Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Some Lawmakers Want Pa. To Have Recall Powers

Group plans Nevada Gov. Kenny Guinn recall effort
Old 08-28-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

[img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img]

DemocraMania Running Wild!!!!! Catch it!!!!

[img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img]

Only $59.99 on pay-per-view's October lineup. Call and reserve yours now.

[ 08-28-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
MagiK

Should the voting public have a way to keep their elected leaders in check? Or should they have to let them wrek the economy beyond hope and wait for the next election? Personally My thoughts are thus:

1. Politicians and all public figures should be held to higher standards.
2. Public servants should be held accoutnable to the public and never feel all too secure in their jobs.
3. The people should with a 2/3 majority vote be able to overrule, recall or eject any public official.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

3. The people should with a 2/3 majority vote be able to overrule, recall or eject any public official.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
A swing of 16 1/2 points results in recall? (50.001% to win, 66.6% to recall.) Sounds like you're setting up a rather schizophrenic and hectic governmental structure. I see elections ocurring every 10 mos. in some places.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
A swing of 16 1/2 points results in recall? (50.001% to win, 66.6% to recall.) Sounds like you're setting up a rather schizophrenic and hectic governmental structure. I see elections ocurring every 10 mos. in some places.

If it were that easy to get a 2/3 majority we would have a vastly differnt world TL...You know it as well as I do that it's tough to get that many people to agree on anything [img]smile.gif[/img] And Im not just talkin elections here.

Edit: Oh and the words "Of the People, For the people, By the people" seem to fit in here some place....

[ 08-28-2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 08-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:

[img]smile.gif[/img]
A swing of 16 1/2 points results in recall? (50.001% to win, 66.6% to recall.) Sounds like you're setting up a rather schizophrenic and hectic governmental structure. I see elections ocurring every 10 mos. in some places. [/QUOTE]

If it were that easy to get a 2/3 majority we would have a vastly differnt world TL...You know it as well as I do that it's tough to get that many people to agree on anything [img]smile.gif[/img] And Im not just talkin elections here.
[/QUOTE]To force a recall election you need only gather a small fraction of signatures from registered voters, not 2/3rds. Then this small group force an expansive process on the vast majority of people that did not sign the petition ( in california's case about 70 million dollars). Nice way to hold a state hostage
Old 08-28-2003, 06:49 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Why not have a random lottery-type drawing, the winner of which gets to be President (or Governor, Senator, or whatever) for a certain period of time? Once you serve, your name is taken out of the lottery for 5 years. This will prevent incumbents being perpetually reelected and make recall elections unneeded. Furthermore, you could bring a fresh perspective and a touch of reality to politics that hasn't been seen in many a year. Oh, yes, you will also put an end to dirty campaigning, mudslinging, and questionable campaign contributions because none of those would be needed or useful.
On the other hand, a vast majority of citizens do not have...how shall I put it? They don't have the "nerve", the moxie, or whatever you wish to call it required to responsibly fulfill the duties required to run a political office successfully.

Now that would be a government "by the people"! [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
To force a recall election you need only gather a small fraction of signatures from registered voters, not 2/3rds. Then this small group force an expansive process on the vast majority of people that did not sign the petition ( in california's case about 70 million dollars). Nice way to hold a state hostage
Rokenn, the California recall can be shut down..all the voters have to do is vote no on the recall ballot..its their first option...or so Im told. OR They could even continue to vote for Grey Davis.....hardly what I call being coerced...yeah the majority would need to get off their couch potato butts and vote...but thats democracy for ya [img]smile.gif[/img]

What I said was what I beleived should be done....I made no claims that this is what is being done anywhere in actuality.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:00 PM   #9
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I agree with Magik that recalls are a good thing. The biggest problem I had with President Reagen was that he never could seem to recall.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
To force a recall election you need only gather a small fraction of signatures from registered voters, not 2/3rds. Then this small group force an expansive process on the vast majority of people that did not sign the petition ( in california's case about 70 million dollars). Nice way to hold a state hostage
Rokenn, the California recall can be shut down..all the voters have to do is vote no on the recall ballot..its their first option...or so Im told.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, AFTER 1 million force an election costing $70 million on a state of 50 million. (Gee, I hope those numbers are accurate.)