Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-18-2000, 12:01 AM   #21
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Wyv-- single character, as you are "Alone in the Dark." A creepy mansion, with only your wits to survive the horrific beasties! An interesting mix of action and adventure.

System Shock 2.. I don't know how it will be on the dreamcast, but it is amazing on the PC.. without a doubt, in my 15 years of gaming, the best, bar none, interface I have ever seen in a game. Quick, fluid, responsive, accessible, clear, informative. Everything the layer that separates you from your character should be; nearly translucent, providing you with psychological access to your character, to his nearly unbearable likeness of being, to the fluidity of motion. To make you feel that there is no interface; that you are in the game. To make you tremble. To make you fear the darkness. Play this one with the volume up, at night, the lights off. When you see your first rumbler, you may very well pee directly into your pants. I know I did!
freudianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 06:10 AM   #22
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Squee! I have one of those (wizard's daggers) but never bothered to equip it since he's busy throwing spells all the time! Well, well, I'm going out to give that a try!

slip - okay, the System Shock 2 interface is terrific, but what is the game about?? where is it set? (probably not in the sewers of Venice) I've played and enjoyed some future games - Wasteland, Fallout, Starflght, and others. Is this a future setting??

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 09:21 AM   #23
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Just a wee bit in the future.. it takes place aboard two spaceships. While I usually go for the "fantasy" setting, SS2 does such an amazing job with versimilitude that I couldn't help but be sucked in. The best part of the game? Hmm.. that's a tough one. The audio logs are what locked it in for me. A lot of it has a distinctly scientific bent... the logs have the best voice acting in any game I've ever heard. Only a very few made me wince, and some made me shudder.. such as the autopsy logs. Whew!
Old 11-18-2000, 05:02 PM   #24
Squee!

wyv - the wizards dagger is a TOP weapon - definitely use it when your magic user is low on mana, or you when you want to save mana when up against lesser creatures
20+ damage is not uncommon plus it makes em fall asleep! bless the weapon to hit and youve got yourself a real dangerous warlock!

about system shock 2 - im sure thats going to be awesome on the dreamcast gaming platform
and what can i say? its in the top 10 best games of all time!

now im off to find some crabs so i can nick all their shells

till later!
Old 11-18-2000, 05:13 PM   #25
Thala

That's one thing I cannot understand. I have all the graphics on their highest settings, and STILL everything looks like it came out of some 10 year old DOS game. Kinda sad.
Old 11-18-2000, 07:49 PM   #26
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thala, how odd! Doesn't look that way on my machine.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 08:40 PM   #27
paul

Many of your wishes are : we want this game are like Might and Magic VII, when after many pervious M&M the last one become full with feature to make the game more enjoyable to play, such town portal, not so many restristion to advance the character and of course ability to SAVE and LOAD EVERYWHERE !!!, and an autosave !. This what I expected from this game it's said that the creator is the one who create Wizardy series ????!!!!
Old 11-18-2000, 08:49 PM   #28
Cartesian

Yeah, SS2 is a good game, but an even better one is System Shock (One). It's got better voice acting, more moody/scary levels, better plot, better (and more fun) weapons, scarier enemies etc etc etc. The only 'thing' SS2 does better is the graphics engine. I've played SS2 thru twice and SS thru 8 times. You should be able to find it for about ~$10 US. If it's still around. Ooh ooh, the cyber upgrades and puzzles in SS are "infinitely" better. Not kidding.
-Cartesian.
Old 11-18-2000, 11:43 PM   #29
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

I've been trying to get SS1, but unsuccessfully. However, I found a great site that has hundreds of old games for a free download! (including System Shock 1).. If you're searching for that old (5+ year) game, you will probably find it at:
The Underdog
Old 01-01-2001, 04:10 PM   #30
Lily the Ranger

Reviving this for Efreeti's perusal!