Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2002, 08:10 AM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

whats the difference? I am very ashamed beacause I am a chinese head to toe... can anyone enlighten me whats the difference between the two? I probally know the chinese translation of the two, though I doubt I've ever heard of "Zen". Anyways, whats the difference?
Old 10-02-2002, 08:16 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Zat was Zen, and diss is Tao.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
Old 10-02-2002, 08:19 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

zat is very convujin...
Old 10-02-2002, 08:51 AM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Taoism «TOW ihz uhm or DOW ihz uhm», is a philosophy that began in China, probably during the 300's B.C. Taoism is also the name of a religion that began in about the 100's B.C. Through the centuries, the philosophy has influenced artists and writers in the East and West. The word tao (also spelled dao) originally meant road or way. The Tao (Way) represents the characteristics or behavior that makes each thing in the universe what it is. The word is also used to mean reality as a whole, which consists of all the individual "ways."

Zen is an East Asian form of Buddhism. Zen Buddhism is practiced primarily in Japan and has greatly influenced Japanese culture. Since the mid-1900's, Zen has gained many followers in the United States.

The goal of Zen is the attainment of a state of spiritual enlightenment called satori. Zen Buddhists believe meditation is the key to achieving satori. There are two major schools of Zen, Rinzai and Soto. Followers of Rinzai meditate on the meaning of baffling riddles called koans while sitting cross-legged. People who practice Soto meditate in the same position. They also read from the sacred works of Mahayana Buddhism, another East Asian form of the religion. Zen Buddhists believe physical labor contributes to the attainment of enlightenment. They work closely with a teacher called the master, who guides their search for satori.

Zen developed in China, where it is called Chan. According to legend, an Indian monk named Bodhidharma first taught its principles in China in the A.D. 500's. Two Japanese priests, Eisai and Dogen, introduced Chan into Japan. Eisai founded the Rinzai school in the 1100's, and Dogen established the Soto school in the 1200's. Zen quickly became a major religious and cultural force in Japan.

Hope that helps. They're from the World Book.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

weird, I've never heard of Chan... or maybe it is pronounced differently in china. anyways, thanks a lot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

That is...interesting. I am Chinese and I always tought that Zen was originated from Japan. Hmm...I better meditate on this.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:16 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

The Tao is everything, including nothing.

The Zen that can be described is not Zen.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.