Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-31-2004, 01:36 PM   #11
Stratos
Vampire

Fortunately, the Germans and the Russians get along better nowadays.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Krift:
Yea, he was also a politcal genious, and got all the germans to rally.
What he did was a simple trick of psychology...nothing genious about it. The University of Yale did a few experiments to prove how easily humans can be tricked to do something...and I have seen the actual footage of the experiments.

The scientists were able to provoke a man to keep hitting a fake shock button to supposedly electicute a man in another room, who could be heard faking his screams and later his own unconsciousness. The man doing the supposed harm had no idea that he was being put to the test, he thought the man in the other room was the test sunject. If I remember the exact results, 8 of 10 men continued to shock the victim even though they knew it was wrong. Only two stopped when the fake screams were too much to bare. To prove a point, the same college performed another test on female nurses...who resulted in the same degree of inhumanity. We are a weak race that tend to follow a strong leader if provoked enough, both men and women...by what these tests suggest.

There was no political genious about it.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:47 PM   #13
Son of Osiris

Is that all you guys are gonna talk about?

Old 01-31-2004, 03:14 PM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Whackmiester:
Is that all you guys are gonna talk about?
We figured that since you started out drunk,,,you'd not notice nor care
Old 01-31-2004, 04:01 PM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
What he did was a simple trick of psychology...nothing genious about it. The University of Yale did a few experiments to prove how easily humans can be tricked to do something...and I have seen the actual footage of the experiments.

The scientists were able to provoke a man to keep hitting a fake shock button to supposedly electicute a man in another room, who could be heard faking his screams and later his own unconsciousness. The man doing the supposed harm had no idea that he was being put to the test, he thought the man in the other room was the test sunject. If I remember the exact results, 8 of 10 men continued to shock the victim even though they knew it was wrong. Only two stopped when the fake screams were too much to bare. To prove a point, the same college performed another test on female nurses...who resulted in the same degree of inhumanity. We are a weak race that tend to follow a strong leader if provoked enough, both men and women...by what these tests suggest.

Yes, and I'm sure you've also seen how much easier it is to convince people to do something just by putting on a lab coat lol

It's kind of lucky that there was so little ethical constraint on psychological (and medical) studies a few decades ago or we'd never know any of this stuff!

Although I suppose Hitler's genius was knowing how to exploit them, and that it would work.

And I also agree with Ghoul! Both Stalin and Hitler's immense pride and desire not to lose face cause millions of deaths in just that campaign, let alone over the whole war and later. The symbolism of Stalingrad and Stalin's propensity for using the old 'I'll get lots more soldiers than them so we can just overrun them and hang it if half of them die' were big factors. I was actually reading an excellent account of Stalingrad over Christmas that I recommend to anyone - 'Stalingrad' by Antony Beevor - read it! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2004, 04:11 PM   #16
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

--Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

[ 01-31-2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: InjaYew ]
Old 01-31-2004, 04:14 PM   #17
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

PS~

Wasn't it Hitler's people who had the Reichstag burned?
Old 01-31-2004, 05:04 PM   #18
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Inja,nice post kinda makes you think!
Old 01-31-2004, 06:47 PM   #19
Son of Osiris

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Krift:
Yea, he was also a politcal genious, and got all the germans to rally.

[/QUOTE]Who needs Psychological Crap when you could persuade them Whackmiester Style? If you have a hidious ass, threaten to moon 'em!

Old 01-31-2004, 07:31 PM   #20
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by InjaYew:
"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

--Goering at the Nuremberg Trials
Again, history repeats itself. ::sighs::

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.