Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 03:41 PM   #281
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

THE TREEHOUSE

Myron Epimetheus

Anger. Anger and a bitter resentment. The heat of these feelings burns within the little man dispelling even the persistent chill within his bones. He has been violated. Angry. So angry is he that the circle he scribed around the Hag allows her not even the freedom to twitch her limbs or speak a single mocking syllable in the blasphemous tongue of her kind. It is a mighty circle to contain so small a demon, but this demon is small in appearance only for there is a terrible strength within her, a strength unlike any the little man has ever seen even in his journeys through the planes. Immobile as she is still the strange aggressiveness within her seeks after his thoughts even through the circle and never has he known a being of the lower planes, however mighty and terrible, to be able to do such a thing. He is angry and resentful but even those emotions could not have brought him to the casting of the Spiritwrack which now torments the hag, but he must remain safe as he seeks after the source of her strange and dangerous power.

He must know and even anger gives way to the disciplined seeking after insight which has become his very life. Once more he mutters and the character of his vision changes that he might see more clearly the strange movement he perceives to still be taking place about the immobilized demon. Something moves the air about her, but there should be no air within the circle. He hears it then, a whisper within the air and again his mutterings change that he might know what this whisper says. Insight greets him then with a terrible and frightening clarity and the little man stops short as a mocking laughter greets his lifeless ears. There is no whisper in the air, nor any motion. The air itself whispers and moves as if alive. Yet this is the air of the grave and its whisper is the unspeaking of life and its movement is the draining of life into stillness.

Yes! O yes! Such a splendid and predictable fool and such a delightful mind to probe ..... So many secrets! So much learning tucked into such a little space ..... Yes! And now you know the secret behind my little Zhy’do’rah ..... And such anger! Why one would think a living heart still beat behind your ribs ..... Pitiful, wretched little fool! Even your victory over Zhy’do’rah is an illusion, a triumph I allowed you to deceive yourself into having ..... I have learned from you what I needed and the spells your learning insists must work against her kind are nothing to me ......

There is a hissing in the air as the enchantment of the circle grows suddenly weak. The hag’s voice hisses a curse. There is a flash of light and an explosive sound and she is gone. The stink of brimstone lingers in the air and the stench is heavy with the merriment of a laughing hatred.

Never forget, little man, that nothing is so free as the wind .....
Old 06-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #282
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Magical research was a complicated painstaking task. Much like surgery it required absolute precision. One ill-fated syllable or mis-timed gesture could cost a wizard much more than his own life. This task was no exception, and in fact was much more difficult than most magical research Dantes had previously done, and he had done a lot of magical research. The intricacy of this spell was completely unique to anything Dantes had ever dealt with before. It was like somone specifically set out to make it near impossible to break apart the pieces of the spell. (The only way one could learn a particular magic like this, is to slowly dicern its original components and then piece it together as a whole.) Normally that is not hard, but the runestone was resisting. Dantes had of yet through 2 days of research accomplished nothing. He was getting frustrated, and was running out of time. What Dantes' teacher had always told him was that right when your ready to dismiss something, pull it out and look at it again. This was the point where Dantes was at. He just couldn't understand how the runes from the spells kept disjoining themselves, like they were moving. But, he felt something was strange even beyond that, so he didn't want to take the risk of dispelling it altogether. Then he got an idea. Maybe the rune actually had 2 different spells onit. With that Dantes began looking through his notes for things he didn't try. Dantes then found that a slight variation of an identify spell he tried earlier promptly revelaed, that there were in fact two spells guarding the rune. The first appeared to be some sort of spell that caused the runes to shift and covered the rune. the second was a trap set to go off if the other spell was removed. With this information revealed Dantes set about Probing the explosive spell to determine how he would be able to disable it. Then he set set about crafting a dispell magic variation that would be able to disolve the spell. It would be complicated, but it now seemed at least feasible. Dantes was glad as he worked long into the lightless night.

OOC: The events of the above post are covering a whole day. I hope it is somewhat to your liking.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 PM   #283
Lord Starshadow
Quintesson

Syrathic HP:74/74

Syrathic was surprised by Anarrima's answer. It sounded like she had been through a lot more than he could imagine. "It sounds to me that with all you have been through that you must be very strong. I don't think you'd have to worry about succumbing to any darkness. I just hope that we can do our part and get you out of here. Right now, I'm doubting how many of us will make it out of here alive. But I, for one, will appreciate the skills you have." He smiled again. "I seem to have the habit of getting hurt all the time," he finished with a laugh.

[ 06-09-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Lord Starshadow ]
Old 06-10-2003, 12:15 PM   #284
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Morguerat - I missed this earlier – sorry about the delay – seeing to the preservation of the hide should be a straightforward matter, consider it accomplished by the time the smithwork is completed.

Dantes - Nice post. Go ahead and attempt to remove the spell. I’ll post for you after you cast your Dispel. Your focused work on the stone will probably keep you from speaking very much with the others until it is finished.

Brendon - To free your character up, let’s make the safe assumption that Dantes has been too engrossed in studying the runestone to pay anyone much attention. Either he simply did not hear your question or you chose not to ask it so as not to disturb him – take your pick.

The Group - You do need to figure out what you’re going to do next. Dantes is the only character so caught up in what he’s doing as to be unavailable for this discussion. I am going to hold off on my own more general postings so that this conversation can take place. There needs to be some movement toward a decision by the time we get to the end of the thread so that events elsewhere do not progress too far ahead of the party's ability to keep up with them.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #285
TAOWolf
White Dragon

She falls to her knees, grabbing her head... keeping her eyes closed, and trying to keep her mind clear, she reaches into a fold in her cloak, and pulls out a blue mage globe. Setting it upon the rune in her palm, she softly whispers to it and throws it at the creature. Turning towards the wall, she pulls the Warder's Cloak over herself, blending in with the wall....
Old 06-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #286
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

OOC: well my vote it to try and get our elvish healer to lead us back to the drow city and pick up the trail from there, but you have no way to include me in the discussion though at this time since my character is working so my opinion is irrelevant. The leader of the party is Morgy so regardless of what you decide, the decision making process should probably run through him. I will get my dispell magic spell post up by this weekend. Have a good one all
Old 06-15-2003, 10:41 PM   #287
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

OOC>>>After taking so much time to start up again...it is actualy hard for me to get back into character and make a post! I gotta stay on this more often. Come on, y'all! Let's move outta this dingy freaking cave!

Brendon

As Brendon finished his inquiry, he turned to look at the party's mage to realize that he was deeply enthralled in another matter trying to discern the makings of that artifact, and had not even heard the ranger. Thus, Brendon shrugged it off and decided that his desires could and would have to wait until a more convenient time. He finished the gnomish brew of unkown sweet and spicy flavors, and stood up to wash his metal cup out and return it to his bag. It was time to stop sitting around and dreaming, and time to get on the move.

Anarrima

"I thank you for your kind words." She says to Syrathic. "Now I would like to address you all concerning this venture we are about to make." She turns to speak to all that are within earshot, and gathered around. "Morgeraut has mentioned the findings of the wild creatures and their apparent leader that infest the area, and Brendon has mentioned the Giants that I have spoke on before...the ones that have destroyed the drow city where I was held. I would like to add my say that the presence of these strange giants are not natural in this area, and they seem to have a definate motive. The grimlocks may or may not be a menace to reckon, but we all can attest to the knowledge that the giants pose a greater threat to these people that are harboring us now, and maybe moreso than just those that dwell in the Underdark! They are the more dangerous foe, and we must not turn our backs on them to chase cave rats! I ask you all to consider this, and you have my goddess's strength to back your decision. The time to choose and go is now, for we cannot spare more time. Time is against us." She waits and looks around to see if anyone was even considering her. She did not like putting the leader on the spot like she had just done, but he was obviously leading the team away from the real danger at hand.

[ 06-15-2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #288
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Question Mark

Morguerat

Morguerat listened to the cleric and decided that her reasoning was mostly sound. "But I'd rather exterminate a cave rat than have it nipping at my heels the entire trip, perhaps we could combine two tasks into one, investigate teh Drow city, AND work on removing the grimlocks, regardless by now the missing scouts have been noticed and our element of surprise of gone, they will have fortified themselves, and perhaps warned the giants as well, I fear the longer we tarry here the more danger we put ourselves, as well as our hosts in. The very real possibility will be running into larger groups from here out. Patrols will probably be at least doubled, and they will be more likely to scatter as soon as we've been spotted so that they could try and get word about our numbers, and location."

OOC not really trying to push a decision, just give a more tactical view of the problem.

[ 06-16-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 06-17-2003, 07:12 PM   #289
Lord Starshadow
Quintesson

Syrathic HP:74/74

Syrathic nodded at Morguerat's comments. "The idea that we can take care of two things at once is appealing. I would vote for that course of action unless someone can think of something better. The idea that the patrols will be doubled sounds about right, and I feel that we are going to have to face this threat anyway. It may not be possible to ignore the grimlocks. And if they are all working together... well, better to be safe than sorry, I think."
Old 06-18-2003, 06:33 PM   #290
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

The essence of magic was a very particular thing. Even the simplest spell had to be crafted with exquisite care to detail. Every gesture must be timed correctly and completed without the least little mistake, otherwise the spell was ruined. Now creating or revising a spell is even more complicated than the casting. each individual movement or uttered syllable represented a different energy and amount of that energy put into the spell to create teh desired effect. Magical experimentation was about altering those small components to create the desired effect. With so many factors going into a spell this was rarely as easy as simply changing the timing or intonation of certain movements or syllables, or altering different components. Many mages have spent their entire lives looking for the desired effects of the spell they were trying to create, only to end up either killing themselves or wasting their time, with nothing to show for it but notebooks and notebooks of faliures. This was the process Dantes had been contenting with the past few days, through a number of simple and at times complicated tests Dantes had prepared a variation of a dispell magic spell that should, theoretically at least, dispell the trap and leave the runestone with just the ward obscuring the runes, which Dantes was confident he could solve. Without any flourish at all Dantes set about his task, his eyes closed tightly in concentration and his fingers dancing like fireflies as the arcane words flowed smoothly from his lips. Sweat dripped down his brow as the fevered casting neared its end. A bluish glow surrounded the runestone for but a second as the last syllable left Dantes' lips.

OOC: outcome/response is left to our fearless DM, be kind

[ 06-18-2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe ]