Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 09:00 AM   #151
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Yeah, and then we (The WEST) complain 'cos they use 'em. We even train 'em in guerilla warfare, etc, and go beserk when they dare use it against us.
Hypocrisy or what?

Easy for you to take those actions out of the context of the times Flot. You weren't responsible for trying to prevent Global Thermo Nuclear war. The times were called the cold war, you may remember that time? The USA and trhe Soviets were on the brink of exterminating all life on the planet, mostly because of some really messed up peace making attempts in the post World War II
time frame. Yeha the mess was of our own making but noone ever claimed to be omniscient or omnipotent. We did the best we could to win the cold war without killing every human in europe. It was the very hard work and very hard choices made by the leaders of my country that eventually brought the cold war to an end..without devastating Europe and in the process rebuilding the whole western part of the continet to boot. Yes we financed extremists to help us solve a bad situation. Would you have prefered a limited Nuclear exchange maybe on your soil to help avoid financing extremists? It is sooo easy to use hind sight and say ohh that was brilliant. In the end, they did the best they could, were they always right?? no, but they did manage to end the cold war. I for one am glad of that.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:19 AM   #152
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I've noticed a lot of posts (especially a few pages back) debating which country is more ignorant.
"The British don't know what the capitol of Virginia is" or "The Americans don't know the middle name of the Prime Minister" or some such nonsense.
How many British and Americans know it is evil to crash a plane into a huge building and kill thousands of unsuspecting people? That is a piece of knowledge that I find relevant.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:23 AM   #153
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Easy for you to take those actions out of the context of the times Flot. You weren't responsible for trying to prevent Global Thermo Nuclear war. The times were called the cold war, you may remember that time? The USA and trhe Soviets were on the brink of exterminating all life on the planet, mostly because of some really messed up peace making attempts in the post World War II
time frame. Yeha the mess was of our own making but noone ever claimed to be omniscient or omnipotent. We did the best we could to win the cold war without killing every human in europe. It was the very hard work and very hard choices made by the leaders of my country that eventually brought the cold war to an end..without devastating Europe and in the process rebuilding the whole western part of the continet to boot. Yes we financed extremists to help us solve a bad situation. Would you have prefered a limited Nuclear exchange maybe on your soil to help avoid financing extremists? It is sooo easy to use hind sight and say ohh that was brilliant. In the end, they did the best they could, were they always right?? no, but they did manage to end the cold war. I for one am glad of that.

Just America, was it?
I'm 64. I lived through all that. Brought my children up through it. Lived in fear of what America might do next. Of what Russia might do next. And yes, I remember it all too well.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 09:23 AM   #154
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
I've noticed a lot of posts (especially a few pages back) debating which country is more ignorant.
"The British don't know what the capitol of Virginia is" or "The Americans don't know the middle name of the Prime Minister" or some such nonsense.
How many British and Americans know it is evil to crash a plane into a huge building and kill thousands of unsuspecting people? That is a piece of knowledge that I find relevant.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 09:34 AM   #155
MagiK

Quote:
Just America, was it?
I'm 64. I lived through all that. Brought my children up through it. Lived in fear of what America might do next. Of what Russia might do next. And yes, I remember it all too well.

Actually yes it was pretty much just America that the world looked to during those times. Were we standing alone? no. But it was the leaders of the United States that had the burden of trying to find an end to it without slipping and wasting the world. No other country's leaders had to fear that a slight misstep, a misspoken word or a ship that zigged when it should have zagged would cause the world to disappear. The USSR would not have initiated world war III because a Danish fishing boatcaptain went rogue and sailed into the wrong place. Yes everyone had to worry about the possibility of World War III but it was "primarily" the USA and the USSR that had to gauge every single breath to try and not accidently start the beginning of the end.

As I said I didn't say no other countries aided the USA or the Soviets, but the heavy weight of responsibility weighed the heaviest on the leaders of those two countries. The presidents and the hmm ya know I dont even know what the soviets leaders official title was anymore... well the presidents and the leaders of the USSR were men made of very strong character to have shown the restraint and the ability to avoid total destruction and I hope that every one remembers that.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 09:35 AM   #156
MagiK

Quote:
Just America, was it?

Actually I knew you were in your 60's it wasn't till just recently that I learned your gender though, so I do apologize for treating you like a Bloke and not a lady.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 09:38 AM   #157
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
it wasn't till just recently that I learned your gender though, so I do apologize for treating you like a Bloke and not a lady.
[/B]
Just my 2c, but why should it matter, male or female, how you respond. Are you indicating that you show more respect and "hedge" your comments towards a female member more than towards a male? I treat everyone EQUALLY.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.*
Old 09-14-2001, 09:39 AM   #158
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
Absolutely Zateel! All this nationalistic posturing is bullshit... we all have to get together and take care of each other and focus on putting a stop to these kinds of insane acts.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:40 AM   #159
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Actually yes it was pretty much just America that the world looked to during those times. Were we standing alone? no. But it was the leaders of the United States that had the burden of trying to find an end to it without slipping and wasting the world. No other country's leaders had to fear that a slight misstep, a misspoken word or a ship that zigged when it should have zagged would cause the world to disappear. The USSR would not have initiated world war III because a Danish fishing boatcaptain went rogue and sailed into the wrong place. Yes everyone had to worry about the possibility of World War III but it was "primarily" the USA and the USSR that had to gauge every single breath to try and not accidently start the beginning of the end.

As I said I didn't say no other countries aided the USA or the Soviets, but the heavy weight of responsibility weighed the heaviest on the leaders of those two countries. The presidents and the hmm ya know I dont even know what the soviets leaders official title was anymore... well the presidents and the leaders of the USSR were men made of very strong character to have shown the restraint and the ability to avoid total destruction and I hope that every one remembers that.

Well, every country writes its own history to suit itself. I seem to remember an awful lot of diplomacy and legwork on the part of British leaders and other Europeans to cool the hot tempers of both Washington and Moscow.
But then, I haven't read your history books. I only lived through it.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 09:42 AM   #160
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Actually I knew you were in your 60's it wasn't till just recently that I learned your gender though, so I do apologize for treating you like a Bloke and not a lady.
No worries, MagiK! I'm a human being, lol, just treat me that way!

------------------