Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2001, 11:14 PM   #11
DrDave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yep:
Better light during the day
Proper rests at night (or light)
Levers that are actually visible
Ladders you go down without a first class degree
Dungeons at least as large as WW
Ranged attacks to be turn-based (I hate being in TB with one group of monsters only for another group to start casting spells from a distance)
More chance to choose target areas/types of attack and defence during combat
Our actions (good or bad) should have consequences - I'm not saying you have to be rigidly good or bad but offing every npc in sight should tip off the next poor mug you meet!
No toads!
The whole thing to be a bit harder
Basically the game to be more like Dark Savant!

[This message has been edited by DrDave (edited 03-08-2001).]
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 01:07 AM   #12
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

1. One thing that I miss is the ability to look at your map while in combat. When I was running from those mantraps the first time, I couldn't see where I was going, so I ran back into them.
2. Better dialog from the "monsters." I love it when one Highland Rogue attacks and says "You are outnumbered." (When does one outnumber six?)
3. Ability for several to sign up on the same quest at the same time. (Kind of like the town hall, but with the ability to choose which ones will be on the quest.)

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 05:48 PM   #13
UncleJoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, I thought I could add something, but it's ALL already in here!!!
Never-the-less, my big list is:
1. More hit points when leveling up. One is ridiculous!
2. A simpler method for blessing and enchanting, plus allow it for unequipped items.
3. Put an end to the repetitive comments when you enter town buildings, e.g. "Too bad you didn't complete the quest, etc." for each and every character each and every time they come in!!! Once is enough, already!
4. Put some real money in the treasure chests so you don't have to buy and sell arrows to stay alive.
5. Don't allow friendly NPC's to be attacked. What's the point, anyway?
6. Open country-side, not just a series of paths.
7. A minor gripe: do away with points for blasting mice and birds and roaches.

On the other hand, I really like the dungeons and the puzzels and the game play. And the ability to ascend to other classes is a joy (most of the time!). Overall, lots of good points, a few major flaws. Feels like it was rushed to completion before it was really ready. Will W&W2 meet the same fate?
UncleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 07:02 PM   #14
slug
Manshoon

i haven't exactly compiled a list yet. it occured to me recently that i miss being surprised by monsters. i also miss fights with a few groups at a time. i know you remember getting surprised in the monster allocation center, for that all important blue ribbon. i want to fight 9 ratlings sneeks, 9 worgur mastiffs, 9 giant spiders and 9 creeping cruds.

i wish there were more "i could die here" type fights and far fewer piddly ones. i not only got sick of fighting fish, i stopped doing so unless they were immovably in my way.

i take issue with those who would say this game is too easy. i don't think it's too easy. i just think the difficulty is in the wrong places. the dungeons are tedious instead of deadly. the npc's are not harboring secrets that you need to finish the game. you click they talk.

the convenient place that remembers your spells should be simply a list of all your spells. going into your spellbook during combat does make the game harder, but that isn't where the difficulty should be.

there are many untapped potentials in this otherwise great game. i am afraid they didn't ask this question soon enough, since they are testing the new one. i hope they were able to cover all these bases.

i think i'll start the, "what do you like about W&W" thread. i would hope it gets more replies than this one.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 07:05 PM   #15
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

slug -

This is actually the continuation of another thread called: Wonderful Wish List which got many replies.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 07:59 PM   #16
dexter
Elite Waterdeep Guard

everything that was mentionned before is good but there is some others things.

1)more traps (not only on chest)
2)new types of monsters
3)more weapons kinds (not only swords!!!)
4)more spells
5)more difficulties levels
6)BIG dungeons
7)more abilities and traits
8)a scrolling bar in the menu!
9)more kinds of items

------------------
dExTeR
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 12:10 AM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

What I would most like to see in the game would be that whatever action you take would have consequences. This would give the option of playing pure "good", pure "evil", or some balance in between.

I've already had my rant about Erathsmedor and Oakenmir. My rant was actually more directed at the game than at any player who is killing these NPC's, because, yes, the game should allow the killing of these NPCs, but should also reflect grave consequences upon the PC's. You get the feeling in this game that you can basically run amuck and that nothing will happen. You're right.

To dredge up an old example: in Wizardry VII (Dark Savant); any action you took directly affected how other NPC's interacted with you. If, for example, I chose to league with the T'Rang (the evil spider-people), the military Umpani (think Oomphaz in combat fatigues) would become your arch-enemies, or vice-versa. If I decided to kill one of the storekeepers, whoever they were leaged with wouldn't care much for my party any more. How much more fulfilling Wizards and Warriors would have been with such a system! That's what I would truly like to see in the next WW.

For example: if I decided to kill Erathsmedor, Hephaestus would come gunning for me with some of his robotic creations (imagine having to fight Iron Golems wrought by the master mechanic)? Or Erzebette would summon something at my characters. If I did such a thing as a Paladin, I would fall in grace or lose a rank in the guild, even though I gained mega XP. It would be a trade-off: do I want the XP, even though I'm really p'o'ing some potentially helpful NPC's and losing some standing in my guilds? Now it becomes a dilemma. Killing Scanthril should have some repercussions among the Assassin community. Things like that.

Let's hope that whatever D.W.'s next creation is, he gets a chance to put something like this into it. (He's fully capable of it, guys; he's the man who created Wiz 6 and 7).

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 06:47 AM   #18
DrDave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Having said all that about the desirability of our actions having consequences and impacting on future NPC reactions that old Ratkin bloke in Dark Savant refused to listen to a word I said even though I hadn't laid a finger, paw or claw on any of his chums. Admittedly the stick I looted from his corpse (at the third attempt) made a very useful weapon but it was a bit vexing as I rather liked the Ratkins.
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 12:30 PM   #19
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I find the game perfect in everyway. Maybe it's just me, but 1 hit point to raise a level is the IDEA. The game is not supposed to be easy like 95% of the other games out on the shelves. I like this game since it IS TOUGH and the world is enormus. The storyline follows the suit of DW Bradley. I'm so hooked by this game! If it were me, I'd play for 24 hours straight!

Anyway, I think the game looks great! What's the matter with the graphics - nothing. I have had NO ERRORS at all. When I do "the dance" getting an object, just hold the right mouse button down and turn it a bit. There is only one error I do find annoying that really is not that bad or truly bothers me - it's the fact that once a monster is killed, items are dropped and some disappear either underneath the creature or just disappear alltogether. I have no idea why, but it doesn't affect my gameplay.

I just got finished with the crypt and LOVED it! I think Scabban is totally cool and his voice was the same. Hope there's more like him! I'm now in Isbad N'ah and starting for the next town. LOVE THIS GAME!

If there is a sequel (I pray at least there is an add-on) then I would leave the engine alone, but if there are bugs (I have yet to find one) then they should be fixed. The only problem as a "bug" I have is Windows STINKS! It just can't run a darned thing. Maybe Linux is an option since it can now run Windows games. I'm so shocked on DW's original site people are slamming him so bad that they can't figure how to install the game. What a shame that this wonderful guy took four long years of his life to make a true masterpiece and people just attack him. Makes you wonder if people even read the manuals to Winblows? Most of the people I met on the other site are rude, obnoxious and can't even figure out how to set the swapfile at an even 300! Makes you wonder if they're gamers at all.

No matter how you look at this game though, after 4 long years yes, the game's graphics will look dated. Trying to update this would take ANOTHER long year alone. That would be a waste. People are so heck-bent on graphics it makes me sick! Graphics DO NOT make a game. Storyline DOES. I'd rather have a storyline to keep my interests to the game than the graphics. Actually to me the outdoors area looks perfectly fine!

Before I go (I had to vent nicely of course) I can't fathom why people are using DDR memory graphics cards. They are so buggy! DDR memory on the new MB's are buggy. They don't work right - why do people think I kept my Rage 128 pro with 32MB of memory? I also have 512MB of memory and an AMD (slot A) 900MHz Athlon Thunderbird on the OLDEST motherboard: the AI61 (the first ever released). It's the new boards that have some problems with that DDR memory. Most games WILL NOT recognize it! I never rush out and buy new items without READING about them first. As for Wizards and Warriors, I read in CGSP (Computer Games Strategy Plus) of the WORST rating this game could get. So, I naturally sent them an email and told them I would try the game just out of sheer spite; not because DW's name was on it. Once I got the game I couldn't stop myself. It's that addictive. It's NOT hard to install the game - it took me 20 minutes with the full 1.1 gig installed and it ran like clockwork. Windows is the culprit folks. If you have to shout, scream and moan about the problems (not here you guys are really great - it's the other boards that drive me batty!) then get rid of the Windows version you're using or tweak your systems to RUN PROPERLY! 90% of the people I met on the other boards can't even find where to set the swapfile for goodness sake! How hard is this? I have ALL my backround proggies running and have 81% memory open when I play and I've not had one problem. Of course the memory has to be really clean too. Oh well, live and learn; they'll always be whiners and whimps.

I LOVE this forum and just wanted to tell you all what is going on over at DW's BBS board. It's truly sad. I may be new, but I'm sure I know what I'm talking about. I LOVE W&W and am honored to be in the presence of all of you! Please email me if you wish. I have posted in this forum with "This game is truly amazing". Please read it and see if I'm off and send me what you think. I like to hear what people think. I just hope he doesn't change too much of the next release but fixes the "bugs" you guys seem to have. Hope you all got the patch - I of course didn't need it but you guys might. If you want it, email me and I'll send it to ya! Thanks for making all us NEWBIES for W&W welcome! I also hope to hear from you all!!!

Druadic
Druadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 10:40 AM   #20
Elara
The Magister

All very nicely said, y'all.

A few more things:

- Once an item is identified, it and all found later just like it stay identified when dropped, and whatever it's repair percentage or where it's like might be found again. It's just plain silly that everyone in the party loses their memory in this regard.

- If we opt for monster spawn as 'frequent', make it frequent and more of 'em!

- The only place in the game that quests are awarded to everyone in the party at once is at the Town Hall. Seems it should be easy enough to sign everyone who wants to and can do a particular guild quest up at once, and to flag each one committed to a quest to be rewarded at once. And the need for multiple items to be exchanged in a quest or returned for a quest is redundant.

- Condition icons with highlighted descriptions. Or maybe, if once identified by the temples, the condition icons will highlight their description.

- Would love to see a Fly spell added

- More obvious options for use of Create Portal, Teleport and Call of Home spells, such as a drop-down menu for returning to what specific portal or town.

To reiterate a few other points:

- Rest areas to heal and/or pass the night
- Illuminate spell that actually makes a difference
- Scrolling spell option for combat
- Compass
- Clock
- The ability to crouch
- Ladders that don't require a closer connection to simian ancestry..
- Better items and equipment in later guilds and stores
- Consequences for our contrary actions in the game.. we do bad, well, doo-doo city for us, y'all.. hehe

Elara

Elara is offline   Reply With Quote