Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-07-2001, 02:59 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Saigo:
I think that most people don't know this but there is a natural glitch in the game i discovered!If they are going to legit raise the levels to 40th then you will be able to memorize many 9th level spells of which gate and imprisonment are a few!If anyone has tried this....you can gate and immediately cast imprisonment on the spot the tanari will show up,this then leaving no chance for the tanari to attack your chrs and giving you a hefty xp bonus(of which you can repeat a few times each day,or till you rememorize the spells!)
This will take time to reach the 40th lvl mark but with the quests they will also add in there,i'm sure that it won't be as long as everyone thinks......althoug i did read somewhere that they don't quite portray the true strenght of most creatures(ie;dragons),therefor i will immediately try the game on hard as diffuculty!
Saigo, to make it easier, just cast Gate while you have Protection from Evil cast and attack the Tanar'ri. It will stand there and not attack you.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-07-2001, 06:00 AM   #22
Dimension X
Dungeon Master

At level 40, I don't think that a demon can be of a problem...

After all, if level 15+ characters can be walking gods, what would level 40 characters be?

------------------
A Drawn Sword;
A Trickle Of Blood;
The Tempest Is Brewing.
Nemesis....
Old 03-07-2001, 08:48 AM   #23
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimension X:
At level 40, I don't think that a demon can be of a problem...

After all, if level 15+ characters can be walking gods, what would level 40 characters be?

To put things in perspective:
[list]
  • Elminster, widely acknowledged as the most powerful wizard in the Realms, is level 29. He has very powerful psionics though - far beyond even that of mind flayers.
  • Halaster Blackcloak, the Mad Mage of Undermountain - level 30.
  • Szass Tam, Zulkir of Necromancy - level 30 lich.
  • Manshoon, wizard leader of the Zhentarim - level 20.
  • Alassra Shentrantra, Chosen of Mystra also known as the Simbul, Storm Queen of Aglarond - sorceress level 30.
  • Fzoul Chembryl, priest of Iyachtu Xvim - level 18.
  • Larloch the Shadowking, former sorcerer-king of Netheril - level 46 lich.

You're definitely dancing with the BIG BOYS at that level.

------------------
    Old 03-07-2001, 09:23 AM   #24
    Memnoch
    Ironworks Moderator

Bringing you another update from the BG2: Throne of Bhaal designers. Some interesting info in here!

David Gaider (Senior Designer)
    NPCs: Sure, we could add the BG1 NPCs into the expansion along with the new NPC...after all, the new NPC is only available in the add-on part of the story (after you defeat Irenicus).

Only thing is, we would have to add all that banter and dialogue for how many more NPCs. Part of the volume with banter comes with the fact that you have to account for numerous combinations of NPCs in the party. Calculate for me how many banters you'd have to have for each NPC to only (and I mean only...that's pretty sparse) have 1 piece of banter with every other NPC. That's, what?, 16x15? 240 entries?

Now try adding in another 24 NPCs.

And, besides, the summoning of the NPCs isn't done like a spell or anything. It's done as part of your abyssal stronghold. And the exact means of doing so is something I'll leave for you to find in the game...it'll make sense, then.

Wildmage options: I'm pretty sure that you can't turn a mage into a wild mage upon going into the add-on section...it's just a straight import of your save game.

You could, however, create a character for the expansion pack and make him a wild mage...and he would be given experience and equipment appropriate. The point of the kit is for those people who want to use it...they can try it in the expansion pack or play BG2 as a wild mage, if they wish.

Adding cloaks and hats to the avatars: I wouldn't mind seeing cloaks, or even hats for that matter, on the avatars.

That said, according to the art department, adding cloaks is another layer of animation that has to be applied to the main avatar, and while it could be done it would be quite difficult and take a great deal of time.

It's been pointed out before that Drizzt's avatar has a cloak. Yes, that's true. A cloak is easily done if it is modeled as part of the character...no layering necessary. But Drizzt's avatar has no choice about wearing a cloak...you can't take it off. It's the fact that when a cloak is optional you have to include it as an extra layer. (By layering, incidentally, I'm referring to the clipping and such that places an object 'behind' something so it looks realistic...like shields and weapons being hidden by body parts when turned and such).

We've gotten a lot of feedback on people wanting more variety in their avatars. No doubt about it. And it's something we're taking to heart.

But as far as an expansion goes, it's not going to happen. We're not sacrificing story time or space for a cloak or a hat, plain and simple.

For a sequel or something along those lines, though, I think it would be appropriate to have those kind of options right from when design is implemented...personally, if we did a game like this again, I'd like to see more paper doll variety and have those paper dolls reflect directly on the in-game avatars. Facial options, hair lengths and styles, facial hair, different styles of clothing and such. Personality is a fun thing to have.

But...all this depends on resources, too. As fun as it'd be, I'd still have to agree that if I was forced to choose between content and extra avatar options, I'd have to go for content. You could have the prettiest, most unique avatar in the world and it wouldn't do you much good in a short game.

And besides...the comment someone made about 'taking out quests' to put in avatars would only work if the designers did the animations. More realistically, you'd have to yank out about half the monster animations (if not more) in order to add that kind of complexity to the avatars. I suppose for some that would be worth it, but I don't know, personally. All I can say is that in future projects, hopefully we'll have the resources to allow for more variety and not be forced to sacrifice content.
    Kevin Martens (Lead Designer)
    Summoning NPCs: There are several options when playing Throne of Bhaal:

1) Import your party from BGII - if they're below 2mil XP they will be bumped up. If you choose this option, you will not be given any items so you should probably be a fairly well equipped when you do this. We can't give anything because you could be at any level of XP prior to 2 mil and we don't want to create duplicate items.

2) Import a character file - any character file can be imported. they will be given a fine selection of non-unique magical items and be bumped to 2 mil xp if they are lower.

3) Start a new Expansion Pack game - You can choose all of the BGII options plus the Wildmage Kit. You are set to 2 million XP and given a bag of holding with a variety of magical items according to your class. For example - a fighter would get different items than a mage. With this option - you will only have to play alone for a short time (10-15 minutes) before being allowed to summon party members.

As to the summoning - the player can summon into his new stronghold, any BG2 NPCs that aren't dead and aren't currently in the party. I'll leave the details on why and how you can do this to the game. You'll find out when you play. The NPCs will all be more powerful than their previous versions and be outfitted accordingly.

------------------
    Old 03-07-2001, 09:38 AM   #25
    Memnoch
    Ironworks Moderator

This is a must-read preview of Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal by Gamespot. Just a warning: it contains spoilers from BG2 but some really interesting stuff here. Best preview I've read yet.

------------------
    Old 03-07-2001, 10:11 AM   #26
    Moridin
    Fzoul Chembryl

Just saying Whooohoooo!
    Of course I haven't even finished BGII yet

------------------
    Old 03-07-2001, 12:11 PM   #27
    Hesperex

Damn QUAL I say

------------------

Old 03-08-2001, 04:58 AM   #28
    Memnoch
    Ironworks Moderator

C'mon guys, help me bump this thread for all those who don't know how to move to page 2

------------------
    Old 03-08-2001, 05:24 AM   #29
    Griever
    Manshoon

level 40... you could beat the hell out of that level 30 lich... hes 1 and youre six... no quite a match... including elminster... and I LOVE cheating... hwehwehwehwe.... hhmmmmm

------------------

Tifa has her Cloud, Squall his Rinoa, Sephiroth?? hehe
    Old 03-08-2001, 09:20 AM   #30
    merc widowmaker
    Dungeon Master

Bump

------------------

Nobody tells me what to do, not even me !