Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-07-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Overnet, a p2p software program, considers my connection as 'Firewalled,' since it is. My elder brother told me that I'd have to do 'Port Forwarding' and allow access to Overnet.

My brother is away, so I thought I'd try to do it myself. I believe our firewall program is Nutcracker(or was it an internet connection hardware that was named Nutcracker..? Or was it something else entirely??), but I currently have seen no way to access it.

Anyway, how do I Port Forward without screwing up my connection to the net? I have this - http://www.edonkey2000.com/documentation/lowid.html - site to help me. Is there any specific Port Forwarding software or something?

Thank you.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

A hardware firewall uses port forwarding so that computers behind it can be contacted from the internet without having to sacrifice all your security with a DMZ.

*sigh*

Charming isn't it, the way that IE will post posts before you finish them?

Bah. As I was saying, a port forwarding is used by hardware firewalls. Software firewalls are installed on one PC and dont have port forwarding.

And I can't find any information on a 'nutcracker firewall' which makes this harder. Either you have a software firewall which should normaly ask you when you try to make a connection, but can normaly be found in the system tray in the bottom right of your screen.

Or you do actualy have a hardware firewall and you would normaly have to head to a site like http://192.168.0.254 to get the configuration screen. (Thats a site coming from your router/firewall itself, so it will most likely not work as the address will be wrong). To sort that out, you will have to find out what it is or find the manual for it. What kind of internet connection do you have and what hardware is plugged into it?

[ 02-07-2004, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 02-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Actually, forget about 'Nutcracker' - I think I misheard my brother. I have TRENDnet TW100-S4W1CA. I think I have LAN/TCPIP connection. What I'd like to know is how I could sort out the Overnet connection so it could download files properly.

I can get to that configuration screen! I found this http://forum.overnet.com/viewtopic.p...light=trendnet from the forums there. I thought if it'd maybe solve my problem if I followed the thread's last poster's instructions. I don't know much about connections, and I don't want it screwed up because of trespassers, but could you tell me if that'd do the trick, or if not, then what would?

Thank you.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

That should do it. Thing is you have to make sure your PC has a static IP. If your brother is telling you to use port forwarding it probably already does, but if not its simple enough to do. Anyway, get your PCs local IP with ipconfig (run from a dosprompt), winipcfg or through the tcp/ip properties page for your LAN.

You don't have to worry about security unless overnet has a security exploit of its own. What your doing is saying that traffic on this particular port should be sent to your PC, theres no security issue apart from overnet and theres no way you can run this program without that risk. Now, if you were doing this with a DMZ, you would effectively be opening *every* port on your PC to the internet and it would be as if you had no firewall at all.