Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2001, 06:37 AM   #11
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
This my response to a post on the "Either your with us or your with the terrorists" I want a broader audience and more perspectives on choosing peace or choosing violence in light of the recent world tragedy that occured in the United States. So Ive decide to post it here, instead of on that thread.

I am an American and a pacifist. I have endured several violent attacks from bigots and skinheads, one of which nearly ended my life. I expirienced deep anger, shame, self-loathing, and anxiety for some time. I understand what people here in America are going through, only we are expiriencing it on a collective scale. During my times of pain and fear, I held firm to my belief that responding to evil with evil, violence with violence perpetuates a cycle that has plaqued humanity for our entire history. So when my so called leader (I voted for the enviromental guy) declared an ultimatum to punish the nations who harbor terrorists with military force, I knew that if this happens, No real justice would be found. Only more death, more violence, more children without fathers, mothers without sons. We in america have been wounded, the deepest hurt we have felt since perhaps our own civil war. In our weakness and hurt, we respond with pride and nationalism to mask our anxiety, and in fear we seek to cause terror in those who have sown it in our own land. But all we have made quiver in TERROR are the thousands of WOMEN and CHILDREN, refugees that are clogging camps all along the borders of afganistan, running from the FEAR of cluster bombs and cruise missles. Fear and pain we are feeling here is causing prejudice toward Arab people and muslims in America. One has already died at the hands of an American who didnt even know he was hurt and afraid. Others have lost property, been spat upon, and chased by mobs and all of them were born in America, or have taken the oath of citizenship. So I stand by My country and the ideals of freedom it was founded upon, but I deny my leaders call for revenge or retaliation, via war, mass destrustion,violence. I will not lose my compassion in the face of fear, loss, and pain. An eye for an eye would make us all blind, Who shall follow a blind man on a path of revenge?

Our security and peace of mind is gone. My own Mother tells me she doesnt feel safe any more and that she fears for the safety of her children and grandchildren. Rumors are abound, that tomorrow the Boston area will have a terrorist attack. The newsmedia is downplaying it, yet announcing it as a rumor. How should I feel? scared, indifferent, certainly not invunerable, I dont know. I do know I will go to work in a very busy public place. Everyday, for a few minutes, I dedicate my own thoughts and prayers to peace for the world. I have done this for years, this all I can do now as well. And if I die tomorrow as an American and a World citizen, I will have lived in peace, so as I shall rest.

Amen to that

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 07:14 AM   #12
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

know what i think??
the US has been humiliated by the actions of terrorism. the people want a QUICK way for retaliation... therefore the use of Force is the ONLY option <--- (for the quickest way only and none other unless there is a miracle)

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 09-23-2001, 07:56 AM   #13
skywalker
Banned User

You must also realize that terrorism can also be considered the reporting of a possible threat by terrorist groups. It is also the rumors that are flying, about the next possible targets.

The attacks made on September 11 were violent, destructive, premeditated acts. The terror is what has happened afterwards. The terror continues in the hearts and minds of all who are victims. Terrorists do not necessarily want to physically destroy all of America, they wish to break our spirit. Raining death and destruction on these enemies is not the only way to stop it (and I doubt it can). We need to break out of this cycle of fear and anger to combat this. The best way is to show we are strong by not fearing. To beef up security, but not give up our freedoms. To not attack innocent Americans who have Ibn in there names, people who love Islam.

If we give up "any" freedom, if we prosecute innocent individuals, if we kill countless innocent people oversees, they will continue to win and grow make no mistake.

The best we can to is be ready ,awareand stop the next attacks, stay strong and proud, and stop making up patriotic names for the next attacks we make on foriegn soil.

This what I think, right or wrong. Thank you G'kar, for this thread and your excellent first post. You have my utmost respect!

Mark
Old 09-23-2001, 12:07 PM   #14
tracey
Manshoon

G'kar - i was touched by your post and fully agree with the sentiments expressed. you are right. the chritian view ought to follow the principles of christ, a man who objected loudly on occasion but never ever harmed a soul.

just to make a brief point - cornelius was jewish. he was converted to christianity in acts but no mention of his career was included, possibly because the emphasis of the scripture was to do with race and god's love of all nations.

Old 09-23-2001, 12:22 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I'd prefer if this conflict could be settled peacefully, but the Taliban government of Afghanistan has refused to hand over Bin Laden which would have ended the conflict peacefully and when Bin Laden and his terrorists get attacked it will not be revenge, it will be Justice, it will be punishment for all the lives he has ruined and all the people he has killed, and it will be to protect others from ever being hurt by him again, it saddens me that it must come to violence, but at the moment, no other solution presents itself and in this case, a violent solution is better than no solution.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy

General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department and Jumprope Compound in the IW Peacekeeping Force.

I've also got a pretty long sig.
Old 09-23-2001, 08:28 PM   #16
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

G'kar and Skywalker, excellent posts! I agree totally.

Count yourselves as members of the Clan of the Illuminati, the resident illuminated mutual admiration society

It will be interesting to see how many innocent people the US ends up killing in this "War", whether it is more or less than that of the Terrorists.
Old 09-23-2001, 08:30 PM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
know what i think??
the US has been humiliated by the actions of terrorism. the people want a QUICK way for retaliation... therefore the use of Force is the ONLY option <--- (for the quickest way only and none other unless there is a miracle)

Nah. Fear of it happening again is a driving force. Ironically most New Yorkers seem the least vocal in war cry. They cry for peace is strong here, even though there is apprehension about the place being a prime target if worse happens.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-23-2001, 08:38 PM   #18
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
You must also realize that terrorism can also be considered the reporting of a possible threat by terrorist groups. It is also the rumors that are flying, about the next possible targets.

The attacks made on September 11 were violent, destructive, premeditated acts. The terror is what has happened afterwards. The terror continues in the hearts and minds of all who are victims. Terrorists do not necessarily want to physically destroy all of America, they wish to break our spirit. Raining death and destruction on these enemies is not the only way to stop it (and I doubt it can). We need to break out of this cycle of fear and anger to combat this. The best way is to show we are strong by not fearing. To beef up security, but not give up our freedoms. To not attack innocent Americans who have Ibn in there names, people who love Islam.

If we give up "any" freedom, if we prosecute innocent individuals, if we kill countless innocent people oversees, they will continue to win and grow make no mistake.

The best we can to is be ready ,awareand stop the next attacks, stay strong and proud, and stop making up patriotic names for the next attacks we make on foriegn soil.

This what I think, right or wrong. Thank you G'kar, for this thread and your excellent first post. You have my utmost respect!

Mark
And respect back to you, Mark. You speak rightly, and I drink deeply of your words

Old 09-23-2001, 10:41 PM   #19
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
G'kar - i was touched by your post and fully agree with the sentiments expressed. you are right. the chritian view ought to follow the principles of christ, a man who objected loudly on occasion but never ever harmed a soul.

just to make a brief point - cornelius was jewish. he was converted to christianity in acts but no mention of his career was included, possibly because the emphasis of the scripture was to do with race and god's love of all nations.

Tracey read it again Cornelius was not Jewish he was a Gentile and a Centurian.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-23-2001, 10:44 PM   #20
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

If peace wasnt around....... I would have to fight the "white/blue vs. black deck magic card war!"

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!