Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2003, 08:04 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Rangel calls for resuming military draft
By Associated Press, 12/31/2002 02:51
NEW YORK (AP) Rep. Charles Rangel says he plans to introduce legislation to resume the military draft in the event of a war against Iraq.

In an opinion piece published in Tuesday's editions of The New York Times, Rangel, D-N.Y., said he would ask Congress next week to support his proposal.

Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War, said be believed Congress would be less likely to support war if a draft were instituted.

''I believe that if those calling for war knew their children were more likely to be required to serve and to be placed in harm's way there would be more caution and a greater willingness to work with the international community in dealing with Iraq,'' Rangel wrote.

He said military service should be a ''shared sacrifice'' asked of all able young Americans and that minorities make up a ''disproportionate number'' of enlisted troops.

''Service in our nation's armed forces is no longer a common experience,'' said Rangel, who voted against the Congressional resolution authorizing President Bush to use force against Iraq.

Rangel said his legislation would require ''alternative national service'' for people who are physically unable to serve and for those who refuse to serve for ''reasons of conscience.''

President Bush has said he doesn't intend to revive the draft, which ended in 1973.

From: http://www.boston.com/dailynews/365/...ng_mili:.shtml

Very interesting idea, but I doubt that it will get anywhere. I think it's a good idea because I think that the youth of America are losing direction.

I regret not "joining up" when I was young.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
MagiK

Hey, we have a bit of common ground here Mark...while Im not sure I am for a renewel of the draft unless there is an emergency need, I have always thought that every Male Highschool graduate should have to do a mandatory Military boot camp of at leas 8 weeks and preferably 12 weeks.

Yeah I am a sexist, I am also a dad, I hope for my son to go into the Military for at least one stint, but don't really want my daughter to. I want my son to be willing to obey a draft notice, and do not want my daughter to be subject to one.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I saw more on this over the past few days. Bush says he won't do it, and the Pentagon says it's unnecessary.

The Senator wants the draft because he thinks an unfair burden is being placed on minorities. While African-Americans make up 12% of the US population, they are the majority of the 35% of minorities that make up the US armed services. He feels that is unfair, so he wants to re-instate the draft.

Not because a draft is needed but to draft more Caucasian American's because there were too many African-Americans serving.

I guess he just wants to draft Caucasian Americans until it evens out? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

I wonder how he'd feel if someone proposed refusing all African-Americans from military service after the armed services reached 12%.

The whole idea is nothing more than an attempt to grab headlines.

[ 01-06-2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I saw more on this over the past few days. Bush says he won't do it, and the Pentagon says it's unnecessary.

The Senator wants the draft because he thinks an unfair burden is being placed on minorities. While African-Americans make up 12% of the US population, they are the majority of the 35% of minorities that make up the US armed services. He feels that is unfair, so he wants to re-instate the draft.

Not because a draft is needed but to draft more Caucasian American's because there were too many African-Americans serving.

I guess he just wants to draft Caucasian Americans until it evens out? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

I wonder how he'd feel if someone proposed refusing all African-Americans from military service after the armed services reached 12%.

The whole idea is nothing more than an attempt to grab headlines.
I suppose it doesnt matter to the senator that the 12% of the minorities that make up the armed forces are there through their own volition...it IS an all volunteer force.....
Old 01-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

not only that but (as in my case) it's a great way to get the government to fund an education and have good job stability for essentially as long as you want it. (ie a non-welfare way of getting people off the streets and educated, with experience.)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:50 AM   #6
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
not only that but (as in my case) it's a great way to get the government to fund an education and have good job stability for essentially as long as you want it. (ie a non-welfare way of getting people off the streets and educated, with experience.)

And as long as yourpresident isn't trying to divert attention from blue dresses, or trying to use the military as a police force where it has no business being....it is a fairly safe job.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:55 PM   #7
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

IMHO, the Senator is one of those Democrats who is upset that there is virtually no peace movement, and a return of the draft might cause enough upheaval on college campuses to damage the President. [img]tongue.gif[/img] to him. It's not gonna happen.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
IMHO, the Senator is one of those Democrats who is upset that there is virtually no peace movement, and a return of the draft might cause enough upheaval on college campuses to damage the President. [img]tongue.gif[/img] to him. It's not gonna happen.
Would be good for them college age sissyboys to get some discipline! Haaaarumph!