Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2001, 06:51 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

or anyone who knows a vet? I need to consult some information. mainly just, what does a vet do? does a vet open his own business? or a vet is soemone who works for an association?

Old 09-02-2001, 09:18 PM   #2
Conan

250, a VET is someone who has served in the Armed forces. Veteran. That is all the requirements that is needed
Conan

Old 09-02-2001, 09:24 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Um, Conan, I think he means "vet" as in "veterinarian"; an animal doctor.

There is the AVMA, the American Veterinary Medical Association. They may have a webpage...yes, they do:

http://www.avma.org/

Vets generally open their own businesses, or go in partnership with others. They're very much like M.D. doctors. I think the degree they get is D.V.M., or Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. I would imagine they would incorporate as well into veterinary clinics.

Cheers,

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 09-02-2001).]
Old 09-02-2001, 09:27 PM   #4
Conan

HMMM ..I knew that

Old 09-02-2001, 09:29 PM   #5
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

hello zhertarim guard! keep power postin and someday you'll be JUST like me (in post anyway)

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-02-2001, 11:33 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Um, Conan, I think he means "vet" as in "veterinarian"; an animal doctor.

There is the AVMA, the American Veterinary Medical Association. They may have a webpage...yes, they do:

http://www.avma.org/

Vets generally open their own businesses, or go in partnership with others. They're very much like M.D. doctors. I think the degree they get is D.V.M., or Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. I would imagine they would incorporate as well into veterinary clinics.

Cheers,

ok, thanks a lot. so, without a proper degree, you cannot be vet? that kinda stinks, I thought just caring itself can make a better vet than one who doing it as career

anyway, my thx again

Old 09-03-2001, 05:59 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
ok, thanks a lot. so, without a proper degree, you cannot be vet? that kinda stinks, I thought just caring itself can make a better vet than one who doing it as career

anyway, my thx again

In Britain, to become a vet you would have to take your GCSE exams (age 16) then study science at college for 2 years and sit your A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Physics at age 18. Then you would apply for Veterinary College and study for 7 years, taking exams several times a year. You need to know as much as a human physician to operate on and treat sick animals.

But don't be disheartened -

If you are really into this but can't face the hard slog and high grades necessary, there are plenty of other good jobs with animals. I have met several people who have jobs they love - as veterinary nurses. You don't need to have a degree, you assist the vets with all the day to day animal care and treatment, and you learn while you're doing the job. You can also then take classes at a later stage if you want to become better qualified. I would recommend you look into this, or other jobs with animals (boarding kennels, animal rescue centres etc) if you feel you can't face the years of study to be a vet.

Also, if you want some experience, go to a local animal rescue place and volunteer to do a couple of hours a week helping to take care of the creatures they have rescued - they will be really grateful for the help, and you will learn a lot about handling and caring for animals which will help you when you come to apply for jobs.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 09-03-2001).]
Old 09-03-2001, 06:58 AM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
In Britain, to become a vet you would have to take your GCSE exams (age 16) then study science at college for 2 years and sit your A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Physics at age 18. Then you would apply for Veterinary College and study for 7 years, taking exams several times a year. You need to know as much as a human physician to operate on and treat sick animals.

But don't be disheartened -

If you are really into this but can't face the hard slog and high grades necessary, there are plenty of other good jobs with animals. I have met several people who have jobs they love - as veterinary nurses. You don't need to have a degree, you assist the vets with all the day to day animal care and treatment, and you learn while you're doing the job. You can also then take classes at a later stage if you want to become better qualified. I would recommend you look into this, or other jobs with animals (boarding kennels, animal rescue centres etc) if you feel you can't face the years of study to be a vet.

Also, if you want some experience, go to a local animal rescue place and volunteer to do a couple of hours a week helping to take care of the creatures they have rescued - they will be really grateful for the help, and you will learn a lot about handling and caring for animals which will help you when you come to apply for jobs.

OMG, thanks SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!