Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 05:38 AM   #1
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Personally I thought the Dragon Lance books where by far supperior compared to the Forgotten Realms books, but the Baldurs Gate games in the Forgotten Realms universe has really turned out perfect, is there anyone who knows if there ever was made any decent Dragon lance games???
Old 11-26-2002, 07:08 AM   #2
purre
Banned

Well,I dont know about the games,but I have an opinion about the books. Well,not an opinion,a question...sort of...About dragonlance,are they good? I havent read any.But I must say that forgottenrealms proved to be good,exept some fighting scenes or so,were a bit..disgusting.Well,good books though,worth reading definetly [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 07:16 AM   #3
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by purre:
Well,I dont know about the games,but I have an opinion about the books. Well,not an opinion,a question...sort of...About dragonlance,are they good? I havent read any.But I must say that forgottenrealms proved to be good,exept some fighting scenes or so,were a bit..disgusting.Well,good books though,worth reading definetly [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Personally I read the Dragonlance two first series twice and then started on Forgotten Realms and didn't reach midways of the first book because I thought it was so borring compared to what I had just read.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:19 AM   #4
Heartless Butterscotch
The Magister

Yeah, the 80's DragonLance "Chronicles" by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are still among the best fantasy books, imo.

As far as games go, I can't remember seeing a new DragonLance game since the old goldbox games (Dark Queen of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn).

[ 11-26-2002, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Heartless Butterscotch ]
Old 11-26-2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartless Butterscotch:
Yeah, the 80's DragonLance "Chronicles" by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are still among the best fantasy books, imo.

As far as games go, I can't remember seeing a new DragonLance game since the old goldbox games (Dark Queen of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn).
These games did rule but no way is up to the standard of Baldurs Gate, it could be cool if they made a game like BG in the GL universe.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:07 PM   #6
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Dragonlance is a FAR, FAR more intresting setting the FR. Those books are just awsome.

Purre- You should defaniatly check out the Chronicles and the Legends serries. Awsome books.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 11-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I think Chronicles and Legends are far superior to most any FR books I've read - the best of which are likely the Icewind Dale books. But, remember that DL put out as much crap as FR after the initial books. Dragons of Summer Flame and the short story book w/ Caramon's son, etc. (I forget the name) were pretty good, not *as* good as Chronicles/Legends of course. But, as for the more recent DL stuff, it's gotten way too far out there. And, all the "back history" books, a la Flint the King, Kaz the Minotaur, Tanis the Whiny, Riverwind the Boring, etc - they SUCK.

Sorry, but I've ranted about bad fantasy on another forum, and calling most TSR-published books "art" is a bit of a stretch for me.

Oh, and on that note - THIS BELONGS ON ANOTHER FORUM!
I say that because I'm reading an ever-increasing amount of book/movie posts here, and it clogs up GD. There is a reason there are other forums. Would you post a "Help w/ Demi-Kangaxx" thread here? Well. . . [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] nevermind.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:51 PM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well i also agree the Dragonlance books were great. I really enjoyed them. It has been along time since I have read them. But the stories are well writen and flow very nice.

One other note of a good read is David Edings books.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:32 PM   #9
Heartless Butterscotch
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
One other note of a good read is David Edings books.
David Eddings kicks ass!

Only Salvatore's Artemis Entreri compares to that lovable sneak named Silk.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, guys, but as I've said before, David Eddings is/was good at one thing only: character development. In Pawn of Prophecy, he's great. With Sparhawk, he's great. But, by the time he gets to book no. 2 of his various series, it's pretty much a rehash of what's come before with little suspense, too much predictability, and lots of reruns of the same jokes. C'mon, how many times can one ask whose turn it is to make breakfast - and then fall for the same line, "Yours" ? And don't get me started on the fact fact that the Mallorean is the Belgariad redux, and the same with the Elenium / Tamuli.