Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-10-2001, 06:33 AM   #1
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

[greetings, all...]

(Couldn't find this topic in the search)
...So, anyway, I've asked Edwin to try on the Boots of Speed, but he doesn't go any faster than usual. [Edwin gives nasty sneering "why do I listen to this stupid bard's suggestions" look in my direction.] Everyone else in the party gets the desired effect.
I tried removing, in turn, all of Edwin's magickal accoutrements (Robe of Vecna, Staff of The Magi, cloaks, etc.) but still he moves at regular speed... Does it have something to do with his standard equipment (eg, his amulet)? I know mages CAN use it because Elmonster the solo mage (see Baldurdash site) was using them all the time...
I thought maybe if the game allowed Edwin to use it would make him even more insanely powerful than he already is with his amulet, S of Magi, Vecna robe, and Ring of Wizardry. Hell he might as well break from my party and solo.
Thanks for any info -

Old 09-10-2001, 06:58 AM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

Any party member will benefit from the boots of speed. Mages however, will not recieve the extra 1/2 attack per round and will not have their casting time reduced. They will only benefit from the increased movement rate.

Rounds to me like your Edwin may be wearing the ring of free action. If not then I'm not sure why he isn't becoming faster.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

...Ok, good to keep that in mind about casting and attacks... But I was mostly interested in using the Boots of Speed to keep Edwin away from anything that was chasing him, plus it's faster when he scouts - I like to have him scouting because if he does something to break his invisibility, he can instantly become invis again with the Staff.

BTW in my party Mr. Odesseiron does NOT have the Ring Of Free Action... he has Robe of Vecna, Ring of Wizardry, his family Amulet, Staff of Magi, and +2 Cloak of Protection. Wonder what's up? Don't tell me NO one has ever tried the Boots on Edwin...

[oh christ, 0430 - gotta sleep now --DAMN if this game isn't going to ruin my life]
Old 09-10-2001, 09:27 AM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I use the boots of speed all the time on Edwin and He does move alot faster. Of coarse he does not get to cast magic any faster and as far as getting the extra half attack it is no big deal he would be killed way to fast in hand to hand. Are you saying the boots do not work for you????
Old 09-10-2001, 09:31 AM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Is there anymore boots of speed? I have only 1. Where I can find
Old 09-10-2001, 09:37 AM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Is there anymore boots of speed? I have only 1. Where I can find
Spoilers
1)Planar Prision (Haer'Dalis Quest)
2)Milrith Token Machine, Aslyum Prision
3)Issasera, first encounter TOB
4)Innkeeper, Saradush Tavern, TOB
5)Arcana Archives, Saradush/Amkethran
6)Grandmasters Armour (from Gromnir II Khan's Group encounter, TOB) increases movement rate as boots of speed
Old 09-10-2001, 11:47 AM   #7
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

--That's correct, Edwin does NOT go faster with the Boots of Speed in my party. If it works for your party, then I guess I might be bugged but I haven't noticed anything else wrong... Hmm-- wait a minute...

Hmmm... I'LL BE DAMNED - I have a second game in progress (evil characters so's to get to know Viconia ), and though I haven't reached a point where I acquire the Boots of Speed yet, I spawned a pair... Gave 'em to Edwin ("here, try THESE - untainted by halfling feet, yer bloody majesty...") - AND THEY DO WORK!

Hell, something must be up with that first game - I spawned a new pair in THAT game and they do NOT work, just like before. I wonder if there's a way to ShadowKeep that game - mess with some GlobalVariable or something to clean that up? GlobalVariables are a little over my head though - not too familiar with Infinity...

Well, no biggie, got to Chapter 5 fine without them. Weird, though. Thanx for the feedback. (*Weird*...)

Old 09-10-2001, 11:20 PM   #8
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

hmmm... might be a bug with a spell or item edwin was hit with. has he ever been held, entangled, or otherwise immobilized? ive heard there was an item that instead of giving an effect for the duration it made it permanent, so perhaps when he was "freed" the non-restricted movement became permanent.

try looking at his affects in shadowkeeper. affects are things like innate abilities, current spell effects (like prot. from evil), and personal variables (like romance dialogs). if edwin isnt under any spell or item influence (his amulet gives 2 extra spells and wont be listed here), he should only have affects relating to his gender and quest. if you find a variable that is not one of these, try removing that affect and see if the boots work.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:23 AM   #9
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I tried them with Edwin.. worked fine for me.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:07 AM   #10
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

Thanks very much - I'll take a look...

...OK...

...No... don't seem to see any variable that I can't account for - all appear to be quest-related, active-spell-related (eg stoneskin) and personal-item-related... Staff of Magi had 11 variables; deleted them all and still no Speed... funny that there doesn't seem to be a variable for wearing Boots and other things, yet Magi Staff is indicated (?)...

As to whether he was hit by a bad spell affecting movement, I honestly can't remember - I know ALL members of my party have been amateurish enough to be hit by some type of Hold at one time or another.

I don't suppose you or anyone else would know any specifics regarding the item you mentioned that might have caused a permanent movement handicap? Or maybe it was a creature that did it... I may have used the Rod of Resurrection on him once - a couple of charges were used, that's for sure - I think I brought him back from the dead once during the Unseeing Eye quest... Hope that wasn't it - if it was, then in the next game I'm reloading until everyone comes through a battle alive.

...'d be interesting to know what the reason was, but as it is I'm treating it as one of Edwin's personal disadvantages, sort of balancing out his raging-maging abilities.

I did see something in ShadowKeeper I didn't quite understand, though -
SPOILER --- SPOILER --- SPOILER ---

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X -- I've been all the way through Edwin's quest with the *scroll*... I looked at HIS stats in ShadowKeeper and they indicate he is a FEMALE human, lawful evil... Which is not what his Records page in the game says... I changed that too, but it didn't affect his Boots of Speed problem.