Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

APOLOGIES
To Donut and Davros: for name-calling on the closed thread. In the end, I think the original MagiK post was aimed at confronting those who denegrate America and its leadership. "Hey they do bad things too" is an illogical but oft-used means of rebutting criticism, and I supported the post for that reason, and the reason that the original author MagiK quoted DID link sites bashing the US. As well, I support some of the informative stuff provided in the article, even though with a bias bent. However, I let it get personal, and I am sorry. I do think we all need thicker skins, but isn't that true of humanity generally? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Nevertheless, I'd buy you guys beers if you didn't live so far away. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

To Memnoch: for making him baby-sit grown adults once again. Cheers to you too, mate.

CONDOLENCES
To the French. They have had one rough year. Droughts killing 15,000 or more, then floods. 18% unemployment is never fun and always rough. And, today, Egyptian Flash Airlines Boeing 737 crashed killing more than 140, most of whom were French tourists returning from what must've been wonderful vacations. My greatest sympathies to the French, and my warmest wishes for a better year in 2004, despite the rocky start.

[ 01-03-2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 01-04-2004, 12:42 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks mate, cheers to you too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Cheers TL - no problems at my end. I wasn't offended - well - not at least until you offered to buy me a beer [img]smile.gif[/img] . I just don't drink the stuff all that much out of choice. Mind you, I have managed to force them down in the past in the spirit of friendship as Donut, Lanesra, Mouse and Sir Tainly all know , but I quickly switch to drinking something else like Cider or "Bundy and coke".

Likewise I will also offer apologies to anyone that felt offended by anything I said on that thread. Checking back, the name calling on my part looks to have been directly addressed to the author of the actual NRO article, but I have to admit that opposing country bashing is something that I am inclined to get a trifle passionate about.

Hey Memsie - did you get out to the cricket over the last couple of days?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

TL - not to take anything away from your good intentions, but a fact is a fact: the current unemployment rate in France is about 10%.
High unemployment does without doubt constitute a major problem in many European countries, though.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
MagiK

Ramon is correct..or as correct as you can get. Trying to get current figures is near impossible,

Here are some sources. 1st source here

2nd source here

3rd source here

Some of this stuff is pretty gloomy in their forcast for 2004 for the people of france. Well hopefully things will turn around for them.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry my figure was not accurate -- I forget where I pulled it from. 10% is still bad, so condolences still go out to France. I don't live there so I don't know what the view is there -- but it seems they've had a rough time of it lately.

I do note, however, we landed a HUGE French company client recently, and they seem willing to toss a bit of money around to solve an enviro problem they have. Of course, we've also had to spend a deal of time explaining US law to them.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Unemployment rates vary subject to the definition of unemployment in any specific country. The Blair government have made 28 seperate changes as to how unemployment is calculated.

Still better than the Thatcher years though. (Although a few people did get very rich at the time)
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Unemployment rates vary subject to the definition of unemployment in any specific country. The Blair government have made 28 seperate changes as to how unemployment is calculated.

Still better than the Thatcher years though. (Although a few people did get very rich at the time)
My personal favorite was when Thatcher changed the definition of money to show she'd reached her inflation targets.

Completely off topic and irrelevant, but nevertheless always makes me laugh.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
MagiK

TL The figure I tossed out at 18% had been a valid number at one time but was a very short period apparently...which is good news, 10% vs 18% is definatley the lesser of two evils.

Politicians will always try and change the metrics by which they measure just to make themselves look good....Bush, Blaire, Clinto, Thatcher or any others...the best we can hope for is to know that the numbers are biased and it is only when you happen to catch both sides using the same number that it can be hoped to be accurate.

[ 01-12-2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 01-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #10
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Magik, I am somewhat of a statistics buff and am therefore very certain that the unemployment rate in France was never as high as 18%, at least not over the past twoplus decades and on the national level. (The figure might have been accurate for certain regions or for youth unemployment on the national level). The highest rates I can remember, from the mid to late nineties, were between 12-13%. Actually, the only West European country with unemployment rates as high as 18% (and higher, well into the twenties at times) over that period I can remember is Spain (not quite sure about Greece without doublechecking, though). Fortunately, Spain has been extraordinarily properous over the recent years and it has been able to close the gap, so that its unemployment rate, while still among the highest, doesn't really stand out that much anymore.

I know, much more information than anyone here cared to know, but, hey, you guys got me started. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote