Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 09-14-2004, 07:39 AM   #11
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
It sure as hell is the wisest thing to do in a situation like that.
You're going to have to go through the logic of that one more time for me, because it seems to me that when your country is being attacked the best thing for the head of state to be doing would be pretty much anything other than reading childrens stories for a photo op...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #12
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
You're going to have to go through the logic of that one more time for me, because it seems to me that when your country is being attacked the best thing for the head of state to be doing would be pretty much anything other than reading childrens stories for a photo op...
Agreed. The country was under surprise-attack. Minutes count in that sort of situation.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #13
Link
Jack Burton

Okay. Let me phrase it differently then: what should Bush have done? I trust he had people in charge of everything while he was on this particular visit to the school, so probably there were people getting things done already.

As a rolemodel I would much rather see a president act calmly, then rush off doing things that were being done anyway.

[ 09-14-2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #14
Vampire

My own biased view of the film:

Moore shocks us by telling us the governments are actually quite clever, and love crude oil! They even love the Saudis because they have crude oil! WOW and they have secuity guards outside the Saudi Embassy because they love them!

AMAZING!

Because who would have thought it?

Then he wants every senator to get their sons to goto War, because the Senators agree to goto war. What happens if they don't have a son? Stupid ******
What happens if the senator wanted two things and only had one son? hahhahahahaha

Moore reckons he is so wise in the film, getting pictures of women crying and wounded children and then having Bush with a cowboy music on.

He doesn't realise what a fool he is making out to be (a fat fool) to a great deal of the world.

Bombing children is horrible but the film I have to say is worse
Old 09-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #15
Grojlach
Zartan

Good thing we've still got Avatar to protect us from being exposed to weak arguments, cheap one-liners and lame personal attacks.

No, wait...
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #16
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

good point Avatar, and one Moore fails to make, he also ignores senators with children in Afganistan, those with other close family in Iraq (one sentor has a nephew there)

and groj, it's too bad he can't protect us against your bitter inability to debate a subject without throwing out cheap one liners, and lame personal attacks.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #17
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:

and groj, it's too bad he can't protect us against your bitter inability to debate a subject without throwing out cheap one liners, and lame personal attacks.
Love you too, Morgie. And I just *love* that handbag you hit me with!

But I guess you saw a different post altogether than I did, then. You know, the one without the remark how this movie is worse than bombing children, the one without his brilliant counterargument that Moore is a Fat Fool, the one without the remark that A Great Part Of The World apparently agrees with Avatar on this (says who?), the one without the *very* weak point about the senators, which completely missed the point of Moore's stunt altogether. It's about making them realise exactly *what* they're doing, by bringing the issue closer to them - finding out if they would have held the same opinion if one of their own kids would have ended up in Fallujah as a result of their votes. The question of whether they actually *have* kids in the first place is beside the point; even in a hypothetical manner it could still have some effect.
Of course, whether the senators actually *need* someone like Moore to remind them of this cause/effect issue is a wholly different matter altogether (we all assume they've got a conscience of their own, right?), but we weren't discussing that.

[ 09-14-2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

lol, I am a bit sorry about that, pot calling kettle, you know how it goes. I guess it came off more hostile than I meant it to.

I think it would have been more telling if he had examined how the senators with children in Iraq had voted on the war that would send their children into harms way.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #19
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Link:
It sure as hell is the wisest thing to do in a situation like that.
You're going to have to go through the logic of that one more time for me, because it seems to me that when your country is being attacked the best thing for the head of state to be doing would be pretty much anything other than reading childrens stories for a photo op... </font>[/QUOTE]<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">My Dad is like that. My parents have a summer home on a small island and once a neighbor had a fire and needed help to put it out. My Dad said, "I will be there in a minute as soon as I finish combing my hair". Just one of those people that has to finish what he is doing no matter how urgent something else is. </font>

[ 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #20
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

well, at least one thing Bush should have done, that noone else could do, was to give authorization to shoot down any other hijacked planes that were possibly still in the air.
not that it would have mattered in the end... but still, he should have acted sooner.
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote