Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 06-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #11
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

How are you today, Isabeau? She strolled along the pathway leading to her dearest friend. You know how it's like for me these days, don't you? Her steps were deliberate and slow. You didn't think that I'd forget you, did you?

Above, the skies were clear and the sun shining down quite naughtily, and to those who had known her before, they would detect that her skin tone had gone several shades darker.

I think I'm happy here, Isabeau. Nodding half to herself, she looked at her surroundings unseeingly. Yes, I think I'll stay here, Isabeau. With you. There was no wind, but her heart was at peace, safe from the horrors of a scandalous, heart-wrenching past. No regrets, my dear. No regrets...

Yes, that was how she would live. Here with her beloved, without the blade that had caused so much sorrow. And painful flashes of the past, which continued to haunt her. Bending down, she plucked out a weed before the tombstone.

"May I be as restful as you are, dear friend."

Yet some things, though she now chose to leave them behind, could never be erased from her mind.

One such memory was upon her now. Four years ago it had been, when the moment of crisis had occurred. Sighing, she closed her eyes, recalling the turning point of her life...
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #12
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Beads of sweat rolled down Arrakis's smooth half-elven face, matting his hair and leaving a salty taste on his lips. His chest heaved as he collapsed to the ground, the muggy summer air filling his insatiable lungs. The forest was hot and sticky with humidity. It had been a long run. Casting his invisibility cloak to the side, he craned his neck to look downward at a head of raven hair. Between breaths he quietly muttered "I'm sorry I fell, I hope you're all right. I had to stop. Had to..." He coughed harshly, moving to the side to allow her to get up.
Killing Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
mistral4543

As she pulled herself up, a bolt of searing terror shot down her spine at her recognition of THAT voice.

No, it could not be...

"A... Arrakis?" Hollow was her tone as she slowly tilted her head in the direction of his voice. Her eyes widened as the sight of him confirmed her suspicions.

"What.. are you doing here?" There was something terrifying in this moment, in his proximity, which shook her from head to toe.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #14
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

He lay immobilized, somewhat puzzled by her reaction. "Mistral, what's the matter?"

He clammered shakily to his feet, taking a bold step toward her. The scythe at his collarbone glowed a bright red, but he nonetheless reached out for her hand. His fingers were thin and rough. "Mistral, it's all right. I know you don't understand quite what's happened tonight. I don't either. But it's safe now, it's all right. I know that much." His dark blue eyes stared steadily at her face, seeking a reaction.

[ 06-28-2006, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Killing Spree ]
Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
mistral4543

As her vision improved and reality settled in, she glanced about nervously, then focused whatever energies she had left, upon his intense eyes.

"I... I'm so confused, Arrakis." Her hands were clammy as they strayed to the Shattered Reality subconsciously. "Do you hate me? Do you hate all my kinsmen?" Should I hate you for killing my father? A father who had slain your own kinsmen? The very thought of these complications pounded her head.

"What would you have me do, at a moment like this?"
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Arrakis averted his eyes from hers, feeling a strange, unbearable scrutiny under their gaze. "I do not know what to tell you, Mistral." He took in her features slowly, still avoiding her eyes, trying to avoid certain memories tied to the feud between their families.

"What I do know is that whatever ill that was done unto my family by Freelight, was not your doing. However, I also know..." He shuddered, and finally looked at her eyes. A coldness washed over him, despite the heat surrounding them. "That you have every reason to hate me."

Penitently, he sunk to his knees before her, still grasping her hand in his grimy fingers. "I beg for your forgiveness on behalf of my family. Please, just leave my sister be. Kill me if you wish. It is what I deserve."
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #17
mistral4543

Gazing down upon his locks of sandy hair, she could feel her temples throbbing even as waves of burning blood crashed against the membranes of her veins.

"I have never thought of harming Chani." Was it true? Could she utter these words with a clear conscience? Perhaps not, which was the words came out haltingly. Or was it the struggle to retain sanity that zapped her remaining strength?

One thing she could be certain of, however. She could not hurt him. Not when he knelt before her so sincerely and spoke in such a heartfelt way.

She would sooner kill herself than touch him, with the intention to injure.

"I think... we met at the wrong time." How different things would have been, if I had met you in earlier years. Perhaps we might have been good friends, as our fathers were... but is that wishful thinking on my part? Unwittingly, her free hand placed the sword upon the ground and traced the trickle of perspiration down his temple. I might have ended up as your companion, instead of Larry's. At this, her heart constricted involuntarily. Our union might have ended this family feud in the most optimal way possible.

But what was the use of speculation, when the story had been woven? The image of a broken-hearted ranger tore her own insides unbearably. I need to get away... I need peace.

Impulsively, she grabbed the Shattered Reality and placed it into Arrakis' soiled hands.

"This should have been returned to your race more than two decades ago." Her eyes were getting moist; whether from exertion or sorrow, she could not discern.

"Here, take it."
Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter continued to hold Chani tightly him. He was almost in disbelief that she was here in front of him. It felt good to have her here with him, pressed tightly against him, locked in their embrace. I was right... she must have been here all along, but why? Deiter shut his thoughts off then and loosened their embrace to look down at her. His hand reached up and slowly traced a trail along her jaw line as he watched her. He loved her eyes, how full of life they had been, and how that energy was making its way back into those gray-blue orbs.

Deiter lowered his head closer to her then, hesitant at first. He wanted to say something first, he wanted her to know how much she meant to him, how much finally being back with her meant to him. "I love you." He said softly, and then he kissed her like he wished he had all those years ago.

[ 06-28-2006, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #19
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Arrakis rose slowly to his feet as he held the blade flat in his palms. He stared at it a moment in shock. He had only expected this weapon to be the instrument of his execution. He did not suppose he should accept it. He feared what she would ask him to do with it. And yet, it didn't matter as he gazed at her countenance and read the sorrow in her expression. He felt akin to her in that moment, though he knew himself to be far less innocent than she.

Quietly, he slid the blade between his belt and his side in a gesture of silent acceptance. He would not deny her gift. He knew the lore of these swords as well as any, and knew a connection to its history often ment more anguish than anything else. He would bear that burden for now. He would do anything for her in this moment.

Breathlessly he tried to express his feelings, the scythe glaring red on his collar. He struggled with his words, pausing frequently and wishing he could flow into the richer tongue of the elves. "Mistral... I do not know... Well, rather, I do not understand... Why you have given me these gifts. Both of my life and of this blade of destiny. But... As awed as I am, I know what must be done." He stepped closer to her, inhaling deeply as an unfamiliar ache swept across him. With the utmost sincerity and tenderness, he held her face delicately in his hands and brushed her tears aside. "Please. Whatever it is you need from me, I will set my life to it. Let me help you find... Peace. It is something I will never achieve for myself." A mixture of sorrow, empathy, and longing in his eyes, he softly placed a kiss on her forehead before staring directly into her eyes, ready to accept whatever she set before him.

Chani melted into his embrace as their lips met. Old feelings, long since buried, resurfaced in an instant, and the kiss became a manifestation of all the hope she'd lost. With an almost violent intensity she clung to him, desperate to make sure it wasn't all just a dream. And yet, when they finally parted, she could not help but feel all the flames die down within her and a wash of shame overcome her. She looked up at him, with confusion and pain in her eyes. Noticably, she did not return his words. She only whispered one. "Why?"
Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter noticed the lack of response to what he had said to her, hitting him hard enough as if he had been physically struck. His own pain covered his face as he thought of what to say. "Why? Why any of this happened is a long story..." He let go of her then and motioned for her to sit next to him at the counter as he reclaimed his seat. Sitting close to her, he grasped her hand and gently rubbed the back of it with his thumb. A long silence developed until he felt confident enough to tell her.

"Jas had came to me in the middle of the night. The old elf had discovered some ruins in the forest out to the east and wanted to show them to me. We would continue to make trips out there exploring it, which explained why you saw me leave with him more often than usual. I couldn't tell you what we were up to though... I wanted to surprise you with what we found." Deiter fell silent then, focusing on Chani's hand clasped inside his own. Several minutes went by until he continued on.

"It was late one night, and Jas and I had found part of a door sunken into the ground. We managed to get it open and curiosity drove us on to explore inside. The runes etched in the walls soon made it apparent that the people who had built this were worshipers of Hextor." Deiter's expression remained oddly placid as he recited the event. "Not wanting to stay in a tainted place such as that, we quickly made our way out only to be ambushed. The men... I don't even know if I could call them men... They were strange hunched over creatures in ragged black clothing... We fought against them but were soon overcome. I don't know what happened to Jas... I was knocked out soon after and awoke to find myself barely alive in an unfamiliar forest. That's when Nefris found me..."

Deiter's complexion paled as he retold what had happened to him while captured by the mage. His green eyes were no longer looking at their hands, but at horrors staining his memories. His voice was low and his hand tightened around hers, though not enough to cause discomfort. Relief seemed to break his countenance as he moved on to the children finding him and the village he stayed at. He turned to her then, and grasped her other hand. "That's why."
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote