Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Surprised Man What the hell is going on in Egypt?

President has announced a new cabinet, yet refuses to step down as the public want. Why is it so hard for him to do? Clearly, he got the message.

Quote:
CAIRO – Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak swore in a new Cabinet on Monday, replacing one dissolved as a concession to unprecedented anti-government protests.

In the most significant change, the interior minister — who heads internal security forces — was replaced. A retired police general, Mahmoud Wagdi, was named to replace Habib el-Adly, who is widely despised by protesters for brutality shown by security forces.

Still, the new Cabinet is unlikely to satisfy the tens of thousands of protests who have taken to the streets in cities across Egypt the past week demanding nothing short of the ouster of Mubarak and his entire regime. As news of the appointments broke, thousands massed in the protest's epicenter, Cairo's central Tahrir Square, broke into chants of "we want the fall of the regime."

"We dont recognize any decisions Mubarak has taken since Jan. 25," Mostafa el-Naggar, a supporter of prominent reform advocate Mohamed ElBaradei, referring to the first day of the protests. "This is a failed attempt — he is done with."

Mubarak announced the dissolving of the previous government late Friday, naming his intelligence chief and close aide Omar Suleiman as vice president and former Air Force general Ahmed Shafiq as prime minister. But protesters immediately rejected the move as an attempt by Mubarak, Egypt's authoritarian ruler of nearly 30 years, to cling to power.

The new line-up of Cabinet ministers announced on state television included stalwarts of Mubarak's regime but purged several of the prominent businessmen who held economic posts and have engineered the country's economic liberalization policies the past decades. Many Egyptians resented to influence of millionaire politician-moguls, who were close allies of Mubarak's son, Gamal, long thought to be the heir apparent for the presidency.

In the new Cabinet, Mubarak retained his long-serving defense minister, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi — and gave him an additional title of deputy prime minister — and also kept Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit.

But for some posts, Mubarak brought in new blood by naming figures who hold widespread respect in their fields. For example, Gaber Asfour, a prominent literary figure, was named culture minister. He replaced the longest-serving Cabinet member, Farouq Hosni, who had held the post for more than 25 years. Also, Egypt's most famous archaeologist, Zahi Hawass, was named state minister for antiquities, a new post.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110131/...mi_ea/ml_egypt
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Default Re: What the hell is going on in Egypt?

You didnt expect him to voluntarily give up his position did you? This man has been ruling for what...30 odd years? Opposition not allowed...stuff like that. The only thing that kinda worries me, if he indeed steps down, that the country will become a victim of idiots like the Islamic Brotherhood, and become an abomination like Iran. same thing goes for Tunesia btw, they seem vulnerable atm as well, a perfect time to strike for religeous fanatics.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Given the fact that many in the nation are saying they want him dead, yeah, kinda. I mean, I'd gtfo of my country if my people rose en-masse on the streets all because they wanted me gone. That would tell me 30 years is enough, goodbye. If he remains, he needs to be very careful of attempts on his life. It must suck when the biggest death threats you have are coming from your own people.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

It's all because of "wikileaks"!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
It's all because of "wikileaks"!
LOL nah, wikileaks could cause some ruckus at best, but not entire uprisings. besides, as far as i know Egypt wasn't even mentioned in the stuff they released so far. Matter of fact, i havent seen anything "shocking" from wikileaks at all. I mean...telling us that certain people regard Berlusconi as a pompous pimp isnt really news, we all knew that already.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Iran, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Syria... a humanist/democratic movement is spreading like wildfire through the middle east. Best of luck to them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo5Fn1-2E8o

"We will not be silenced. Whether you a christian, whether you are a muslim, whether you an atheist. You will demand your god damned rights, and we will have our rights, one way or the the other. We will never be silenced."
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote