Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 07-14-2001, 09:36 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Don't worry about it, it was a fun battle. I replied btw, see if you can guess who I am there! (Someone had already taken Memnoch)

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:02 PM   #12
Erekose
The Magister

I have been a way a little while and boy am i disapointed by what i have missed lol. Larry I don't think Mem was suggesting Ed was a pervert but his methods of providing descriptions of women in his novels were.... perverted? Cheers

------------------
THE RUNES ON THE SWORD ARE THE WORMS THAT ARE WISE
THE NAME OF THE SWORD IS THE SAME AS THE SCYTHE
Erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:08 PM   #13
Waluin

Hmmm...I like Ed's books. I'm kinda with Elaine Cunningham on some of those points, although I sympathize with your points/concerns. When I read Ed's books, however, I dont seem to read it like that though.

Hmm. An interesting arguement though.
Waluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 05:22 AM   #14
dominions
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Waluin:
Hmmm...I like Ed's books. I'm kinda with Elaine Cunningham on some of those points, although I sympathize with your points/concerns. When I read Ed's books, however, I dont seem to read it like that though.

Hmm. An interesting arguement though.
Try reading Stormlight - a very good example of the problem.
It doesn't preclude Ed Greenwood's books being good, but it does detract from them a little.

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum

[This message has been edited by dominions (edited 07-18-2001).]
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:39 AM   #15
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by dominions:
Try reading Stormlight - a very good example of the problem.
It doesn't preclude Ed Greenwood's books being good, but it does detract from them a little.
Never read stormlight. That a FR book?

Thanks for the tip, I'll look out for it next time I got book hunting.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:06 PM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

<font color="white"><u>Harpers Series</u>, to be exact.
</font>

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 07-18-2001).]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:14 AM   #17
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Quote:

<font color="white"><u>Harpers Series</u>, to be exact.
</font>
Then I have to have read it. I own all first edition prints.

Is this the one with one of the "sisters" as a main protagonist? If so, it was one of my favorite Harper novels! EEP! Heh. I really liked it. I think Ed did a rather nice job.

I suppose its just a matter of perspective, although I can certainly see where some people who don't like some the explicit sexuality.
But like I said, it's in the eye of the beholder (no pun intended) on this one. I can see how the arguement can go either way, and I want no part in it. Heh. Consider me a fence-hugger on this

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old 07-21-2001, 02:26 PM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Don't worry mate, nobody gets persecuted for their opinion here, if I have anything to say about it. I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. A guy named Voltaire said that ages ago.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 06:48 PM   #19
DarkPiper
Dungeon Master

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
[B]Elaine Cunningham wrote to me personally! The only bad thing is...it was to rebuke me...
See below.
[QUOTE]Just a quick note to add to my response. After answering your email, I happened upon your post on the FR Novels board. While I understand and respect your opinion about Ed Greenwood’s novels, I am concerned about the manner in which this opinion was voiced.
If you had ever met Ed Greenwood, you would realize that he is not “a pervert with serious issues,”

I dunno. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

For one, why is she writing someone privately about this? For another, authors believing their character(s) are real does happen. I've seen it happen. Granted, only in fandom... but if it can happen to a fan, why not to a pro?

As for trying to portray Elminster as insane, I can only say: uh... where? I've read the Elminster trilogy, SF and CoF, the Avatar trilogy, Finder's Stone.... and nowhere does Elminster come off as a few bottles short of six-pack.

I agree with Memnoch and Larry: it's not the sex, it's the characterization and plotting.

DP

DarkPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 11:52 AM   #20
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The faulty board that we had just weeks ago is also being used by the Forgotten Realms Message board. Therefore, I have been unable to see any updates from their side. (though I guess there would be none, eh? )

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote