Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #21
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

If a woman thinks she's good enough to play with men then by all means let her. She'll quit by her own decision quickly enough if it turns out she isn't skilled or tough enough to play at that level.

I'm really all for women playing with men as long as they play on the same level. Women's football is about as exciting as watching paint dry, so this is the only way I'd get to see some girls on the pitch.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #22
wellard
Dracolisk

But is this not restraint of trade? If a women was good enough to play (say for Liverpool) and earn $10,000 a week, but then fifa banned her and she had to play in a womens only league where she could only get a $100 a week, is that not unfair and a easy law case to win? I doubt that there is a court in Erope or North America that would not back her.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-20-2004, 05:16 PM   #23
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Strangely enough, while I am against women playing in mens golf tournaments (unless they are willing to use the mens tees like Annika did last year - you go girl), I am quite comfortable with them playing football.

In football they compete on an equal playing field - there are no special forwards tees or compensations for the (generally speaking) weaker sex. While I don't think there are many women that could compete well against the professional football player, and I would be very surprised to see any at anything close to elite level, I don't see why they should be discouraged or barred entry. Let them find the appropriate level at which they can compete and slot them in where they fit based on ability.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #24
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
But is this not restraint of trade? If a women was good enough to play (say for Liverpool) and earn $10,000 a week, but then fifa banned her and she had to play in a womens only league where she could only get a $100 a week, is that not unfair and a easy law case to win? I doubt that there is a court in Erope or North America that would not back her.
Dude, that would mean nothing else then destroying the sport. The public would stay home, i have no doubts about that. This has been brought up before here in the Netherlands, they wondered if women wouldn't be an asset for the game, and i can say "definitely not" to that. Some women's team that just won some kind of big championship played against a first division club here, and after 15 minutes the score was somewhat 5-0 or 6-0, i forgot. Just a reminder that even the best women on the planet aren't good enough to take on the lesser players in the men's world. Same happened with Serena Williams in tennis. On the height of her career, everyone thought that with her power she could probably compete in men's tournaments. Well, they gave her a shot, i believe against a player who had an ATP ranking above 200, and she got thrashed, didn't stand a chance, that's how big the difference is in some sports between men and women. So don't even go there, unless you wanna kill the sport of course.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 PM   #25
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Ahh..women in men's sport. How interesting. You know this reminds me while I was still schooling at secondary school. The school gathered a team of girls footballer ( for the coming girls football tournament ) and have a little match against us boys. Guess what? 3 minutes into the game the score is already 4 - 0 ( boys are leading of course ). Not long after that the girls start to shout foul because of unwanted hands start to fly in all direction. At one time the girl's team goalkeeper cried because my friend blast the ball right at her. Wanna know what's the final result is? there was none! the goalkeeper was so afraid of returning to her post ( after finish crying ) that the match has to be abandoned! heh! imagine that.

So you see, I strongly against women to play in a men's sport. Especially in football.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #26
wellard
Dracolisk

Well for my opinion there has to be a common sense rule that at least at an amateur level, men and women’s sport (not just football) should be separated with few exceptions.

However

When it comes to professional sports women should have every right to compete on an equal basis. By that I mean true equality not this rubbish like in golf where they change the tee distance and such. My opinion does seem to be in the minority but I really do wonder if the law is not on my side.

In 'real' life I doubt a lady would manage to play premier league football, but I'm quite sure that one day soon they could be of a standard to play second division. With of course the chance to play against Man utd in a cup match. I hope it happens in my lifetime

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 AM   #27
Thoran
Galvatron

Wellard your argument makes sense and I think definitely could have legal backing... but as stated earlier it's a double edged sword you're wielding and I think that's why people have been hesitant to push the issue.

If women started legally pushing to be able to compete in "men's" sports, they very well might win, but such a prescedent would SURELY spell the end of womens sports. For every woman like Annika who could make the cut on the PGA there are THOUSANDS of men who are not quite that good but more than good enough to destroy the LPGA as a venue for developing female talent. The success of the few would spell the failure of many as men took slot after slot on the women's tour.

As I said, the protection of seperate leagues goes both ways.

[ 12-21-2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 12-21-2004, 12:17 PM   #28
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Well for my opinion there has to be a common sense rule that at least at an amateur level, men and women’s sport (not just football) should be separated with few exceptions.

However

When it comes to professional sports women should have every right to compete on an equal basis. By that I mean true equality not this rubbish like in golf where they change the tee distance and such. My opinion does seem to be in the minority but I really do wonder if the law is not on my side.

In 'real' life I doubt a lady would manage to play premier league football, but I'm quite sure that one day soon they could be of a standard to play second division. With of course the chance to play against Man utd in a cup match. I hope it happens in my lifetime
Oh yeah, i can hear the Red Army's chants already, man...will they have a ball that time.

You forget that football is a typical macho world. I remember how guys with long hair got treated by the fans. Imagine 50.000 fans who all make girlie sounds whenever the guy in question is in possession of the ball. And god forbid a gay player ever comes out of the closet, his life will be over. There won't be a stadium on this planet where he won't be ridiculed all night long.

I stick with my earlier statement, women have no place in the world called football, not now and not ever. I remember they let a woman act as a linesman here the other day, god knows why but they gave it a shot. Well, i think she cried for a week when the match was over, and not just because of reactions that came out of the crowd, but from the players as well.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #29
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

In the English league, things get fairly rough and tempers fly, there is fighting, etc, and a man would just not be able to play properly knowing its a women on the recieving end of a Vinnie Jones diving headbutt. (just kiddin).
Not that I know football (soccer) or who Vinnie Jones is, But the above is true. AND what would happen to the teammates who watched Vinnie just wreck the hot new chick on the team, They would go overboard and break his legs. Its not that they can't necessarily compete (which a select few might be able to) its that when we guys see some guy squash a chick (even in a legal move) we will go crush [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fighting.gif[/img] that guy. The ref's will be throwing red cards left and right (ok, I do know a little about soccer)

SilentThief
Old 12-24-2004, 12:24 AM   #30
Xan the Enchanter
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Saying what has already been said:

Speaking as a woman (that's right. . .) I think. . .

Well. If she REALLY wants to, sure. . .But FIFA should not be held responsible for any injuries she may have.

I think that as a philosophy women should be able to do anything men do. But realistically?. . .Come on. Football has alot to do with strength in the upper body. That is just not our thing. We are more leg people, ya know?