Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks very much for the tip. I found my way through the gate and got the crystals. I arbitrarily chose the warrior's path. I am now down in the water area and at a bit of a loss how to escape. My real question, however, is about character development. My warriors are all now level 4 (barb 4/war 1) and have the fury trait. Is it time for them to reclass to something else? If so, are there any recommendations? Thanks again for the tips.
leptomeninges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
Law
Dungeon Master

You are welcome. That's what we are here for.

If you are still stuck in the "water area" of the crypt them make sure you have flipped the level on the wall in the room where you meet Scabban. That will open the grate in the water on the level below. You can see it through the hole on the floor in Scabban's room. You can just jump down through the hole if you want.

About the barbarian changing class. It all depends on what you want them to be. They could stay barbarians for the rest of the game or they could go through all the 11 classes.

So the question is - What is their career goal?

You originally said that the 3 warriors wanted to become the Zenmaster, Assassin and Valkyrie.
The Assassin happens in the middle of the Ishad N'ha area. The other two do not happen until the last dungeon.

I usually end up switching classes above level 10 so level 4 seems a little low but if you have got what you wanted out of the class and want the skills of another class then switch. My goal out of a barbarian is usually to get lots of HPs so I wait until they get around 100 before I switch. I have played a barbarian all the way through the game and ended up with 500 HPs. Other times I am only after the lock picking still and switch off after level 2 so again -- there is no wrong way to play this game.

But be aware that several of the quests for the class switch can not be finished until you are in the Ishad N'ha area so I end up waiting until then for those.

[ 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Law ]
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow! Sorry for being out, folks... I am *SO* glad to be done travelling for a while!

Quote:
Originally posted by leptomeninges:
Thanks very much for the help. It's very useful. A few further questions:

1. When training at guilds, should I train my stats or skills (ie.: int or sorcery, strength or swords)?
I train in important things first, stats second, and other stuff third.

What's important? In my book, spells for a wizard or priest, sword for warriors, pick locks for thieves.

And stats? I save ankhs until I train the stats up to 20. But they're not critical like spells and the ability to hit are... [img]smile.gif[/img] I may train a stat if I need it to change to a new class, though.

And what's left? Well, there are important things (like forge, lore, blessing, and enchanting). There are useful things, like pickpocket. And there are useless things, like all the weapons you *won't* use, athletics, throwing, and so on.

2. Is my rogue just out of luck guild-wise then? I don't seem to see a guild for rogues in town.
Yep. No luck for the rogues until Ishad N'ha-ha-ha.

3. Should I buy and use the spellbooks? I seem to recall something about the proper way to max spell points, but I don't reall how it worked.
I don't, unless you desperately need the spell. When you learn a spell at level-up, you gain more maximum mana than when you learn it by book. I sell the books... except maybe a cure poison, if you don't already know it.

Finally, if you want to give me a nudge in the right direction I'd appreciate it. So far, all I've done is wander around the cemetary. I spoke with the snake man (told him Gareth was in town) and a dwarf or something that I couldn't say anything significant to. You don't have to kill yourself with a walkthrough, just a pointer in the right direction is appreciated.
Sounds like you've got good ideas already. Be sure to talk to all the characters (like that dwarf). Follow all the dialogue options, because they may reveal things (like how to get into the crypt, for example, or the semi-quest to deliver a rat pie to his brother).
Have fun! And remember, there are no bad answers... just choices.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Olli Kalma

Your playing great!
I started W&W long time ago, and now I have new game. Now I revelead new secret door, thet I never seen before!

But for a training in guilds..
When I have example Sword skill at 4 and Bow skill at 1. I train sword skill in guild, because I can raise bow lever easier into 2 than sword into level 5 when I gain level and increase skills..

And learn vine spell called Cure Poison before you enter the snake temple.

I use two mages. One focus on the sun spells, other in moon spells. That's how I gain both 7th level spells in early game. Then I switch another into bard and another into warlock.
Then samurai. That's how both of them gain all sun and moon spells.

I use 2 warriors too. I train one into barbarian, other into paladin. Then ranger and samurai/ninja.
My priest will get heal spells, then he/she focus at the vine spells. Same time my paladin trains healing spells.

And what skill do you might to want learn?
I train one of my warrior to use two weapons, and my rogue too. My rogue uses daggers and bow at combat, and joins into thieves guild and bushi dojo. I train him into assassin.

When you priest get's into level 2 at the priest guid, can he/she learn skill named ancest (something). Then he/she can train some artifact skill. That's quite good skill in the early game, because that how you can identify items by your self. (It cost quite much to identify all items at guids, and you don't want to miss wizard's blade for thinking it's just normal dagger..)

I think I heat up Sauna and start to play W&W again =) Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the replies. They're very helpful. I played my way up to the naga in the serpent temple this weekend. I'm actually in the process ofrerolling though. Somehow I felt that my group lacked "poetry." I'm trying to plan out my class changes and the like in a bit more detail this time.

I am curious about one comment. Is it really feasible to not use the spell books for spell acquisition? It seems that without using them one would be unable to get all the spells for each class. In my last game my priest and wizard were both nearing level ten (where I planned to reclass), and even using every available spell book there were still many blank spots in their books.

Another question. If I train someone as a bard and then reclass to something else, can they still use the music skill and musical instruments?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
leptomeninges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It is definitely feasible to skip the spell books. You can still learn spells at every level up, so you'll actually learn them *faster* if you switch.

How? Let's say your level 10 wizard needs 100,000 XP to advance to level 11. That would gain her one new spell.

Change class, and that same 100,000 XP will take her from level 1 in the new class to around level 8 or so... eight new spells. And probably more, since Radek will pop up and correct my math errors

As for the bard, once you have other skills, you can keep on using them. So you can keep on using your instruments, I believe... but it's been a while since I played a bard, so I don't know for sure. Why not do an experiment -- save your game, change class, and try to use an instrument. If it fails, you can reload your saved game.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
Law
Dungeon Master

A character that was a bard can still play an instrument. I have an Assassin that plays just fine.

Switching to another class to get more spells is fine as long as you have all the high level spells that you want. The exception is if the new class is also "native" to the spell group. You may want to change to the Warlock class later so that you can get any spells that you have missed from all the spell groups. The Zenmaster at the end of the game also has this advantage but that may be too late. Spells that are in the first 3 levels are easy to get but above that it is harder.

I also just sell the spell books but I don't worry about getting all the spells anymore since I know what spells I will need and what spells I will never use so I can ignore them.

Spells that I find I miss if I don't have them are:
Illuminate, Incinerate, Firestorm
Lightning, Lavawalk, Meteorstorm
Great Heal, Restore Health, Resurrect
Cure Poison, Cure
Create Portal, Teleport, Call of Home, Icestorm.

Potions and scrolls can be uses in place of some of these.

Funny I can not think of any Fiend spells that I need.

Most of the time there is one spell in each level that I get first and the others I would not miss except for the 6th and 7th level Moon spells (but I frequently go though Bard and Ninja). Let me know if you want this list. Later in the game it is really easy and fast to go through the first 8 levels in a new class to get spells. In fact sometimes it is hard to only go up one level at a time, which is necessary if you are training in the spell group's craft skill.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
Olli Kalma

Oh, how quite new thing to me..
But if you are bard and lern Music skill, then you can change class 'cause you learned music skill, you can inprove it anytime you gain class..

And for the spellbook question..
Don't worry. If you habe too much money, don't sell them end vica versa.

I teach rain-spells to my wizards first. then I enter into warlock or bard. I can train 2 levels / one level. If you are bard, you join in wizards guild. if you are warlock, you can train your skills in wizards guild and in priest guild..

I have early in geme three that controlls sun magic level 7. two with stone level 7. and moon and fiend level 7, before entering shuregon castle nor boogtre cave..

and my priest.. well I don't matter. let him learn all vine and spirit spells before entering into new clas..