Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

They keep coming up through my Windows messenger service, how the hell do i stop them, they even pop up when i'm on NWN's, which causes me all kinds of problems. Help!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Disable the messenger service. You don't need it.

Depending on your Windows version, go to control panel, services (or control panel, administrative tools, services), find the messenger service, and deactivate it. Ignore any warnings; the odds are great that no system admin wants to communicate with you through that service.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:17 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Dude I had the exact same problem. Those weird grey boxes coming up during my NWN's multiplay. If you are running XP go to Start>Run and type Msconfig and under the Startup menu find the messenger service and disable it.

It is the worst piece of shit spamming method ever! Really it drove me mad when I first got XP.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:41 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well, i couldn't find a file for the Windows Messenger, but I found one called Messenger, and disabled it, hope it works. I'm tired of that crap, and yes, it is a shit way to spam someone. I found out my firewall was disabled too, so I enabled it, that may not be the problem, but it can't hurt, especially with a cable internet connection. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:09 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

You did it right, it's just called Messenger.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:12 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hooray, no more interuptions. It's a drag when your fighting, and have to guess whats up because of the pop up, and you can't even move it. Thanks again, maybe i can play a little longer now.
[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] How can you make them stop doing that, is there somewhere to report them?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's like reporting spam, it does nothing but brings you more spam [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I hate it especially in PVP as my screen would minimize and I'd be desperately trying to get back to the game. Grrrr...