Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-21-2004, 03:45 AM   #1
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I'm asking for one of these for Christmas, so what do you recommend?

So far I've looked at the iPod, and the Creative Labs' Zen Touch and Jukebox.

The Jukebox is currently winning, although I'm still not sure. For an extra 10 USD I could get 25 GB less storage space, and a much nicer look. But then I will probably never use more than 5 GB anyway... I currently only have 2.1 GB of songs, and some of them I wouldn't want to copy across anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And also, having an MP3 player with mroe hard drive space than my PC might make my PC jealous

Oh, the indecision is gnawing at my insides. And its brilliant
Old 11-21-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I got an iPod 40 GB last week. All I have been doing is ripping songs from my cds and organizing my music library. I am not complaining though. What I like about it is that it's also a portable HD. So there.

If you are just looking for a music player I don't know what to say to you, because I am pretty biased with the iPod. I am storing my files here as backup and other things. Oh and Zen is a good choice.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:37 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Just read somewhere that next years mobile phones are all going to be mp3 players so whatever you get now may be old hat in a years time. So dont bother paying for fashion IMO just pay for how well it works.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i-river go for i-river .

i dont know if you know this callum, but the battery of an ipod last only around 2 years which is not replacable as well. . just want to warn you about that.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-21-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Irongrinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
i-river go for i-river .

i dont know if you know this callum, but the battery of an ipod last only around 2 years which is not replacable as well. . just want to warn you about that.
Oh, they fail to mention that in every commercial for it. Good to know as I was thinking of getting one myself.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Harkoliar... the iPod site is littered with small print about the product, but it doesn't say that the battery is irreplaceable... Might have saved me quite a bit there

And where can i find out about i-river?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Are you only looking at hard-disk-based players? I've got a solid state memory-based player, ok it's only half a gig, but it's much smaller and more stylish and lighter and runs off 1 AAA battery - so you can carry as many spares with you as you like. Oh and last time I checked, the cheapest HD-based player was around $100 more than almost the top of the range memory-based one.

[ 11-21-2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-21-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Oh no... I have no limitations... other than money...

But the memory needs to be at least 1GB, preferably 2...
Old 11-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Here's the player I've got:

http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/tmate_premium.html

And it's now available in 1GB capacity for only Ł114 (english pounds)! Damn! When I bought my 512MB version about a year ago THAT was Ł180! Agh! Oh well, I've got a year's use out of it...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #10
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
i-river go for i-river .

HEEEEY!!! That is NOT true. They will replace it for you.

Not to mention also that they 4th gen iPods have better, longer battery life also. And two years is not bad either.

If you are just looking for 2-3 GB, yeah don't get an iPod. I had other things in mind Like I said with the first post, I was planning on using my iPod for something too. So there. If you are all music, Vask has a good recommendation [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]