Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
WSBoaBoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just wondering how many cheesy tactics are out there in this game. I know all games have them to some extent but was just wondering how wide spread they are in this game. So far I have come across a few myself such as...

- Bowing stuff from afar. This is quite a cheesy thing, should have made it so that monsters rush you, and for the ones that cannot get to you make them flee around corners indoors.

- Difficulty switching. Another mass cheese thing in the engine. You basically meet a bad arss foe, save and swap the difficulty down to easy, use tactic above or wack it then save just before its dead and bump the difficulty mode to hard and reload. Bam! mega more xp for little risk. Should have prevented this by saving the difficulty in the file and if there is a difference on load heal all wounded monsters.

- Instant stun avoidance. A simple cheese where as you are stunned or knocked down press anything that pauses the game. Then wait a second while your character stands back up while paused! Then close the window and continue. Also good for healing on stun or knock down when you are about to die.

What other ones are out there? Just wondering as it shows allot about the forethought behind the game mechanics.

Have fun gaming!
WSBoaBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Too Darkpark
The Magister

i've noticed that almost all monsters won't come near the entrances to towns and even archways such as the one in arindale and ulm/fathien keep.

i normally avoid using cheesy tactics but the pausing when i get immobilized i do use. for example, sometimes you meet that witch roaming the wilderness that casts gripping vines on you and she usually has about a half-dozen undead with her. if i hadn't paused the game than i would have been shredded by those undead.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Too Darkpark
The Magister

also, anywhere there is water could be used as a cheesy advantage. almost all monsters avoid going into the water.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Bob Billson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree. That water one is ridiculous --- heck, not just water. Ever got into a fight arounf a shrine? You can stand in the middle and they won't climb up one step to get to you. Really weird...
Bob Billson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
Dajjer
The Magister

About the Shrine (moongate?) tactic, it will usually fail after a time.

One time I was battling Spiders and of course none of them could fit through but if you watch their tactics, you notice they occasionally will jump. and jump one of them did right into the middle of the moongate. I was a weakling at the time and it got me.

Another time I was battling some wolves at a shrine that they refused to enter so I picked them off with my bow. There was about 20 wolves attacking me and a bear type creature. Everything was going fine until a boar type creature who spit locust attacked and of course killed me. So shrine aren't a total cheses wiz factor.

As far as water, the designers in the first patch put in some fish monsters so it is just a little bit harder to battle from water to land.

Once cheese tactic that has worked well for me is the tower tactic. Go to the outdoor tower an run up the stairs part way. The stairs are so narrow you only have to face one mosnster at a time.
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That boar-type creature was a chunneler, Dajjer. He's worth lots of XP, but that breath weapon is annoying. Fortunately, he doesn't use it all the time, or life would be really, really bad

I think I've seen the shrine tactic in play. All I can say is that steps are wonderful, wonderful things...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Too Darkpark
The Magister

speaking of chunnelers... that swarm of bugs that it spits or cast by any other mage can be rendered harmless by putting on that gas mask found in the naga temple.