Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2002, 10:52 AM   #91
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

WOW , seems to be gang up on Dram day here at the forums. Someone says "prove it" and everyone gets their shorts in a bunch. *WOW* what a suprise! Someone shows an opposing view point and gets jumped on. Seems like cyberspace immitates life where if you dont believe in Christ them you must obviously be wrong. Where if you dont belive in Christian doctrine you will be beat over the head with it till you do.People who do things like that make me glad to not be a christian. I got the following quote from here--> http://www.thinkingfreely.com/101D.htm It sounds a lot like what has gone on in EVERY thread about religeon that has gone on in the forums for as long as I have been on them. To bring it back on topic , useing the choices given I am closest to an Athiest.Thank God for that.

Quote:
Someone once explained good and evil to me in this context: People are inherently evil. Only through salvation will they escape their fate of being evil. The greater the good in a man's heart, the larger evil in his thoughts.

Christianity, in its simplest form can be described as a philosophy which precludes completely any redemption for any member of any other religion. The bible is full of tales of battles fought and won and aggression validated or instigated by its god. Whole scale destruction of people who either do not believe, or believe in the wrong god are common in tales of the bible.

Christianity, in its simplest form insures its constituents that they need not fear what they do in this life in exchange for the promise of a afterlife. Conversely, non-believers, or those who believe wrongly, are doomed regardless of what they might do, or not do.

It is as simple as that.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:04 AM   #92
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Unfortunately this thread has degenerated into argumentative drivel yet again - and I'm noticing the same kind of people involved each time. Arguing about Santa Claus's existence etc., with all the big words! It's amazing that you can all compose lines and lines and LINES of pretty prose about nothing, to either make someone look stupid, or to provoke someone else into a reaction. Either some of you have a) too much time on your hands; b) are bored with nothing to do on a weekend or c) you like arguing for the sake of it.

Get this into your heads as it is starting to get REALLY annoying for moderators to have to come and mediate disputes because some of you feel incapable of displaying the maturity to accept that someone else has a point of view. We are moderators, not mediators - I don't care which side is right or wrong, but when people start using forensic debating (breaking a person's post down line by line and replying to each line out of context) or pulling out obscure points to justify another obscure point that is the time to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

I am closing this thread, since the last couple of pages are just points being rehashed over and over again. If I get called a dictator for doing so, so be it - i am happy to reply to any queries on PM or email.

Let me close with something I haven't had to post since the Sept 11 incidents:

IRONWORKS MANTRAS

• I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. This is the cornerstone around which the concept of freedom of speech is built, as long as it is done with respect for others.
  • Debating at Ironworks is not about winning or losing, rather it's about expressing a point of view and listening to another person expressing theirs. There is no shame in agreeing to disagree when the argument starts to go nowhere.
  • Don't take things personally. Life's too short to get upset about another person's point of view.
  • If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then don't get into a debate - you will not enjoy it and it will cause us problems.
  • A controversial viewpoint expressed politely, tactfully and respectfully will have a better chance of being accepted than a mainstream viewpoint expressed rudely and disrespectfully.
  • Remember that two of the most difficult things to do on the internet are: 1) admit that you can't change the other person's point of view; and 2) accept that failing to change the other person's point of view does NOT mean they are better than you.

Please consider this. [img]smile.gif[/img]