Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL oh he was having a grand ol' time in my back yard with the leaf bag apparently! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Its a shame though, the owner just got him, and doesn't want him anymore. She adopted him from the net, and drove 7 hours to get him. He is eating her house up though, especially plastic bowls LOL. And her glasses too, he's not picky methinks. He's just wild, but so sweet though, not aggressive in the least towards humans, just inanimate objects apparently LOL. Which is everything in a person's house LOL. I hope she can find a way to calm him down, and keep him. She was asking ME if I wanted him, so obviously is in a frame of mind right now to where she just wants to not have him anymore. I just hope she doesn't take him to the pound.

I wish I had advice I could give her as to how to train the dog to not chew stuff up in her house. She now is keeping him in a cage during the day when she works, and she works until 8:00pm, long time, and it's dark when she gets home. Now she has to let him in her back yard leashed, as he can jump her short fence. He just mostly barks while outside leashed. Nothing else for him to do I reckon being leashed.

It's just a shame, and I'm kinda pissed that I even know about all of this, because if the dog hadn't come into my yard for two nights, I'd never even know anything.

Ah well..

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe a vet or a obedience trainer could give advice on how to teach him not to chew on things. It sounds like he's a nice dog but has a lot of excess energy!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #13
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
LOL oh he was having a grand ol' time in my back yard with the leaf bag apparently! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Its a shame though, the owner just got him, and doesn't want him anymore. She adopted him from the net, and drove 7 hours to get him. He is eating her house up though, especially plastic bowls LOL. And her glasses too, he's not picky methinks. He's just wild, but so sweet though, not aggressive in the least towards humans, just inanimate objects apparently LOL. Which is everything in a person's house LOL. I hope she can find a way to calm him down, and keep him. She was asking ME if I wanted him, so obviously is in a frame of mind right now to where she just wants to not have him anymore. I just hope she doesn't take him to the pound.

I wish I had advice I could give her as to how to train the dog to not chew stuff up in her house. She now is keeping him in a cage during the day when she works, and she works until 8:00pm, long time, and it's dark when she gets home. Now she has to let him in her back yard leashed, as he can jump her short fence. He just mostly barks while outside leashed. Nothing else for him to do I reckon being leashed.

It's just a shame, and I'm kinda pissed that I even know about all of this, because if the dog hadn't come into my yard for two nights, I'd never even know anything.

Ah well..
First of all if you think the dog is being malnurished you should let the spca know... the'll usually send someone out to check on the animal.

Next, all the behaviors you're describing are symptoms of boredom. If you leave an active dog (and he sounds like an active dog) alone all day in the house he's going to be destructive. If you leave an active dog tied up outside all day he's going to bark constantly. Sounds to me like she's got a dog that is poorly matched to her needs. I'd suggest to her that she find it a new home and get herself a cat, they don't need the attention like dogs do.

If she asks you about training, I can tell you what my wife (a trainer) would say... "With active dogs you need to be spending several hours a day with the dog, the dog should be strenuously exercised several times a day and the owner should enroll in a basic obediance course. Obediance won't help with the acting out but it will help provide the owner with some training tools that, in addition to keeping the dog busy, will transform the unruly dog into a great pet."

Finally, once she has some basic dog obediance and motivation skills (the owner not the dog), she should buy a crate and start crate training the dog so it can stay inside even while the owner is gone. If you have a dog and leave it outside all the time... why have a dog (hunting and sporting dogs excepted)?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #14
Epona
Zartan

What Thoran said.

Sounds as if the dog needs more attention, more exercise, and some basic obedience training.

Dogs are pack animals and will readily fit in with a human 'pack' but they aren't equipped to spend long periods by themselves, it's just not in their nature.

Having read armageddon272's post I think it's the old nature vs 'nurture' argument all over again (sorry, I'll get my coat)
Old 11-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
ROFL Epona

Yeah, I was thinking exactly what Thoran said - boredom and poor training. Also better security - dogs can only get out (regularly) if their owners let them. One thing she might find useful (although I wonder if she could be bothered since she hasn't shown a lot of concern thus far, but anyway...) is taking the dog for a long tiring walk before she leaves for work in the morning. My relatives looked after our dog for a week a few years ago, and left her outside when they went to work with their dogs. Bubbles was not used to this at all and she cried and howled and generally made a real show of herself. They started walking her in the morning and tired her out and she stopped.

Possibly she could hire someone (there are all sorts of pet-caring services popping up these days, and such) to walk him while she's at work.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #16
Ladyzekke

I have never seen her walking the dog (Jack is his name). One thing, this lady had two dogs, both real black and furry, but whatever they were their tails curl up in the back. Well one died this past summer. So I reckon she got this new dog to keep the other one company. But the other one is probably much older, and never jumped the fence, and may be content to hang about the house and not eat the furniture LOL.

I think she had today off, as I did. Because I heard Jack barking all day, so I guess she put him out back on a chain.

I do not think she is ready for Jack, and I hope she makes efforts to find him a good home where people will give him the love and attention, and exercise!. he needs. I don't know what she's doing atm, I don't talk to her very often, in fact this was the first time I even spoke to her recently because of Jack.

I don't think she will do the obedience school thing, as I do not see her making any other efforts with Jack, sooo.

Ack, I wish I knew someone who could take him, again he is rambunctious but still one sweeeet and soooft doggie! Sigh.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #17
Thoran
Galvatron

Well if you don't mind being a heel you could start complaining about the dog barking all day. Start off just having a friendly conversation with her about it. If she doesn't get the hint then maybe SUGGEST that maybe Jack would be happier elsewhere. If she STILL doesn't get the hint then perhaps a dog noise complaint at the spca will get her to act.

It's kindof a crappy thing to have to do but it may get her to realize that Jack isn't the right dog for her.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:40 PM   #18
Ladyzekke

Not sure if I want to go the complaining route, only because it's not my style, and it could possibly cause problems with other neighbors if they found out I was reporting them to the SPCA. Not to mention I feed squirrels peanuts in my back yard all the time, and also I feed a stray cat, so they could get back at me I suppose if they wanted LOL.

I will though next time I speak with her encourage her to find Jack a new, better home. Hey Thoran, want a dog?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #19
Ladyzekke

Not really an update. Neighbor is still wanting to get rid of Jack, and she may be close to sending him to the pound, where he may or may not get adopted, if he isn't he is euthanized. He was wandering in my yard this morning, so I got dressed and popped out there to get a pic of him. I'm sending the pic to my sis-in-law, in hopes she may advertise and help him find a good home (she has experience and has been involved in dog adoptions re the net). He is so sweet. When you pet him he leans on you, awww.

Here's a pic of Jack: [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-28-2004, 11:27 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Looks like a great dog...

Seems a bit scrawny in the loin regions to me, but I'm not a real dog person. Does he appear well-fed?

Good luck on getting him placed [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.