Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Default Monitor and eye pain?

This has been bugging me for a while now. (not just mentally, but I've actually had complications because of it.)

I spend alot of time on the computer and as a result have major eyes strain. And recently it's been getting worse, so I do what any sane person would do- turn to an online forum for help.

What do you guys do to prevent eye strain? Lcd settings? Special Lcds? Tricks etc?
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Monitor and eye pain?

I had severe eyestrain at one point. Eliminate the following before you bother with my solution. I do know the agony you're going through, as it can become so severe after a time that it is with you all day.

Monitor refresh rate. Change it to 75hz or up as 60 ish can cause headaches and (I am told) eyestrain.

Bad monitor. Try changing out the monitor or playing for a few hours on a friends monitor, to see if you get the same effect.

Eyesight. You could simply need glasses. But see, I was told this so many times and I knew my eyesight was laser-sharp. It turned out not to be the case for me. Still, it is a possibility of eyestrain for many, although it is overrated imo.

And finally, the one that caused it for me. Lighting. When I would read about the need for good lighting I always assumed it soley referred to lightbulbs and lamps in your room. Not so. You must have a good balance of light/dark in regards to your focus/out of focus view when looking at a monitor. As a thumbrule, monitors are bright in the foreground so your background should be dark. This is why most people feel comfortable turning off the lights when the TV is on. If you have a white wall and are playing a game like BG or Thied on your monitor that is against this wall, you will, after a period of time develop eyestrain. This is not some people, this is all people. Give it long enough and the eyes begin to ache with this setup. The solution, make your backgrounds darker. A window that has white blinds or sun beaming thru it will also do the same, because it create a bright square in the background. Make sure that your whole background -everything in your line of vision when you sit at the computer- is darker than your monitor. Do not operate in the dark though, light the room properly but keep the lights behind you or to the side rather than in your field of vision.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits Reborn View Post
This has been bugging me for a while now. (not just mentally, but I've actually had complications because of it.)

I spend alot of time on the computer and as a result have major eyes strain. And recently it's been getting worse, so I do what any sane person would do- turn to an online forum for help.

What do you guys do to prevent eye strain? Lcd settings? Special Lcds? Tricks etc?
Howdy SR,

I'd second SW's tips, especially having the lighting off to the side, so it doesn't make the screen glarey.

Don't have the brightness set too high.

Sit a reasonable distance from the screen - an arms length with fingers extended is often recommended as a minimum.

Often overlooked is eyestrain from looking at a fixed distance (ie monitor) for extended periods. This website has some suggestions, including eye exercises, that may help relieve peeper stress

http://www.stretchnow.com.au/newsletters/03_05.htm

Last edited by Kezardin; 06-09-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

My personal plan, modify as needed.

As big, yet quality a screen as you can afford.

Natural style lights or light bulbs. I have both, when I was compiling research for my final college papers I used a Ott full spectrum floor mount with the swing arm going over my desk. Additionally, there is a standard desk lamp behind my monitor with a GE Reveal bulb in it, on from 30 minutes before dusk until finished.

Refresh rate has been discussed, if you are gaming, in game frame rate plays havoc as well.

AND, take a 10 minute break every hour, (Non-negotiable) and walk outside and look into the distance if at all possible. If not, don't watch TV for that break, pace back and forth down the longest part of your living quarters as possible. Key is refocusing to distance.

Get a eye exam to ensure you don't have any internal issues at play here as well. Once the gritty feeling arrives, it's really time to do something else.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I turn the brightness down on the monitor (I used to have a cover that went over it that made it all darker and cut out glare) and a few years ago had to get glasses.
The advice I was given was the usual sit further away from the screen and take a break every so often.

And go to the optician.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Alright awesome. I'll definitely try those things.
My refresh rate was always at that 75 . I think it could be because I had my monitor really bright. I changed that and it seems to be easier on the eyes.

Plus I found this interesting program that changes the colour temprature of your monitor depending on the time of the day. Don't know yet if this helps, but a friend reccomended it. So we'll see.

http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/ Sounds like a cuss word, but meh

Also learned to keep a bottle of eye drops by the computer. =)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely do the 1 hour- 10 min break thing and will fool around with the lighting to see what works.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The lighting is most likely the cause, so don't downplay it. Make sure there's nothing too bright in the background or of to the side of your vision when you look at the montior.