Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-21-2001, 10:52 PM   #1
Halloween Mage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey Everybody, I was wondering if people could say what some of their mage spell tactics are when they go into battle. Y'know like maybe the 3 spells they use with spell trigger, or something like that. Just curious, trying to get better ideas. Thanks.

------------------
Purely and Simply..Evil
-Dr. Loomis-
"Halloween"
Old 06-21-2001, 11:10 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

HW
I too would like some tips on how to use my spell casters better, and suggestions on which spells rock, and which ones pebble (groan!).
BTW welcome to the forum!

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 06-21-2001, 11:18 PM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

HW
Refer to this this thread for an interesting discussion on your topic.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 06-21-2001, 11:18 PM   #4
Halloween Mage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks. Currently one of my mage characters is a Conjurer and I'm trying to figure out the best ones for him. Of course I use my regular mage character too so i need advice on that. I'm finally realizing I'm not that great of a BG2 player after all..at least for mages...heartbroken.....I'll stop with the dots now....=(

------------------
"I do believe i might have to practice a few enchantment spells on that one..."
-Cowled Wizard-
Old 06-22-2001, 01:37 AM   #5
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I believe spell trigger is more there for defense (i.e. STONESKIN, blur, invisibility, & MAGIC MIRROR)

Offensivly:

stay out of site and caste area spells (i.e. fireball, cloudkill, ect.)
if your up against a monster that will come after you then use (1st) web from 2 diff. mages with slightly offset targets (where you point for the center of web) to get better coverage - then use your offensive spells
Old 06-22-2001, 01:47 AM   #6
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well, Here is what I do with my mage..

I always have a contingency spell on, stone skin that takes effect if i get below 50%hp. you won't believe how much this keeps your mage alive when suddenly everyone jumps on him.
I also have 2 spell sequencers.. my minor sequencer has 2 magic missile spells on it, my greater sequencer has 3 magic missile spells on it. (all my 1st level spells). This is great for tough foes.
I use melfs acid arrow in normal fighting, i spread them out on foes. casing at one foe, then next round at another so that way the acid works. Against strong foes I whip out the sequenced magic missiles. 3 magic missiles will take out someone VERY fast, thats 15 missiles hitting. 30-75 damage for a greater sequencer. OUCH! most of the time takes out a mage easy (1 second casting)
Of course summoned monsters. When you get up to Mordainkens sword, that is an INCREDIBLE summoned weapon.
If you get 8th level spells, a spell trigger is amazing. If casts 3 spells of 6th level or below. What I do is learn 3 sunfire spells in the spell trigger. Go invisible, go into the center of a group of hard foes, then set off the trigger with my lone character. OUCH! It hurts ALOT! 15th level mage will do 15-90 damage each spell, or total of 45-270 damage if a creature fails their save, 22-185 damage if they save. Not alot gets out of this blast.