Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 06-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
maciek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do I "Protect" using the "Guard/Protect" action button? (the one that looks like a shield)

According to the manual, "If a character is selected to be protected, the character will be followed and any creatures attacking the character will be attacked." (p16, near bottom)

Yet, when I click on the shield (or press F1), and then try to click on another char in my party, I get the "do not enter" icon (circle with a diagonal across it). This sounds like it could be very interesting function (e.g., could have my archers set to protect the muscle in the front row, and then I could just manipulate the latter), but I just can't get that to work. Has anyone else?

BTW, the Guard function, where you drag out an area to be guarded I find is super useful. I usually drag out a big circle to guard for the fighters at some chokepoint ahead, and then drag out a smaller circle for the long range chars (archer, etc) right behind that, and then, if all is quiet, send out a hidden thief up ahead to scout out for baddies, which will come chasing after him into the trap... totally automates the micro-management, and you can then focus purely on support units, such as healer or mage or bard. I've played Baldur's Gate 1&2 before, but only now do I realize how super handy this function is!

[ 06-23-2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: maciek ]
maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hmmm. I do not know. I use the Guard function, but not the Protect one. I think I got it to work when I experimented upon first getting the game. Bear with me for a few hours and I'll get back to you (I'm supposedly "at work" right now, hence I cannot play IWD).

I'm not sure that you want to use Protect over Guard anyway. I believe Protect only targets creatures that target the character protected. If you have two fighters at the front, or if the enemies switch their targets, the character who is protecting will not do anything.

You've got good tactics with Guard. I'll get back to you in about 7 hours about Protect, if no one else has figured it out/enlightened us yet.

[img]smile.gif[/img] WELCOME TO IRONWORKS, MACIEK!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
maciek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmmm, that's a good point about the "protector" being useless if another frontline char is attacked. I do see one use still, where in your party you have one uber-killing-machine, with the remaining chars acting as long range or support. Then all protectors would protect a single char, and thus be not wasted. I suspect such occasions/parties would be rare, but might be interesting nonetheless.

OK, I think I can manage the 7h... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Does uber-killing machine = dwarf fighter? I think so...

That use of protect is good, but only if all other characters are using missile weapons.

One thing that might not be so good, however, is if multiple tough opponents or opponents of differing strengths attack the "tank" (standard term here for best melee/damage taking character). A benefit to micromanagement is that you can focus ALL attacks on one enemy at a time, which reduces the attack potential of your attackers (3 at full strength is less harmful than 4 at hurt).

I tend to micromanage. However, you can reduce the tiresomeness of it by selecting several characters at a time (Select All and Control + click to take out the one's you don't wish to use OR click and drag on the ground to encompass the ones you do wish to use).

Forgive me if you know all that stuff already [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Here I am, maciek, getting back to you...

I think Protect is useless for the purpose you want it for. I too cannot click on a character. The best I can do is protect an area. Even so, it probably does not work using archers to protect melee fighters. I got the sense (from the manual) that it was envisioned to be a function for the protection of weak archers, healers, and mages. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Whoa, just had an idea I want to test, will post again in a few minutes.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Okay, I give up. It doesn't work if you try to click on the portrait, either.

I noticed that my interface only shows "Guard" when I hold the cursor over the button. That, and the fact that we cannot get protect to work, suggests to me that Interplay took out that option in HoW, or possibly did not even include in the original IWD. Maybe there's a way to switch it on in the game options or the configure menu, but I haven't noticed it.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
maciek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, thanks for confirming my suspicions. "Guard" function will more than do...

Now if only I could remap the keys for selecting party members ('=' for "all" is so damn far from left hand)... Actually, what I really wish IWD had was more C&C style party selection, where you can assign the number keys to user-defined subsets of the party (e.g., "1" for tanks, "2" for archers, "3" for 1 tank and a thief, etc.)... oh well, maybe one day someone will write the perfect RPG... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #8
Roboghost
Manshoon

RE: Re-map

You can re-map some of the keys in the Configuration Editor--which you have if you have Heart of Winter.

This is where you can challenge yourself and set the difficulty to Heart of Fury mode as well...
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
maciek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Alas, unfortunately you don't seem to be able to reconfigure the keys for party selection in this configuration editor, unlike in Baldur's Gate, where you could...