Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

It unfortunately seems the israelis are feeding the cycle of violence....

Quote:
GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Abdel Aziz Rantisi, the leader of the militant group Hamas in Gaza, was killed on Saturday in Gaza City when his car exploded, hospital officials said.

Also killed were Rantisi's son Mohammed, 20, and a bodyguard, hospital officials said.

Rantisi was taken to a hospital, where he died.

Immediately after news of the killing swept through the territory, thousands of Hamas activists, in shock and panic, spilled into the streets.

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat condemned the killing saying: "We hold the Israeli government fully responsible for the consequences of such actions.

"At the end of the day violence will breed more violence, hatred will breed more hatred."

Rantisi was appointed to head Hamas in Gaza after Hamas founder and spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was killed last month in an Israeli missile strike in Gaza City.

It was not clear if Rantisi's car -- which was engulfed in flames -- was attacked by aircraft or had been booby-trapped. A huge explosion was heard in Gaza City and half of the city lost electricity.

TV footage showed hospital doctors frantically working on Rantisi.

The Israeli army is not commenting on the development.

Saeb Erakat, the Palestinian Authority's chief negotiator, issued a statement: "We condemn this Israeli crime and state terrorism and we hold the Israeli government fully responsible for the consequences of the assassination of Rantisi."

Suicide attack
The move comes hours after a Palestinian suicide bomber launched an attack in the Erez industrial zone Saturday, killing a border police officer and wounding three others.

Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and Hamas claimed responsibility for that attack.

An Al Aqsa spokesman identified the bomber as Fadi al-Amudi of Beit Lahiya, located in northern Gaza near Erez. An Israeli army official said the bomber had worked in the zone for the last two years. He died at the scene.

A second attacker, from Hamas, tried but failed to enter the industrial zone, an Al Aqsa source said. The military said it knew nothing about a second bomber.

Both groups have conducted previous terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians.

There is heavy security around the busy industrial area, where the bomber detonated explosives at an entrance where the workers are checked before they can go to their jobs.

At least 2,900 entered Erez Saturday. The zone was closed as a result of the bombing, and it is not known when it will reopen. Many Palestinians have jobs there.

The attack came three days after President Bush met with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in Washington.

Bush endorsed Sharon's plan to withdraw all Jewish settlements and troops from Gaza and all but six blocs of Jewish settlements from the West Bank.

Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat on Thursday rejected the plan

It was closed for several days in January after a female suicide-bomber killed four Israelis at a checkpoint leading to the Erez industrial zone. Ten people were wounded in the blast.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
This was bound to happen the minute he took over, and made his speech about how the Israeli's opened the gates of hell, and how they would suffer. I guess he got what he asked for. He can now claim his 70 virgins in paradise. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 04-17-2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 04-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
This was bound to happen the minute he took over, and made his speech about how the Israeli's opened the gates of hell, and how they would suffer. I guess he got what he asked for. He can now claim his 70 virgins in paradise. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
And the Israeli citizens who will now die in revenge attacks, will they also get 72 virgins? Will you be posting big smileys for their deaths too?

Surely you can't be blind to the fact that Rantisi's murder will have bad consequences for the Israeli population?
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
They were gonna attack and kill Israeli citizens regardless of rantisi's death, or do you believe otherwise ? Did you forget the statements he made when he first adressed the Hamas followers in that stadium he held his speech in ? He got what was coming to him. He preached violence, and he got it.

So yeah, hearing news that someone like that blew up in his car, deserves a big
Old 04-17-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
It unfortunately seems the israelis are feeding the cycle of violence....
And getting good at it too..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:10 AM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
They were gonna attack and kill Israeli citizens regardless of rantisi's death, or do you believe otherwise ? Did you forget the statements he made when he first adressed the Hamas followers in that stadium he held his speech in ? He got what was coming to him. He preached violence, and he got it.

So yeah, hearing news that someone like that blew up in his car, deserves a big
I KNOW otherwise. Groups like Hamas survive only with the support of the populace. Acts like this garner them support - at the expense of moderates like Queri.

Do you really think that if Hamas didn't exist, there wouldn't be any suicide bombings??? There would be suicide bombings regardless -BECAUSE of these sorts of acts of murder.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Whatever Skunk, the sucker is dead, and i'm glad he is. He chose to live a life of violence and hatred, and this is the result.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:33 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

I see they have found a new leader already! I doubt that killing each successive leader will have an impact on stopping Hamas. It will make support for them stronger. If Israel wants to become completely safe and continue this strategy, they will need to kill everyone that opposes them. Unfortunately, I have no solution and I don't think Sharon does either. A wall might have worked if it fairly separated both sides. Pulling back settlements and not building new ones could work if the settlers would agree to it. They do not.

As I've stated before in another thread, it seems that genocide of either side is the only solution.

A solution which is unacceptable.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Is it too late to say it's too late?

The snowball (or in this case the desert sandstorm) is just too big now. The region, in it's current anthropological form, is doomed.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Why sharon does not have solution?
he wishes to withdraw from gaza. why is it wrong?

killing hamas leaders will work. all the "smart ones" will be killed sooner or later, and they will understand-"hey, if i am the leader, then i will be killed". the policy of killing the head terrorists will work in the long run.

Rantisi got what he deserved. Like Yasin.

He urged terrorists to fight against us. He declared war on us. His problems. In war people get killed.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote