Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #1
Thruar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Got my hands on 2 Copies of Neverwinter Nights last night at the store I used to work at Software etc. now called Gamestop. I've not seen most of the employees in months but was happy to be in their company. First thing I noticed was new layout of the store which have more room and shelf space than ever before. I think it's because of the PC old game box to the new smaller box transition. I would say about 70% of the PC games are shipped in a small box. I am glad that the manufacturers and the game companies decided to ship them in smaller boxes saving on cost and efficiency. It seem to do well for the PC gaming market because the box size are identical to that of a Playstation2 box. A customer would sometimes wander into the PC section unknowlingly browsing at some of the cool games and say wow this game is for the PC.

When I got home I was extremely excited about NWN. It's a game that has been in the making for 3 years and from Bioware Corp which created some of the all time best AD&D rule set games such as Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1 & 2. In my mind they helped shaped the Gaming industry even further. As I opened the box I noticed 3 cds, a cloth map and a huge spiral binded manual. Browsing through the manual which has very detailed information everything from creating a character to the spell lists.

Finally got the game installed. Noticed how nice and detailed the graphics work were. I know a lot has been put into this game. After playing for 5 hours I would have to say I'm very impressed at the whole story that was presented. The in game tutorial was very helpful. I noticed the game combined a combination of a few games which I've played before, Dungeon Seige/Darkstone for it's camera control. Good storyline of that dialogue of Planescape: Torment/Baldur's Gate. And the point and click system of Diablo/Diablo2, but not to mention you got the pause option with the spacebar just like the other Bioware games Baldur's gate/Icewind Dale etc. I went through playing the game reading everything from the descriptions of the NPCs to the items I've found. I'm not familiar with the AD&D 3rd edtition rule set but as far as I know what was added were feats or skill set geared towards your specific class. Other than that everything feels very much Forgotten Realms with famous characters that are talked about in the game such as Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson and Dritzz and Wulfgar.

Although I found the price to be out of the ordinary at 54.99 +8.25% Sales Tax in New York. I still think it's worth every penny. Tell us your first impressions!
Thruar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

heya!

i agree, completely. i'm loving this game a lot. i went thru the tutorial, even tho i prolly didn't need to. it's very clean, and open, like dungeon seige. so the screen isn't burdened w/ gumps. i fell in love with the noloads of DS however, and hope that it gets implemented in more games. it woulda put NWN over the top, i think.

mp seems to be a blast too. altho i'm waiting for my friend so we can try it together.

i got the CE, so i paid more. it was 64.99 plus ny tax plus delivery charge. lazy me, of course.

V***V
Old 06-19-2002, 08:41 PM   #3
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

So far so good anfter i went and had to buy a new vid card. What CE? They said at the EB that there was not a CE for NWN?
Old 06-19-2002, 08:58 PM   #4
MagiK

Hmm I checked two stores no sign of any CE, the only special editions I have heard of were being auctioned off on Ebay by Bioware to raise money for charity. Games great, but the text is tiny in 1600x1200 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Game on dudes and dudettes [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-19-2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:09 PM   #5
vesselle
Hathor

maybe mine is just more of a special edition, then. i pre-ordered last year and when i got mine, i had 4 module download cards, a cloth map, a huuuge paper map, a special booklet on teh making of nwn and then the manual and the game.

so, am i mistaken? is that the normal thingie? i'm gonna be bummed if i paid $10 more for the standard thing.

V***V

EDIT
oh yeah, a music of nwn cd too.

[ 06-19-2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 06-19-2002, 11:49 PM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

all i have to say is WOW @_@
Old 06-20-2002, 02:30 AM   #7
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
maybe mine is just more of a special edition, then. i pre-ordered last year and when i got mine, i had 4 module download cards, a cloth map, a huuuge paper map, a special booklet on teh making of nwn and then the manual and the game.

so, am i mistaken? is that the normal thingie? i'm gonna be bummed if i paid $10 more for the standard thing.

V***V

EDIT
oh yeah, a music of nwn cd too.
Nope that is more than I got now I am bummed sounds great for ten bucks more
Old 06-20-2002, 02:57 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

All I gotta say is: Clean. SO damn clean and polished NWN is!

You can TELL that they really took their time on NWN. Man, this game is already a classic

I TOTALLY love the right-click circular nav. Simply BRILLIANT!

I bought the Builder and Game Books as well--good stuff!!

I just hope NWN will allow Model/Textures/Skins soon, because THAT is what will REALLY make NWN shine for years to come--look at Unlimited Adventures, it's STILL popular with lots of folks.

I am gonna go play more now. gotta go recover the Waterdavian Monsters..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 08:06 AM   #9
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

This is great I love the chase mode adds a lot to the game more so then top down to me anyway. Love the interface it is great to be able to switch from bow to dual wield at the touch ofa key and even stil see what is happenign always. I thought the prelude with the tutors was a great it realy helps understanding the operations of the game. I found the manual sometimes did not explain things cleary to me anyway. I do wish we could alter the clothes more like you can with the tool set. Also, perhasp soemoen can help me with a question. I was dualwielding then all of a sudden no weapons Ok that i figured out I was disarmed and just put them back into the slots. However latter it hapen again my off hand dissapeared in combat and is no where to be found. Are they by chance having it set up that your weapon may break like in BGI and just does nto leave the broken weapon symbol like in BGI?
For those that do nto have it the graphics are fantastic. It really to me almost looks like an computer animated movie.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:04 AM   #10
MagiK

Well the game is clean and smooth running once I got a few little cursor problems taken care of. The tutorial was marvelours and easily skipped once you understood the concepts.

I hope skins are going to be made alterable, Id like my characters to have some clothes under their armour thank you [img]smile.gif[/img] Other than the fact that you cant really "dress" your character I have no problems or complaints to air....I have to go back a third time and tweak my character at creation time since Im just now learning 3rd edition rules.