Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
Nightcloak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As I sit here and think of things, and yes, I think of many things; I sometimes like to think of the very benign and weird. I'm one of those individuals who like the eccentricity of many intellectuals such as Edgar Allen Poe.

Out of sheer boredom, and the fact that I have no friends (que to laugh), i've always wondered about people who are more logically oriented than others. I think I would have to say my self, that most logically oriented people (i.e. mathematics, physics, or another heavily mathematically based science) have somewhat of a pessimistic view in terms of what happens in the world. Event A happens, Result B, and so forth. This is not to say that the past mathematicians in the world didn't have creativity in seeing past the confines of what they've already produced.

So now into a vauge question that is somewhat a paradox of sorts. Would it be probable that, using logical and defined laws and rules, can produce in effect, the opposite ideas that we deem impossible and/or improbable? But, then I wonder - isn't this how we have advanced in technology and knowledge? Through our uttermost creativity and attempts to expand, we somehow discover that which we figured was not likely. Sometimes, as I learn new material - I just want to push it aside for a few minutes, trying to piece together what I already have, to come and formalize or figure out what it is, that I will have to learn next. In some cases, I envy those in the past that with sheer brilliance and creativity and of course logic were able to see something that no other person at the time did.

I suppose this is just a dumb philosophical question, but at the time and moment, it seemed pretty interesting to me. Then again, I find very strange things interesting...
Old 12-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

What's impossible? Something that goes beyond your ability to understand things, or even beyond what we think we know now (like with sciences)? I think a lot you think that might be impossible could be possible only it has a really small chance of happening.

Guess I'll be back later since I've got to go to bed. Good night!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

a+b=c /*(a+b)
a*a+2a*b+b*b=a*c+b*c
a*a+a*b-a*c=-a*b-b*b+b*c
a(a+b-c)=-b(a+b-c)
a=-b
So yes, it is called a paradox, and it is completely possible to obtain an illogical conclusion from a set of completely logical steps.