Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
spydar

mine was D&D and it was probably played with 3 of my brothers and one of their friends.
I remember the best one though (one we still talk about) was set in our own little world (with D&D rules) and I had a half elven ranger named Natasha Goldleaf. we got up to 20th level, had all this stuff and our own kingdom (of which my brother's paladin and mage were kind and queen). it was awesome. we got up to 20th by killing a crapload of dragons. yep, the Malkiriss campaign was by far the best.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #12
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Mine was last year. Man, I feel humbed by all the experienced players out there...I thoroughly enjoy our sessions though.

My first one was an all-nighter. One of the greatest times of my life...can be pretty funny and cool, as well as completely immersing...we didn't realise we played for, like, 5 hours or so until I looked at my watch (we all were newbies )

Looking forward to my games in the future!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #13
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

Hrmm, all nighter's? I belive i am sceudaled for one of those tommarow night . Yea my first was last year too. We tried to get a thing going called "dorkfest" but there was this annoying kid with a big nose (Don't get me wrong he is pretty cool). He was playing a spanish gnome cleric called Sebro. Well it got to the point that he wouldnt stop talking that we suddenly ran into Huge tigers, and he was in the middle,

Me and another player were both caotic evil, So we walked back about 50 yards and watched the little gnome get mauled, well he said that he would play dead and he accuctly survied!

This whole time the other caotic evil char was smokeing a cigerat( in the game) We sat and figured out how many rounds it would take to some a whole cig. as we watched him get maules,

Great stuff
Old 01-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #14
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I can't truly say I officially played it with dice and everything, because my uncle doesn't have everything with him. [img]tongue.gif[/img] My cousin and I played a few mess arounds and my uncle is currently making an aduventure for us all. Making the plot, drawing maps and some other stuff. Hopefully we'll get to play soon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #15
Nerull
Lord Ao

All of this talking is getting me in the mood to pull out my old books. I still have them all in the garage (including all of my 1st edition hardbounds, barely holding together from all the use that they saw). The only thing I'm missing are the 1st edition Basic and Expert sets (they fell apart long ago from usage, and had to get the 2nd edition versions... ) and my favorite Keep on the Borderlands (lent it to a friend years ago and he moved away without giving it back ). There was also a spy game that TSR put out, but I can't remember the name for the life of me...okay, that's it, the books are coming out this weekend!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghoul:
I started with 'Das schwarze Auge' ('The black eye', german, don't know if there's an english edition, too).
Never heard of that game; they might not have an english version. What kind of game is it(fantasy, scifi, etc.)?

Wow, a bunch of new players out there! Good to know that new blood is being added; not many people play around where I am (and it doesn't help that I work and go to school), so I've been mostly working on my spare time on a new campaign world.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 01-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #16
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Not many people (in fact, zero people) play around my area...it's just me and my 5 friends, or so...still enjoyable, but I'd like to play with a female character, as in real life...that would make things more interesting...ah well, no chance of that happening any time soon. Maybe when I go to College or something...
Old 01-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #17
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Ahh, good ol DnD...The first time I played a roleplaying game, that was it, though the group didn't have time to let me create my own character...just ended up with an enemy-fodder seventh level CE dwarf. Sad, too, becaues in that first night, I was thrown down a hallway and attacked by giant bats, charmed (yes, a dwarf, CHARMED, because they were palying a newer edition), and I broke a sword on a door, took a piece of metal to the leg, and the DM rolled shrapnel damage for the rest of the night without telling me, because I never took any. Vampire: The Masquerade was my second rpg, and my first DM, and I've DMed several things since. Anybody start with Paladium? I'm wanting badly to play Rifts....

[ 01-30-2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

My first game was a Mage: the Ascension LARP about seven years ago, which promptly folded after a month. I did Vampire: the Masquerade LARPing for about a year and a half after that. Of the twenty or so regular players, I was the only Ventrue. (That is, until the storyteller killed my character off in a fit of pique. Then I played a Toreador for two months before that group folded.)

High school was spent playing set D&D campaigns from modules. We met once a month for about three years. The last year, my senior year, we had D&D Days where we spent a full 24 hours doing nothing but playing. DMed a few times, but mostly worked off of notes from the regular DMs. Played 2nd edition rules.

Spent college playing Diablo, and a fellow Diablo player (anybody know Lemmy?) introduced me to the BG series. Started learning 3rd edition rules to play with the campus D&D group. Now I'm finally a member of the campus group (playing a level 8 bard/level 1 fighter) and also DMing for the first time in my own universe. TheBowler Hat Fiasco just rescued a few party members from ransom, and Baby Bowler Hat left off with the wizard, the lizard, and two party members antagonizing the fat guy, but you'd never know that from the LJ, because I haven't updated in a while. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm also familiar with Warhammer, Call of Cthulu, and Paladium, but mostly by association; boyfriend's a big gamer geek. But I have the bigger dice collection. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #19
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

Could anyone give me a rough (or detailed) outline of what PnP is all about? I have never seen or heard of any of the stuff you are talking about.
Cheers ,
Drew
Old 01-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #20
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Really?
(Mmmmm! Fresh blood...)
Basically... it involves several people usually sitting around a table. One is made Dungeon Master (DM) and leads the rest (the party) through character creation and whatnot. Then it is the DM's responsibility to come up with adventures (Either from their own mind, or premade campaigns you can buy at a store). The DM describes what the characters see, and the players hold conversations with each other and NPC's (Non-Player Characters, played by the DM), go on quests, and whatnot.
Usually the adventure starts with a 'hook' designed to draw the party into the adventure. It can be as simple as the king making a call far and wide for adventurers, to something far more sutble (like I prefer to do things).
The DM leads the party through dungeons, battles, all that good stuff, and the players say things like, "I attack the kobold king with my longsword" or "I'm casting Magic Missile now" or perhaps "I read the scroll. Can I decipher the script?"
It's tons of fun, and usually the atmosphere is one of casual good humor... though there can be extremely dramatic moments as well. All in all, it's a great way to pass the time, especially with a good DM and people you've played with for a while. Your characters take on lives of their own and they almost become independent entities... I cannot recommend it enough.
Hope that answers your question. For more info go to www.wizards.com and explore their site.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.