Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 05-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #31
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That's a distinct possibility. You would think they would know better after that fiasco too.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #32
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

it looks to me as if the main reason for no dm client in the release, is from this:
http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/news...p?storyid=1068

gamespy strikes again. not supprising overall, I always thought gamespy was the worst part of NWN.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #33
Albromor
Mephistopheles

It said "unforseen delays" concerning the DM client. So... how do we take this? As a true delay but it will eventually be there or Obsidian speak, i.e., "we'll never implement it butit will keep the wolves at bay"?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #34
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok, so they are going to release the DM Client as a patch the same day the game comes out. There servers are probably going to be really busy for the first few days.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #35
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's a bit foolish though. Why would they do that?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #36
Legolas
Jack Burton

Mainly because that gives them more time to develop the client. If they'd want it on the disk, production couldn't start until later.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #37
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by SHO-VA:
it looks to me as if the main reason for no dm client in the release, is from this:

gamespy strikes again. not surprising overall, I always thought gamespy was the worst part of NWN.
That is kinda BS though. There is a gamedev code plugin you add to the engine, its not like they have to recode the entire thing into NWN2. It sounds like a blame-game. (i.e. they blame someone besides themselves).

Without gamespy, MANY people wouldn't be hooking up and playing NWN. You'd be surprised.

I remember when gamespy was run by 4 people, and then, it was called Quake-spy. Was made for Quake 1. [img]smile.gif[/img] I even registered it.

Don't use it now--as a separate program-- but it's plugin IS in many games now--and it does help.

What I don't get is they said the DM client won't be touched, so why is it missing? If the code is there, and works, so should the gamespy code.

Atari has been hurting for a long time now, and MANY Games in the past year have been rated high, but remember Temple of Elemental Evil? That was a shit game, and people blamed Atari.. lol. Nope, it was the developers. They released crappy/buggy games before with different publishers.

You can't always blame the Publisher. (We shall see what happens with NWN2). Hope all goes well though. I want NWN2 to kick ass! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #38
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

And they plan a 'Collectors Edition' ?!

lol.. How about in the Collectors version they actually ADD the DM Client.

I just don't get this. If they are gonna release the DM client the day of release, why not just delay the release 3 weeks, and actually get it on the disc? It takes 3 weeks at most to send the gold disc in for replication.

The lead on this project is making some very bad decisions.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 AM   #39
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by SHO-VA:

gamespy strikes again. not surprising overall, I always thought gamespy was the worst part of NWN.
That is kinda BS though. There is a gamedev code plugin you add to the engine, its not like they have to recode the entire thing into NWN2. It sounds like a blame-game. (i.e. they blame someone besides themselves).

Without gamespy, MANY people wouldn't be hooking up and playing NWN. You'd be surprised.

I remember when gamespy was run by 4 people, and then, it was called Quake-spy. Was made for Quake 1. [img]smile.gif[/img] I even registered it.

Don't use it now--as a separate program-- but it's plugin IS in many games now--and it does help.

What I don't get is they said the DM client won't be touched, so why is it missing? If the code is there, and works, so should the gamespy code.

Atari has been hurting for a long time now, and MANY Games in the past year have been rated high, but remember Temple of Elemental Evil? That was a shit game, and people blamed Atari.. lol. Nope, it was the developers. They released crappy/buggy games before with different publishers.

You can't always blame the Publisher. (We shall see what happens with NWN2). Hope all goes well though. I want NWN2 to kick ass! [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Yeah but Troika would always insist (even before ToEE was released) that Atari gave them a deadline and wouldn't compromise. The way they kept saying this in interviews would remind me the kid who has been asked by his teacher to produce his homework, but knows it is incomplete. He fumbles around in his bag, feigning a desperate search and commenting on how diffcult his assigment was in an effort to 'ease the blow' until he finally runs out of time and has to take the heat.

When I spotted these comments by Troika in the pre-release interviews I knew to never buy the game as it would be a mish-mash of bugs and code. They openly told people how pushy Atari were about getting their product out on the shelves despite their admittance that it was laden with bugs. Since then I avoid Atari as much as I can. I feel even NWN's suffered at their hands but Bioware saved their asses and managed to shelter the game for us. That is the only time I would buy another of their games, if it held the D&D title and was being designed by someone who actually cared about it.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #40
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Troika was a very poor company IMO. Their art in-game is some of the worst I have seen. (VERY grainy). I hate that look.

(Fallout looked like this too)

Just didn't like their artists style. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I would have worked before 3D video cards came out.. but blah...

I'm not saying that graphics are more important than story (Fallout had a killer story), but when a game has poor graphics, it does tend to drag on the other aspects of the game. [img]smile.gif[/img]