Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-19-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Greetings again ye joyous w&w community of infinite wisdom! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've just landed my weary party in the third city, at Brimloch Roon to much rejoicing and selling of accumulated wealth. Purchased a ship, but haven't used it yet! Although, I did swim along a coast and had that nice little encounter with Agorthias. In the midst of trying to parley with him, his callously uncivilised brethren fired arrows which brought a glint to the eye of the Wizard Vigamortis. Upon his gesticulation, we retreated and Viga poured his wrath and scorn incarnate into a firestorm to make undead Centaur ashes.

So how far have I come and how far is there to go I wonder? I shouldn't really ask questions like that, but providing the answer doesn't interfere with my enjoyment, feel free to respond!

During the frenzy of exploration within Dragon Spire, I'd got to the point where I'd found two pieces of jagged crystal which I quickly surmised were for the entrance shield to Erathsmedor. The third piece however, eluded me for a long time and I spent many a frustrating hour retreating my steps in the dungeon, looking for odd recesses or niches in the map which I might have missed. I was almost going to save, switch off and ask this very forum where it was, but decided to persist. It was the first time I'd got vaguely annoyed with the game at all!

However my mood changed utterly when as I got into the pull-rope elevator near Hephaestus place, all grim faced, a chumpy little rat seemed to appear out of nowhere, floating in suspended animation, right in front of my field of vision. I pulled the rope, expecting it to fall down, but instead, it got munchily squished between the elevator and the roof right in front of me!
The party and I laughed heartily and so the vigour and morale for the quest at hand was high again!
Little moments like this in the game really add to its flighty charms and addictiveness.

Another hilarious moment came after the party finally figured that jumping off a bridge in the name of exploration isn't necessarily as suicidal as it seems. The vaccuum sucked us down the current, but after much too-ing and fro-ing, the little cavern which held the chest containing the last jagged crystal was found!
Now, during the parley with Erathsmedor (who I found a little bit underwhelming and not quite as majestic as I'd imagined in the scales) unbenownst to both talking parties, out of nowhere walks this nefariously mysterious Highland Rogue. He stops right next to Erathsmedor as if he was his own personal little protector. Anyway, the dragon is half way through his speech about the Mavin and this bold sneaky rogue starts interrupting him, accosting us for our gold and doing bad math about us being outnumbered and such. At first I was a bit miffed and outraged that it'd taken me so long to get to the dragon and this little git just happens to stroll in like that, but then hearing him interrupt the dragon just cracked me up. I was expecting Erathsmedor to flick him away as he would a fly, but that task eventually fell to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else have similar funny stories to recount which have come at a time when the game was becoming a tad hard or tedious? If so, feel free!
That gory rat death in particular was a golden well timed moment.

Well, time for me to make some tea and head back in to Brimloch Roon!

Wielding the Mavin, feeling blessed by the divine and wondering where the eeeeeeeevil comes in, [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Cerebrodragon.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Excellent!!!

I always enjoy reading about the strange and unusual things that happen to other players and haven't happened to me. Makes me want to haul out the game again and replay it (if I had the time - maybe one of these days)!

I've always had a fondness for the Rogues - they can be so funny. The solo Rogue stating that my party is outnumbered never fails to make me chuckle!

Hope many other posters will add their unique experiences here as well!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Warning: The following might be percepted as spoilish.

First of all, judging from your account of the events you went through the underwater passage, down the waterfall and through the "back entrance" into the niche behind the boulders, containing the final dragonshard.

Know you the following: The "right" way to attain the dragonshard starts in the darkness at the bottom of the Colanth's lake. If one dives to the bottom and looks up one will see not only the hole through which one came but also another. Swimming through this hole one will meet Urthdala, the Oracle of the Earth. This stone guardian will provide one with a divine sigil which, apart from removing the boulders blocking the path to the final dragonshard, also has some very awesome capabilities in terms of protection. It might be worth getting.

Secondly I can inform you, that you are roughly two thirds through the game.

And thirdly I will regale you with the stories of my two biggest crises in dealing with this game. The first one came early. It was the almost legendary over-looking of the lever in the crypt. I spent about a week - deciding finally to take one more look at this undergroung room before deleting the game from my hard disk for good. And lo and behold - there it was. I still remember the moment of joy when I had my party leader flip the lever and got the "loading" sign. Another crisis evolved in the city of Collasium when I could not find the third tablet. (If you have spoken with Hephaestus you will know what I am talking about). By that time I was somewhat fed up with the game and did not touch it for a month. When the desire to play came back I tried going through the problem logically and found out there was really no problem. I then finished the game in a frenzy of Wizards and Warriors enthusiasm which has stayed intact ever since.