Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 01:19 PM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ok, I am thinking about getting a lap top. I don't want to spend two arms and three legs for it. Also, I know this is a very stupid question, but do they all have internet/e-mail capability. I have heard something about "wireless/cordless" internet capability. What is that about? I would like answers and maybe recommendations. And guys, PLEASE, no techno-babble. Those of you who know me, know how little I know---so keep it simple please. Thanks, in advance for the help.

*hugs*

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB
Laughing Hyena

Old 09-10-2001, 01:22 PM   #2
MagiK

Reeka Im not really a laptop guru, however I do know that nearly every laptop has what are called PCMCIA or PC card slots. These slots allow you to install things like modems and network cards. Newer laptops may also come with a 10/100 network card with an RJ45 ethernet jack in the back...looks a lot like a phone cord jack. Hope that helps.

errr you said no technobabble...ummm I don't know how to say it any other way some laptops have network connections built in others have plug in modules...

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-10-2001).]

Old 09-10-2001, 02:06 PM   #3
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

Hey Reeka,
For a little over a year I have had my IBM thinkpad i series (very dependable) and would recommend either an IBM or a Dell as I have heard nothing but good about both .... also most all laptops have at least a modem and network card (make sure before you buy though ... hope this helps ......
Old 09-10-2001, 02:07 PM   #4
ScottR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Almost every new laptop will have a modem as a standard option (PCMIA modem). If you are not looking to replace your desktop unit you can pick up, say, a Celeron system for a very reasonable price. Wireless connections will either be IR or the new Blue Tooth (or Blue Chip can't remember). At the moment they are usually only an issue for network connections.

Laptops are probably cheaper in the States than the UK (everything else seems to be) so you should be able to get a good deal even on a limited budget. You could always buy an externally powered serial port connecting modem for an older unit. After all if you are close to a phone line you are close to a power source
Old 09-10-2001, 03:31 PM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

OKI, from my own hardearned experiences as a computers hate me mucho.. Whatever some happy people tells you... NEVER EVER USE Windows ME.. The chance of that you will end up at one of the few happy users of ME is slimer than the half of an ants leg boiled and fried in napalm...

Get old good buggy 98, at least thoose bug you can hunt down, or if you get enough RAm use Win2k..

Otherwise, check out DELL´s new series, pretty good machines for pretty lot of money! (hey, it´s a portable right?) But fair prices at least. If you can burn some money, check out the Vaio computers, the deluxe and cream de la cream of portables.. but the pricetag is also..very very high.. But they got it all..

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-10-2001, 03:46 PM   #6
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Hey sis!!

Ok, let me see if I can do this is plain English....

I would strongly recommend going with either a Dell or an IBM. They have great support and are very solid machines (few bugs and won't 'cause you lots of headaches).

As far as Internet Connection goes....you can set it up a couple of different ways.

1. You can get a modem for the laptop, and then it would use a regular phone jack just like a desktop computer would.

2. You can get a "wireless modem" that allows you to connect your laptop to a cell phone for total portability.

3. If you want to get really into it (and this will only work when you're at home), you can use a network card to be able to hook up to your cable modem.

Hope this helps, if you need more info, then let me know.

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
Good guys CAN get the girl, if they only have a little patience!
Old 09-10-2001, 04:35 PM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Hello Reeka, long time no see. I agree with everything above. I would like to add that no matter what type of system that you get, don't get an integrated video card (This is a card that shares your computers main memory). THEY SUCK. Also, double check on the monitor. Try to get one without much reflectivity and the largest size you can afford. I would also recommend getting a system with a DVD player as you can double the laptop as a portable DVD player. I have to TOTALLY agree with WOLFGIR, DON'T GET WINDOW'S ME. I have been using Windows ME on my computer and have been having total nightmares about it. I currently can not access my DVD player because ME crashed on me. I tried to re-install ME from a Window's ME UPGRADE and it made things worse. A friend at work is letting me borrow his Windows XP installation CD, but I haven't tried it yet to recommend it. Try to get as much memory as you can get (at least 64MB) and don't get anything slower than a 700 Mhz system. All of what I just said depends on what you want to do with the computer. If all you need it for is a portable word processor, or a DVD player, you can skimp a bit. If you can get one with a TV connection, all the better. That way you can use the DVD player to connect to your (or others) home entertainment systems. (It's really cool when you hook up to a stereo and let the DVD's rack out). As for the modem, if you want to go wireless, you have to remember that whatever you use, you will be charged for it. If you have an unlimited calling plan with a cellular provider and you expect to use the internet a lot then you are covered. If not, ask about rates. Some providers will charge you by how much data you transfer, others will charge by the minute. I don't use this option as it's a little more than I can afford at the moment (Damn that e-Bay - LOL). Make sure that it looks good to you too. After all, you are going to be lugging it around with you and staring at it a lot. Check up on some options as well (carrying case, extra batteries, etc). Extra batteries come in real handy. Anything else can help you with, just give a yell.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL