Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

You know, I've been wondering this for a long time now. Why do men spit? Do you guys have some extra amount saliva in your mouths? Do you think it looks rough and tough? Are you marking your territory LOL? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] What is it? I really must know because I don't spit, and I haven't ever seen a woman spit either, so have no idea.

I know this is a bit of a gross topic LOL, sorry for that. But today as I was walking across the street to get lunch, freezing as it is, I must have seen at least 10 spit globs on the sidewalk and/or road. It was like avoiding potholes LOL. Blech!

Can somebody please explain this phenomena?

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

I feel the need to spit when im drinking/smoking heavily it just seems to build up.

I dont think its an issue of trying to look hard or anything it just happens, then again if you're brought up in Aberdeen then you are kinda taught to spit from the age of 3 months and onwards

Preferably in the direction of people who are obviously new to the toon. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No good reason that I can justify. Sometimes, it's just to see if I'm spitting well today [img]smile.gif[/img]

I do try to be courteous, though, if that's possible... I try to spit out of areas where people normally walk, like sidewalks and such.

Parking lots... sorry. There is no safe place to walk [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have no need nor desire to spit as you are describing it, LadyZ.

More than likely, it is a learned behavior and one that I am glad to say I did not get cursed with.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Here's the big secret...it keeps us slim. So if you see a big guy, it's safe to assume that he didn't spit enough when he was younger. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

The only person I know who spits a lot, is a girl. And boy can she spit. Fires it out several metres.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

You mean getting rid of excess water?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

When I am exercising, if I don't have a water bottle, my mouth gets dry, so I spit to make the saliva flow.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Spitting is like having an annoying girlfriend. You keep getting rid of it, but it always comes back.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

A lot of people in China spit. I believe there's an old joke in Taiwan about it. "Why do mainlanders spit all the time? Because ever since the Communist party took over, they've been trying to get the bad taste out of their mouths!"

But really, I think part of it is the air quality here just really causes a need to spit. That and a lack of education about how unsanitary it is to spit everywhere you go. I find that people with a basic understanding of hygene in this part of the world spit a lot less, and into trash cans. When I spit, it's either into a trash can or into a tissue which then finds its way into a trash can.

It's not an issue of being cool, it's an issue of clearing the gunk out of the throat. That said, I still can't believe the number of people who I see spit indoors here, on the floor, next to where they're sitting because they're too frikkin' lazy to get up and walk that ONE METER to the trash can. I mean, even a dog knows not to do its business where it sleeps, so to speak.