Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Yea I`m at the monostary. If I just wipe out ALL the monks will every NPC in the game turn against me. Like they do when you kill someone in a town?

I was reading some of the spoilers/walkthroughs on Skullport.com,and they give 3 dif ways of gaining access to the underdark. In one or two,you wind up facing off against all the monks. Would it hurt to just cut to the chase,and wipe them out?

Would you miss out on any items,or special quests... that kinda thing. And if you wipe them all out... you can still get access to the underdark tunnels right?
Any one I should make sure and talk to for spells and such before I begin the slaughter?
Old 11-01-2002, 08:44 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Why kill them? Barad's gonna doublecross you anyway. Also, the monks aren't evil. Just do the eight chambers (at 2300 hundred xp per) and head on to the Udnerdark (expect company when you open the second door).

However, to answer your question, no, the other NPC's in the game won't come after you if you kill the monks.

Dunno about that walkthrough you read, but my understanding is that the only way to end up fighting the monks is to start the trouble yourself.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:02 PM   #3
Balhifet
The Magister

War is not the answer (well, war with the monks). All those blasted duergars are up to nothing but trouble. Just get the mining tools in one of the caves (with the shambling mound) and head out of there.

Nice poem....

------------------------------------------------------
"Aaaah.... the Child of Bhaal
has awoken....."
-Joneleth Irenicus
The Exile
Old 11-01-2002, 09:06 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Just a minor correction: the mining tools are in the Duergar outpost. The key to the outpost is in the caves. Since he's already at the monastery, he doesn't have to worry about that part any more.

Nightowl2
Old 11-01-2002, 10:05 PM   #5
Duncan Idaho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would agree about not wiping out the monks (unless you're playing a super-evil party and are serious about playing the role); what I did was wipe out the deep gnome outpost (ironic, since my monk was deep gnome; wonder what she thought about all that? hehe). It gives great experience and good items. Besides, monks are way cooler than deep gnomes (unless you have a deep gnome monk....hmmm). The best item I got from the fight was the Hell Bolter, which is what the engineer gnome wields. It's a crossbow with 3 attacks per turn. Great for wizards or sorcerers. Spends ammo like nothing else, though. Anyway, wiping that place out was fun (but only wipe it out after completely all their quests and getting the experience). Then do the 8 chambers in the monastary, which is another great experience boon, as mentioned in a previous post.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:02 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The Duergar in the outpost are evil Dwarfs, not deep gnomes. There is no love lost between the two groups, so I'm sure your deep gnome monk had a good time with the slaughter

The Hellbolter is a nice weapon. In HOF, it's a 4x weapon, and bolts melt away very fast, indeed.

Nightowl2
Old 11-02-2002, 01:31 AM   #7
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Well I do have an evil based party. But the only reason that I thought about wiping out the monks was for EXP.... figured it would be a way to boost it up some. Already wiped out the Duergar`s in the caves...

Just looking to get Max EXP by the end of the game,without actually turning the game against me.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:20 AM   #8
Duncan Idaho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That's good news, Nightowl, never liked those dirty dwarves anyway. HA! And Lord Corwin, if you're looking for max experience (and are playing evil anyway), then you might as well wipe out the duerger outpost and the monastary (but I recommend only after doing the eight chambers, easy experience there!). I've never taken up arms against the monks, but there are LOTS of them, and they probably give good experience. It may be a tough battle, but I've come to believe there are no impossible battles as long as you have tactics and a degree of logic. And the quick load button! .
Old 11-02-2002, 12:17 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, evil doesn't always mean mindless slaughter. If you really are going to do it, though, killing the Duergar first was a mistake. You could have gone back, got your reward from Barad, then wiped the outpost.

Nightowl2
Old 11-02-2002, 02:50 PM   #10
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Didn`t really have a choice Nightowl2.
I was in the outpost,and I tried to pick the lock on a chest/footlocker or something,in what looked like a barracks.
The Druegar/Dwarves all started attacking me. So I had to kill them all.

I may not kill all the monks.It was really just a thought. I hear everyone saying that you stop leveling at about 16-17 at the end of the game. Figured it might be a way to pick up an Exp point boost.

My party maybe of evil allignment,but I don`t really play it that way. I do the quests,don`t kick puppies,help old lady`s across the street..... LOL