Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2002, 03:17 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

First of all, 3rd edition is a little bit stranger to me, I'm a 2nd edition man!

I'm confused about character generation and feats. There's cool feats for mages like spell penetration, maximize spell but they cost 1 slot more! For ex, I can cast 4 fireball but if I maximize them it's only 2. isnt it a bad thing? I'm thinking about 1 paladin (as leader, so I'll max his INT WIS CHA) 2 tank 1 dwarf fighter 1 human fighter. 1 cleric 1 mage and 1 thief.

should I multiclass my fighters with few rogue levels? can you give me some advices? thanks
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:32 PM   #2
Kalak
The Magister

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT use a paladin or monk as party leader if you ever want to get paid for anything.

As for the maximized spells I'm not sure what your talking about as their is a feat in 3rd edition that I don't believe is in IWD II where you can memorize a spell as a higher level and then gain more damage for it. However, you do have spell focus which allows you to give ppl minuses to resisting your spell and their are the feats like Aegis of Rime, which allows you to due extra damage with an elemental spell and gain resistance against that spell. Read the text closely on the feats because you'll notice if you can take it more than once it will do roughly the same thing again, but just give you that much more of an edge.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
Baldassare
Dungeon Master

I was also new to 3rd edition and had to read the IWD2 manual pretty thoroughly to acquaint myself with the ins and outs.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:42 AM   #4
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

First of all there is no big deal in having the Paladin as a leader (main talker) as long as you use another guy (the cleric ?) when you claim the reward*

Dwarf fighter is ok. I would take a fighter4/BarbarianX instead, since you already have a fighter.

Human fighter is ok, you can take a single level of rogue if you wish, then you will not need a pure rogue and can take a druid instead of him.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I got a problem. If anybody can help me about it, I'll be glad. I noticed that the social abilities of the leader is important. I mean CHA,WIS,INT. And the leader should be a strong melee character because he's on the front! But if I raise these stats (CHA INT WIS) he's lack of STR CON DEX. any idea about it?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:08 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

My Leader is an Asimar Paladin with the following starting stats:

str:18
dex:10
con:10
int:10
wis:12
cha:20

Charima is important for paladin's skill so they make the best character to use when talking to people.

But you don't really need high charisma. Just spend your points into Intimidate, diplomacy and bluff.