Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #1
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Just wondering, will the characters' health and stamina ever increase beyond the starting point? Just reach another village but their hp/sta never seem to increase.

edit : Oh, Is there anyway to increase my inventory space so that I can carry more item?

[ 07-20-2005, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Lucern
Quintesson

Kakero - I can only answer from Betrayal at Krondor...but it's the same engine so it might be the same.

Health and stamina do go up, gradually. The combat remains believeable through the entire game this way, preventing any character from taking a ridiculous amount of hits before reducing his combat effectiveness. Travelling tends to increase health and stamina, and strength goes up in hard fights, along with those other skills.

In Betrayal at Krondor, you're limited in what you can carry by what's in the inventory - no extra backpacks or anything. Shops are your friends, and extra equipment is your enemy. In BaK, though, you can do a few things for extra storage. Leaving things outside in caches and bags is risky, as it may disappear. Chests are safer, but you don't wanna leave for too long. Word-boxes are even safer, and in v 1.02, infinitely safe. Shop-keeps will hold onto what you sell them forever, but you have to buy it back. Again, this is if the engine kept all of these features [img]smile.gif[/img]

So is Antara any good? I read a very harsh review of it, perhaps by those expecting it to be Betrayal at Krondor 2 (Return to Krondor, which also flopped lol).
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I'm in chapter 6 now.

So far I do not see the hp/stamina increase. And the inventory space in limited. Right now my gold is max so every enemy I met and just left them untouched because I couldn't carry anymore.

The game is quite good ( I tend to judge FPV games highly ). though mostly you'll be exploring the outside/wilderness. There's no dungeon to explore in this game (so far). Since your hp/sta is fixed. Getting injured during battle can be very dangerous because of the lack of healing pot ( if you are reluctant to spend your money like me ). Also as powerful your magics are you are somewhat limited to using them because they drain your stamina and will be the death of you if enemies manage to hack your mage.

The annoying part - The night/day seems to go too fast. And before you know it your party are tired and need to rest. Oh, the amount of illegal operation I get in this game is starting to get on my nerve.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Lucern
Quintesson

I guess we're comparing apples to much older apples, so my 'help' might not really be worth anything

In Betrayal at Krondor money could easily be quite a problem - you'd be lifting the worst swords and armor for a paltry 5-6 gold, but at a few moments you can really cash in. In one of the chapters a city is going through a guild crisis, and all of the wares are overpriced. The good news is that they also buy at very high rates, so after that gold isn't much of an issue.

With the dungeons in that engine you aren't missing a whole lot. Think mazes that burn through your torches with an encounter at every turn.

The only way I could figure out that my HP/Stamina were going up is that they'd show up as red in the character sheets. It, like most skills, grow pretty gradually. Since I travelled a lot, even my magician has 120 HP/Stamnia total though He's a terror on the battlefield.

If you haven't played Betrayal at Krondor - it's fairly hard to get working but it's totally worth it (and I can help anyone who needs to get it running).

Edit: it was also released by Sierra to generate interest in either Antara or Return to Krondor. It's downloadable in several places.

[ 07-27-2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Old 07-27-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
In Betrayal at Krondor, your hp/stam went up one point every two weeks of game time that passed. So if you took your time and rested often, you would tend to gain more hp/stam. These increases were never announced of course, though the first time you looked at the char screen after a change, any value that had changed was highlighted. Of course, that didn't tell you if it had gone up +1 since you last checked, or +5...

One game I got a copy of Thiful's Bird Migrations via a sidequest, and then bought another one at a store. I sat in the store and read all through both books 100 times (that's how many times you can read a book before it wore out). The shop had cheap rations, which was good, since every 3 readings of the book took 2 days. Yes, I spent 19 weeks of game time sitting in the shop reading. By the time I was done, not only had various skills gone up due to the book, but my health/stam had increased by 10 points.

Any chance BaK could be run on a Mac? I no longer have a PC to try it on.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Lucern
Quintesson

Sorry for the hijack Kakero

Wow, cool info Olorin. I didn't realize it was a time thing and not a travel thing. I've never really stayed in one place that long.

Does reading the book more than once increase your stats more than one time? If so...poor weak Jimmy the Hand needs some help since I spent so much time in Chapter 1.

BaK for Mac sounds like a challenge at least. I got it to work using DosBox, with and without a front-end called D-Fend. The good news is that there is a DOSBox version for Mac.

http://dosbox.cjb.net/

It's worth a shot, right?

I found this text most useful in my search for the right formula to get the game working:

Quote:
Haven't tried this in 0.61 but running it for the first time in 0.62 works perfectly. I'm using floppy version on a P4-2800 with 512 MB RAM and the following settings: machine=svga, cycles=15000 (found it crashed when it was set at 30000, which I guess makes it think it's running on a processor that's too much for it), sblaster=true, xms=false, ems=true. After that you run INSTALL.EXE and set the sound card to Sound Blaster. When running the game, the "loading please wait" message appeared for six seconds, then faded to black and the game started. Combat works well, as does every other feature of the game.
If you've got the cd version, you've got to use Dosbox to mount the drive for your cd rom and install it from there.

And in case you aren't keen on DOS commands (who is anymore?), here's what I did after extracting the zip files to C:/Dynamix/Krondor (or whichever way those slashes go):

>Z:Mount c c:\
>C:
>cd dynamix
>cd krondor
>install (just make sure the basic soundblaster is chosen)
> set sblaster=true
> set xms=false
> set ems=true
> set machine=svga
then I pushed ctrl + F12 until the cycles were at 15000, typed krondor and was amazed to see the "Loading Betrayal at Krondor, please wait." screen.

With a Dosbox front-end (and you'll see one on that first link for Mac OS X) you'll find those easier to set and you should only have to do it once.

I found that the files on Home of the Underdogs didn't work given these directions, but downloading it elsewhere did. I was disappointed that I couldn't simply install it from my old disks though, for whatever reason.

Edit: my front end does not indicate an svga option, but VGA seems to work.

[ 07-28-2005, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Old 07-28-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I've tried playing BAK. But the graphic put me off ( I started to dislike dos type graphic every since I was spoil by Morrowind ). Plus I don't hear any music or sound in the game.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:57 AM   #8
Griefmaker
The Magister

BAK was far superior to BIA in my opinion. The combat and graphics were better in BIA, but I still think the story in BAK and the overall feel of BAK was far better than BIA.

However, I did like BIA and think anyone who likes rpgs should play it.

BTW, one thing that always puzzled my was that my strength did not increase in BIA through combat like it did in BAK. I am not sure if it is because I did not play it with a patch that fixed that problem or what the deal was, but I never saw any increases in strength, health, or stamina--only skills. It was weird, and VERY challenging--and quite fun.

Kakero, I am glad to see people playing some of the classic games again. I think in many ways they are better than some of the newer games that only focus on pretty graphics, but have fluff for content. If you can get yourself past the graphics of BAK, I think you may really enjoy the game (assuming you like BIA, of course).

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

The problem with BIA that i have at the moment is, because i have a faster comp nowadays, when i'm trying to walk from one point to another it flies by. Makes navigating a bit of a hassle. Thus anyone know how to fix this.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Don't use your arrows on your keyboard. Use your mouse and slowly click on the directional arrows on top left of the screen of the game. Don't press too hard though.