Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #101
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

NPC Cleric of Demeter to Gillian

The days before this had been slow and quiet but for the occasional farmer coming in to inquire about weather predictions or best days for pruning. The older farmers would sometimes come here for healing if they were injured or for remedies for illnesses...as they did not put much faith in modern medicine that the Medical Facility offered. Yet just today, this building had been visited by two elves, a wolf and a mage's apprentice! What an adventurous day!

"I regret to inform you, sir, but we probably have nothing here of interest to such as youself. We're not frequented by visitors much, and what few items we acquire by trade for our services, we sell to Oley or to Vindson. Our in-house stock is purely clerical in nature. If you and your master are looking for wizarding things, no such place but Oley's hut outside of town would be of much help. Take heed, however. He's not all there, if you know what I mean. Likes to sip on the brew a bit excessively. He's crazy enough to do real harm to somebody if he's sober enough to voice the words of his spells...which usually isn't often enough to worry about it. The Lockes had him thrown out of town when he became too unruly. Told him he'd have to leave. That was a day I'll never forget! His entire house began floating through the air, people screaming, thinking it was going to fall on them...oh my what a day that was! Well, like I said...he's the one you'll be wanting to find...if you are brave enough to risk it."
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #102
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Xaver

"Lead the way."

As Xaver followed Pandaros he tried to recall anything he might know about fighting giants.

"Giants, eh? The best advice I can give you when fighting those is KEEP MOVING. Don't stand in one place for more than a few moments.

It might be difficult. This dwarf is not one to run away from a fight, but a giant could be more than a match for the two of us. We'd faced some fire giants a few times back in me army days. We'd assign eight to twelve men on one of them...

But hopefully the specimen we have here is not as large or as intelligent as fire giants... is there anything else you could tell from the tracks?
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #103
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

Pandaros

"I don't know giants too well, unfortunately. All I can say is that the tracks were big."

Pandaros set a quick pace down the trail, only slowing when they reached the woodcutter's house.

"As you can see, this place was destroyed by the creature. If you think you can tell anything from the devastation, take a moment to look around."

The scout moved to the spot where tracks led away from the carnage and pointed them out to the dwarf.

"This is where the beast exited. My plan was to move ahead and scout around, but within earshot of each other in case I encounter something dangerous. With luck we'll locate its lair without it noticing us, which would give us time to form a strategy. Either setting traps or getting more help, once we know exactly what we're dealing with."

Pandaros leaned against a tree and scratched at his leg with the end of his bow while the dwarf had a chance to investigate the area and consider the plan.
Kazilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #104
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Xaver

Xaver looked around for a few moments. He studied the house, then the tracks but could make nothing out of it.

"Your plan sounds good enough." he said at last. "Just don't wander too far ahead. And be careful."
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #105
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Kuankreid

The Sleeper Dreamt

Fire consumed the land, cloaking it in ash and shadow. The town lay in ruins; torn in two by a battle the likes of which had never been seen in its small, sleepy walls. Raw magical energy forced into spells, corrupted by shadow, edged against the light of the setting sun… crimson stained the sky, spires of smoke rising to the heavens in an alter of glorious sacrifice.

Locksville was no more.

The titanic battle had claimed the villagers lives; those who were not dead were claimed as shadows; slaves, minions who would serve their duty. Even now, the spectre of Gillian hovered nearby, his shade more obedient in this unlife than it ever had been in life. But the cost… oh the cost. His beloved Ainyra… she lay dead at his feet.

Kuan let out a roar of fury, his cry shattering the still of the night. No one noticed; no one was left to care. Only silence greeted him.

“And for what?!” he demanded at the sky, “So I could wield the power of Shadow? So you could play your pathetic games? I
reject you! I despise you, you who men call gods! You are nothing!”

The young elf rose up from his knees and stared at his hands; bloodied, dirtied, stained. Like his face; like the rest of him. His robes were soiled with the soot and blood of the battle. His fingers closed; like a toothed trap shutting with a sense of finality. He cast his gaze around; against what remained of the wall hung a string of dryads, all lined up and crucified – on their own trees no less. A couple had been impaled, along with the odd druid or ranger. They did not matter; they would be reborn in shadow. No… no what he had to do…
Ainyra.

He closed his eyes, “Any price… even my soul. Give me the power to restore her, and I shall serve you, name you
‘master’. I will be yours, your slave for eternity. My loyalty shall be yours; I shall be sworn to shadow… I ask, nay, beg, that she be spared this fate. Transform me; do as you will. You will have my soul, but my heart is hers.”

His plea was met with silence.

In fury, he wept his heated tears of hate and pain… tears he would weep for the last time. And then the skies opened, drenching the land not in rain, but in lightning. Between the flashes that split the sky in two, that lit up the darkened village, shadows formed. Shadows were reborn from the corpses of the fallen. The faithful were rewarded.

Ainyra rose again, on wings of shadow, in the body of a demoness. The sprite’s soul reborn; imbued with darkness, enhanced with the power of shadow rose again. A succubus stood in place of the small sprite’s body, standing at her master’s side. Inky obsidian eyes met his, regarding him sensually. Her slender ivory hand held his cheek and she murmured, “I would not forsake you, my love.” A small smile cracked at her blackened lips as she lent up and kissed him.

…And the one named ‘Kuan’ was finally at peace.

Kuankreid awoke with a start. Raising a trembling hand to his forehead, he was unsurprised to discover he was drenched in sweat. It had been a dream… just a dream. Ainyra? he called out pensively. His words were not helped by the weakness in his body. Ainyra, where are you?

“I’m right here, you silly elf.” her familiar voice scolded him, as the small sprite flew in view of his face, “What’s wrong?” she asked foregoing their usual quip; indeed her words unusually concerned as she saw his pale face.

“I… just a dream.”

“Is that all?” the spride did not seem convinced, “Well, you look an absolute wreck.” she scolded, “You need to take better care of yourself.”

Landing on his chest, she placed her petite hand on his cheek and added more gently, “I can’t take care of you if you won’t let me. You’re too big and I’m not your mother.” she sighed, “So you need to get better.” Wiping his brow with a small strip of cloth, she leant in and kissed his cheek and gave him a brief hug, “Now go on back to sleep. I’ll keep making my potions and arrows, all right? If you have any more bad dreams, I’m right here. I’ll wake you if anything happens, so just you rest.”

Kuan smiled and nodded, falling back asleep almost immediately.

Fire. Destruction. Burning.

This time, it was
he who was dead.

“Fool” snapped a voice from
somewhere in the darkness; the Void, “You have failed to master the shadow and now not only have you paid the cost, but so have many, many others. Our hopes we entrusted in you; all your hopes, but failed.”

“Where am I? Where’s Ainyra? Who are you?!”

“Lost. Like so many other souls
you failed to protect.” The voice began to fade.

“Wait, I’m not done with you! Come back here!”
“No, it is you we are not done with…” hissed another, second voice. “You are being reborn… arise and serve us, Shadow Mage!”

“No! Never…!”

“Oh, but you
will.” the second voice rasped, “Many have spoken as you… all have failed. Now serve freely, or as a mindless minion. It matters not to us.”

The Dreamer awoke.

Kuan sat bolt upright in bed gasping, desperately trying to grasp his bearings.

“More bad dreams? You were thrashing… I tried to wake you, but you wouldn’t.” Ainyra’s voice held more concern than before, “But your fever’s broken at least.”

The young elf nodded, not willing to trust his voice. Reaching to his side, he hefted his waterskin and took a long draught. “I think… I think I should take a walk.” he mumbled weakly.

“You’re in no condition to walk! Kuan! No!”

“I’m not in any state to sleep, Ain…”

“Fine, but I’m coming too. Men!” she scolded, “You get worse as you get older! There was once a time when you’d listen to me- Kuan! Wait! Come back here! I’m not finished with you yet!”

The little sprite flew out after him; the elf having dressed himself in the short time his familiar was ranting at him. Descending the stairs, a distracted and rather pale Kuan nodded his thanks to the innkeeper, mentioning he would be back (hopefully) before nightfall and set off to wander around the town.

His eye was continually drawn to Oley’s magic shop and without realising it, he had headed there…

[ 03-20-2007, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #106
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Oley's house was a smallish ramshackle hut, occasional bursts of colorful smoke or strange noises issued forth from the chimney, windows, walls, from under the walls, and well, pretty much the whole building was a psychedelic smoke factory with an occasional rumble, or the sound of an explosion.

Near the front door sit a pair of tall ladderback birch chairs, as though they anticipate a pair of guests, there is even a slight air of impatience from the chairs. The door to the shack is closed, for the moment, but the whole has a brooding air of impending... well something.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #107
Kazilan
Elminster

Pandaros

"Don't worry, I'm always careful."

The scout headed into the woods, moving cautiously. He kept his senses attuned to the forest around him while he followed the giant tracks, trying to ensure that no surprises waited nearby. If the tracks continue far beyond the woodcutter's house, Pandaros will hurry back to the dwarf and lead Xaver into the forest a ways before continuing his exploration, so that they are always within shouting distance of one another.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #108
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

GM to Pandaros and Xaver

The footprints lead you through a dense part of the forest that has been recently devestated by the passing of something large. The wildlife in the area sing merrily and you have no sense of anything dangerous in the immediate vicinity. Besides, this trail is days old and whatever did it could be far away.

However, you also know that the farmers have reported being plagued by some creature now for a number days, perhaps a couple weeks. That this thing has moved on and left the area is not the best guess. You journey on.

Going a distance, doubling back and having Xaver move ahead with you takes time, but after a while you come to a change in terrain where the trees climb a steep slope and continue onward from there. It seems like a good place to double back from and go get Xaver, but just as you turn around to return to your traveling companion, you suddenly realize that the birds have stopped singing.

In fact, its become deathly quiet.

[ 03-19-2007, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #109
Kazilan
Elminster

Pandaros

The scout freezes in place, an arrow practically leaping to his bow.

"Nothing to worry about," he mutters as his eyes sweep the landscape. "Just keep cool, a deathly quiet isn't necessarily a bad thing."

His self-reassurances failing to raise his spirits, Pandaros begins to creep back towards where he left the dwarf. His eyes monitor the area, his head on a swivel, pulse pounding in his ears.

"It could just be a local predator, like a giant cat or a wolverine." Pandaros quickens his pace as thoughts of numerous predators flood his mind. He can't help but remember an old saying from his drill instructor: "When a scout dies in the forest, there's no one to hear him scream. So when trouble arrives, get out of the damn forest!" His legs pumps faster, an easy jog that can break into a run at the first sign of serious trouble.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #110
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Vincent Pathfinder

Sitting in his shared room with the meditating bladesinger, Vincent decided to follow suit. Clearing his mind and letting loose the worries of the past few week's he thought back to his parents grove. The many animals and creatures that would come and go seeking this or that brought a smile to his. The horse rides he and his father would go on, or hunting with him. The hunting trips, stalking there prey, trapping it and letting it loose, or depending on the day, killing it and eating that night for dinner. Then he went past those thoughts and just let his mind empty and go into the void. He rested for a bit then came to as he heard Yevaud move about. With a relaxed stretch he gathered his things and headed down stairs to see if anyone else was about.

[ 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Elif Godson is offline   Reply With Quote