Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-20-2001, 01:31 AM   #1
Bain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Monks kick so much ass, its hard to see why anyone would hate them. When you think about their restrictions, you relize none are bad at all. 1) No armor, not bad cuz a monk with 18 dex will start at leval 0 with 5 ac, going down one ac with every 2 levals, plus things likes rings of protection and ring of gaxx ect make it even better and they can use ion stones even if they cant use a helm and most ion stones are even cooler than helms. Not to mention deflect missles lower ac vrs missles an extra 1 per 3 levals. Right now my monk has the same ar as minsc wearing at -6. 2) Only using thief one handed weapons is fine also since his best weapon is is his fist. at leval 15 it gets up to 1d20 dmg per hit, thats more than any other weapon in the game, 2 handed swords being 1d12 and its considered a plus 3 weapon and you attack insanly fast. When you get the guantlets of crushing that makes your fist a +7 weapon to hit and dmg. as for under 18/01 str you can always give them a girdle of somthing to bump that stat up. Then look at the advanteges, immune to poison hold person and disease, magic resistance at higer levals, and they walk like they alredy have boots of speed on. Quivering palm is one of the coolest things also. I killed both the early chapter dragons on the first hit using that skill, the red dragon i had to reload my quiucksave after i got spanked and it worked the next time. Magic resistance is huge with 21 levals you get up to 63% resistance plus other items you can get in game will take it even higher. They get +'s on thier saves and their thaco is still almost as good as a fighters, lowering one every leval you just cant specalize.
Lets not forget the ability to heal themselves with lay on hands also at 2 hit points per leval
Old 08-20-2001, 01:36 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

i cannot believe anyone would love that

it is like the barbarian from cDiablo 2. kills at an insanely rate, and the state of mindless can be considered Idiocy of the Year.

just little opposite opinion
Old 08-20-2001, 02:02 AM   #3
trux

It's a class for power-gamers. I've played one once and it was cool, but too much power makes things uninteresting.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-20-2001, 02:07 AM   #4
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bain:
Monks kick so much ass, its hard to see why anyone would hate them. When you
As always, each characters have their good and bad qualities. Monks are good if you know how to play them, just like every other more rare habilities out there.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:28 PM   #5
Kitty
Manshoon

Just a question,
How many dice does a monk roll for hit points? I started a new game with a monk, but he got only 43 hp (or something close to this). For me, a monk is a fighter class...but he doesn't roll d10 for sure...
Old 08-20-2001, 07:38 PM   #6
Kitty
Manshoon

Sorry...when I said a monk is a fighter class, I actually wanted to say that his main purpose is fighting, and he should have better hps, im my opinion.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:42 PM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Well IMHO a monk is a way overpowered class. Definitely for powergamers although they have evened them out slightly in TOB.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 08-20-2001, 10:16 PM   #8
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

I am inclined to agree with AzureWolf in that monks are overpowered. I managed to kill two dragons with my monk using his quivering palm attack, but this does not mean that it wasn't fun.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:39 AM   #9
Crusader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I play a monk and found that we can use Keldorn's Armor. but you got to have these stats, 15 STR ,12 INT, 17 CON, 18 CHA. Not realy the best armor around but it's the only armor Monks can use (Keldorn is found in the sewers at the Temple District)
btw Kensai also kicks ass

------------------
Logan
Old 08-21-2001, 12:54 AM   #10
LSRVIKING
The Magister

I rather use swords and armor. Taking out monsters like a dragon with a punch is too unrealistic. And yes I know its a Fantasy game but still. Being some guy that looks like the Tai Chi master and does martial arts takes away the forgotten realms atmosphere too.