Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Sythe
Ra

Sad

Do you believe that there is life other than the planet we live on. And I don't mean bacteria or that kind of celluar crap I mean smart life like us! Some people say I am crazy for thinking such a thing. But I still think there is! And has anybody in this forum seen an alien? No joking please!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Well, there are endless stretches of galaxies, billions apon billions of stars and planets out there in the universe, so yea, I'd say so.

I haven't seen an alien so to speak (unless you're talking about the movie ), but I do think there's other life out there, otherwise the universe is an incredible waste of space. I have many theories on this, but mankind isn't ready for them
Old 01-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

I believe in the possibility of life on other planets, but since I haven't seen any extra-terrestials in real life I'm not in any way absolutely sure about their possible existence. Something along those lines, yes.

BWT don't underestimate bacterias and other micro organisms, finding one out in space would be a great breakthrough.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I also think that there could be smart life out there somewhere - a lot of work has been done on this though, and the odds are not good. For life anything like life on earth to exist, you need a planet with a similar size and climate to Earth. If a planet is too small it cannot generate a big enough gravitational field and may itself be pulled into its star. If it's too big it will attract all sorts of space debris, asteroids etc. which will probably kill any life on impact.

You also need a similar solar system to ours over all. We would be long dead or never would have evolved if Jupiter wasn't in our solar system - it attracts most large asteroids which are destroyed against it - without it, something would have hit Earth by now.

You also need a similar size and age star. I have read about this and they have only discovered one or 2 planets many many lightyears away that are even remotely deemed suitable for life.

And before you go on about how other life would have different requirements to living than us - the universe wherever you are is still made up of the same elements with the same chemical and physical properties so things still operate under the same basic rules and can't be that different.

The bottom line is that while there are many many stars out there, solar systems exactly suited to life are very rare and it is actually feasible that we are alone, although I do believe that there could be smart life out there.

[ 01-12-2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Arrow

We are smart ?
Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
We are smart ?
There are some exceptions, such as the poster of the post before this one
Old 01-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

There is life out there but it is so far away that we will never meet it nor will it be able to meet us.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
There is life out there but it is so far away that we will never meet it nor will it be able to meet us.
Yes, a point made on a strong basis backed up by solid hard-core evidence [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It also depends on what you consider life to be. If you're looking for something that lives on a planet orbiting an M-class star with ambient temperatures ranging between -50 and +50 celcius... well, that leaves a whole lot of the universe out of the picture, doesn't it?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #10
Spirits forever

OF COURSE THERE IS INTELLIGENT LIFE FORMS BESIDES HUMANS!! but that's not being too descriptive since humans aren't that smart but if you're taling about life on other planets then there definatly has to be another planet like ours that is inhabitated by another type of *IntelligenT* beings ....