Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Exclamation We're BACK -- With borrowed Motherboard and CPU! Need Donations BAD for server!

Will give you the entire scoop after I get some sleep (been at this 19 hours getting parts, building the temp server and having to reinstall Win server 2003 (new hardware makes ya pretty much)... anyway, the Motherboard and CPU for our server was shorting somehow, and died. zero power to either. Spent the last 4 days swapping out stuff trying to figure it out. And my back was killing me in the process Fun! heh..

Anyways, a friend let me borrow an old Motherboard and CPU---WARNING, IW will be slower till we get a new MB and CPU. (And we're on 512mb ram instead of 2gig)---this borrowed MB is using 'rambus' ram which sucks bad, but hey, we're up! Thanks to my bro for helping me out!

We need around $400 I *THINK*... will check.. may be lower. We have $70 as of yesterday though-- thanks guys! You saw my updates on IW Gaming website

Will give you more info after I get some sleep. I am D.E.A.D. tired. heheh

Thanks!!

PS: If images sometimes don't load, or give X's.. ignore it for now.. gotta install some new drivers I think or maybe its just because of the slower server. dunno. Once we get the $, I'll order the replacement, and we'll be good in a few days afterwards. (whew).. man.. insane folks! I have BLISTERS from all this! hahahah..

Good night..er.. day I should say!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Default Re: We're BACK -- With borrowed Motherboard and CPU! Need Donations BAD for server!

Do you think it was the case? I've heard of motherboards shorting to their mounting brackets before. If so, then anything you put in that case may be doomed from the start...

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: We're BACK -- With borrowed Motherboard and CPU! Need Donations BAD for server!

Yeah, the plastic fan mount cracked, and the temps were rebooting it--this is the SECOND fan mount clip I replaced btw.. I think the short was in a circuit, because I looked the entire case over, and it was fine. (Very careful about that). Also, parts of the Motherboard stopped working--the network card built on the Motherboard died--nothing I did got it working again, then the RAM started writing errors to the Harddrive--I think the ram is ok.

It seemed to be the ram at the time, because when I pulled 2, the error stopped--for 2 days. But I also pressed on the chips and caps on the motherboard and stuff... so could have been an intermittent short or just dying.. could the mb dying cause the CPU to die?

I caught the bracket thing before it died though.. it'll automatically turn the pc off if it hits 65C. so what I originally thought was wrong WAS. Didn't wanna think that though.. but it seemed the ram could have been the issue, but nope.

just hair pulling.. lol. Will take some pics tomorrow of all the parts/cards I was swapping! lol!!

K, gonna go into coma. Wanted to wait and watch the server for a sec...

Old 08-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Smiley Re: We're BACK -- With borrowed Motherboard and CPU! Need Donations BAD for server!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilander View Post
Do you think it was the case? I've heard of motherboards shorting to their mounting brackets before. If so, then anything you put in that case may be doomed from the start...

Yeah, the motherboard mounting brackets are non conductive. oh yeah, I've known a few friends that killed a motherboard that way. or not ground themselves while working on a PC, and a static shock does some lovely damage

On a lighter note, this server has pretty dang reliable up to now! haven't had a 4 day downtime in years! (I think? maybe during the 4 hurricanes in 2004)

Old 08-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

As far as the processor goes...if it's a Land Grid Array processor (Socket 775 Intel), then I strongly doubt the motherboard could kill it.

The processor in this image actually lived to tell the tale...thanks to being a land grid array chip...

Details here.

An AMD chip, though, still relying on pins to connect, MAY have died. It's unlikely, but more likely than an Intel one.

Last edited by Ilander; 08-16-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Any idea what you'll be replacing it with? On newegg, you can get a quad core AMD processor with a 65 Watt rating for $80 these days, and a motherboard for about the same...and, 2 GB of DDR2 is dirt cheap online. I don't know what kind of power the system needs to have, but that seems like enough for a server.

What was the old one? I thought I remembered it being a Pentium 4, which means you got a ton of mileage out of it.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey Ziroc, good luck and get some rest!!!

I wish I could send some quick cash, but the health insurance company tripled our rates to an astonishing amount and hit us with a giant bill for 2 months back as well. That's what peeple mean when they say having a baby is expensive.

Anyway, we'll be caught up next month, I hope that won't be too late to help.

Take care,
Scott
Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Good job resurrecting it! Sent a little, sorry it couldn't be more.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Woot we're back! I'll donate ASAP mate. We CANNOT die!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Hopefully everybody will realise soon. I stopped checking after the first couple of days. Just thought I'd try again tonight, and it worked! Now I am happy. Oh, glad it's back .
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote