Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-06-2001, 12:29 PM   #1
Sentinel04
The Magister

This is a pretty funny board. Everyone here is nice. It's a nice place to chat and all BUT... it sometimes seems like people post just so they can have the most number of posts.

If that made any sense...

Anyway, I'm not trying to diss the board, because it does provide entertainment at work, but some these threads cough*spam*cough seem a little, uh, light on the intellectual content?

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 12:33 PM   #2
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

it has become a community of sorts.
and due to this alot of threads just turn into conversations.
not really spam for the sake of spam, just a side affect of communication

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 12:35 PM   #3
Moni

Sentinel,

Thanks for making me feel bad for adding to the thread! I needed that!

Moni

Old 04-06-2001, 12:36 PM   #4
Smegger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sentinel04 huh, some are real people talking about real life, some are jokes, some are well I don't really know but I you think the intellance of most of them are, hmmm, low why not make one otherwise. For this is a place where you can say anything (Baring flames and trolling) not everyone may like it but you got the right to speak. Beside not everyone posting for points here, some are having fun!

------------------
How many boards would a Mongol hoard, if a Mongol hoard got bored.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:37 PM   #5
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Just depends on what you are here for. There are some spammers here, but we have a had some real discussions here too. Like the French elections and the US elections. There is a lot of support offered here for RW problems as well. Then there are short stories that revolve around relationships here on the board. It's kind of like going to a open air market or a county fair. There is a little here for everyone!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 04-06-2001, 12:40 PM   #6
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Sentinel,

Thanks for making me feel bad for adding to the thread! I needed that!

Moni
Hehe sorry about that. I'm just some loser who got home from class and am board. Who cares what I think .

Stupid Amazon.com takes forever to send my crap.

God I've waited like a week for my freaking Vampire Masquerade game, and the Dragon Reborn...oh well.

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 12:52 PM   #7
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

General Discussion Forum is here to keep all the spam in one place. There are posts here on a lot of different topics. I tend to blow of steam by going to the Hope's Inn Threads and joking around there. There are the newbies who enjoy doing the spam, but it does wear off. I might have over a thousand posts, but only the first 100 or so were of the Spam variety. I think Yorick and myself have had some wonderful conversations on Religion and world views. We have writing posts that allow people to express themself throught their writing, along with poetry posts. We have asked for, given, received help/support/friendship on a variety of fronts. Which of us is can throw the first can of Spam. I have spammed in the past, and I try to make my posts add something to the mix. If you want some more 'intellectual posts' then make them. Some would wonder if a post complaining about spam might not be spam in itself . . .

You also have to take in account the fact that we have many different people, races, creeds, backgrounds, etc. What some people consider to be worthwhile, other consider spam, not worthy of attention.

Solution: If you have a problem with the conversations on the board, start other threads with good topics. It does work. Rikard had a good one a couple of days ago.

OR just ignor the spam and find threads that are more your type and post there. If you don't like the 'Inn' don't go there.

And please don't take this as an attack on you. I don't know you, and I am not the type to take offense and flame someone. Actually, I sometimes agree that the level of spam gets a little excessive on the board and I take my conversations elsewhere. But it is hard to make a blanket comment on a board of thousands of people and not expect someone to take the other side of the arguement. It's just my turn.

BK
Old 04-06-2001, 12:57 PM   #8
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
General Discussion Forum is here to keep all the spam in one place. There are posts here on a lot of different topics. I tend to blow of steam by going to the Hope's Inn Threads and joking around there. There are the newbies who enjoy doing the spam, but it does wear off. I might have over a thousand posts, but only the first 100 or so were of the Spam variety. I think Yorick and myself have had some wonderful conversations on Religion and world views. We have writing posts that allow people to express themself throught their writing, along with poetry posts. We have asked for, given, received help/support/friendship on a variety of fronts. Which of us is can throw the first can of Spam. I have spammed in the past, and I try to make my posts add something to the mix. If you want some more 'intellectual posts' then make them. Some would wonder if a post complaining about spam might not be spam in itself . . .

You also have to take in account the fact that we have many different people, races, creeds, backgrounds, etc. What some people consider to be worthwhile, other consider spam, not worthy of attention.

Solution: If you have a problem with the conversations on the board, start other threads with good topics. It does work. Rikard had a good one a couple of days ago.

OR just ignor the spam and find threads that are more your type and post there. If you don't like the 'Inn' don't go there.

And please don't take this as an attack on you. I don't know you, and I am not the type to take offense and flame someone. Actually, I sometimes agree that the level of spam gets a little excessive on the board and I take my conversations elsewhere. But it is hard to make a blanket comment on a board of thousands of people and not expect someone to take the other side of the arguement. It's just my turn.

BK
No offense taken. Heh I used to play Everquest, and I'd post on the official boards over there. You should have seen some of the flames that went on there . I'm pretty flame retardent. Also, sorry if I came off as some guy who thinks he's high and mighty.

This wasn't meant to be a complaint, nor do I have a problem with the board. It was just an observation. Oh well.

cya

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Moni

Sentinel, you can't be that much of a loser, you are here with us and we welcome you with open arms!

I am pretty new to the GD Forum ,really...I hang out mostly on the W&W Forum.

Stop in over there and Read the latest Editions of The Gael Serran Examiner, you'll get a kick out of them! Another game for you to check out too if you want something to do!

Hope you get your games soon! I hate being without monsters to destroy!

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 04-06-2001).]

Old 04-06-2001, 01:01 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel04:
Hehe sorry about that. I'm just some loser who got home from class and am board. Who cares what I think .

Don't say that! Like BK said this is General Discussion which is quite broad. Quite a bit of roleplaying goes on in here (a lot more than I originally thought!) but if you want to talk about anything don't be afraid to post it. Some people come here JUST for the roleplaying, some avoid it and talk about RL topics, some talk about sports, some just want to have a chat, some discuss politics. As you can see a very diverse group so I'm sure you'll find someone willing to discuss almost anything with you.

We don't like spamming for the sake of spamming (ie posting nonsense posts in unrelated threads) especially just for rank in here. I don't think this happens anymore. Friendly, conversational spamming for fun with people you know once in a while is fine as long as it doesn't get excessive. And like Smeg said, no flames or trolling.

Hope that helped.

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.