Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 09:11 AM   #11
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Geesh - have you guys never heard that it is bad form to nest quotes. In fact it is lower than Douglas Jardine's concern for the spirit of the game. YES - really really as low as that .
Your bowlers should stick to the Crown Green variety!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 AM   #12
Skippy1
Elminster

Last I heard, that is yet another sport we beat you in regularly!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
I have given up counting all those Skip - just too many to keep track of . I think the whole point of this thread was to point out that the English are better losers than the example given by our Mr Hahn. Well so they should be - thay have had more practice at it over the years.

Hats off to the Donut Brothers - your boys really now a lot about coming in 2nd and they do it in style.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:47 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
In which case I believe you are talking balls!

Do you even play the sport in Australia?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-21-2004, 06:08 AM   #15
Skippy1
Elminster

Here you go Donut.

http://www.rnswba.org.au/history/bowls.asp

Unlike here though, this is a sport we play in our retirement years.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #16
wellard
Dracolisk

Is there some one out there who will bet me that Britain will win more gold in Greece this year than Australia? To be fair the poms can have a 3-1 population advantage

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Here you go Donut.

http://www.rnswba.org.au/history/bowls.asp

Unlike here though, this is a sport we play in our retirement years.
Ho! Ho! Saw the target, offered the bait and reeled him in!

That's Lawn Bowls, as different from Crown Green Bowls as Union is to League!

The clue is in the words "Crown" and "Green". The green isn't flat as in Lawn Bowls but has a "crown" in the middle.

And we are the World Champions!

Old 04-21-2004, 07:27 AM   #18
Skippy1
Elminster

Sounds a bit like the American World Series.

(By the way, before any of our American cousins get carried away, I know about the Newspaper.) [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

As for your fishing expedition my English cousin, you started reeling in a little prematurely.(a word synonymous with the male of the English species I've heard)

It's plain to see where LAWN bowls has it's origins. It is yet another example of a game your ancestors invented, and us Aussie mongrels perfected. [img]graemlins/finger.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 08:55 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Applause for Stuart MacGill, Australian cricketeer who has refused to tour Zimbabwe with Australia citing "moral reasons". If only there were more like him.

It now looks as if England will tour Zimbabwe. Initially they decided against the tour but the threat by the ICC (disgracefully encouraged by Cricket Australia) of monstrous fines and expulsion from Test cricket has caused an about turn.

Shame on them all.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:04 AM   #20
Donut
Jack Burton

Meanwhile further attempts are being made to get Ian Thorpe a place in the olympic 400m freestyle. I'm no expert, but surely the guy who finished 3rd in the race should be offered a place before someone with absolutely no sense of balance? Seems only fair to me.

I understand that the guy who finished 2nd is considering withdrawing in the hope that he can sign an exclusive TV deal. Not in the true spirit of Olympic sport really.