Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Some idiot in my condo complex decided to try to install some cables by himself and cut off my power since Friday. Turns out I need a new power supply for my computer (that's the small part, he ruined my microwave and stove, as well as many other small things).

Anyway, I called Dell after my power was back, and they walked me through testing the computer, and they're going to send me a new power supply. I'm just wondering if it's a tough job to install, and if there's any other advice anybody can give (other than "don't buy a Dell" which is what I have students telling me at my job.

TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

It's not that difficult... maybe a bit fiddly to plug some cables in in difficult positions, but not complex as such. And Dell is fine.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Is it difficult? ..... No

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Why not hire a tech and give the idiot the bill?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Damn that Callum

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Dell are awesome, and that's coming from someone who deals with over 400 of the things daily

Now, is it difficult? depends. In your average pc? no.

In some Dells? yes.

What model do you have? I need series (Optiplex/dimension etc) and what size (Desktop, full desktop, compact, etc) but in the end, it will likely be a 2min job [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

It's a 4700 desktop, IIRC.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I would like to think that since Dell is sending out the new PSU that it will be the right one. However, since I needed all the discs that were to go with my last Dell, and they sent out all the wrong stuff, albeit, they sent it out really fast, that I'm not so sure.

To the Dell thing, I ran that PC for around 5 years, and it ran ok, until I got a bit carried away with the upgrades...Which necessitated the purchase of this rig, that, and NWN 2, anyway...However, in so far as I know, the lady that bought the Dell from me is still using it for internet browsing, etc, if at a substantially lower scale, PC wise, than what I had had it at.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ah yes, Dell and 'stuff'. They must be good, there are at least 2500 of the things where I work. Heck, there is even one at the top of the stairs here in the fortress where the spousal unit and daughter element share the net.

However, they are extremely proprietary, and user unfriendly. You can only use a Dell power supply, as it is non-standard wired for all common standard PCs.

You must trust Dell to send you the right 'stuff'. It has been a many story told as RTBs above; "Dell sent me this and this for my rig, however, at the end of the day, none of it worked due to it being the wrong 'stuff'". But alas, there is hope yet. You might get the correct one, and actually be able to manipulate the wiring to install it yourself. But, on the bright side. When you do get the correct 'stuff', it will only fit one way!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Damn that Callum
I'm like lightning on FIRE!