Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-31-2001, 10:29 AM   #111
Bleys
Dungeon Master

As well as monsters, don't forget the NPC The monsters play a roll, but you need a lot of NPCs, like possible allies of the hero, others who want to stop the hero, ones which will join the hero on his quest.

Old 05-31-2001, 01:39 PM   #112
Link
Jack Burton

I am aware of that, and thinking about possible NPC's while we speak.. ehm.. write/ type whatever!! I guess i shall put a party member in which will deflect to the evil side.. that's cool.. Will keep ya informed...!!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 06-01-2001, 06:43 AM   #113
Legolas the Elven Archer

That sounds like a good idea, Link. Unexpected twists in the plot can keep the storyline refreshing, and of all the things that could happen, things involving those closest to you are always the most unexpected ones. If you want to take this idea really far, you could even let the partymember become the Upholder's champion or something, who knows most of your weaknesses etc.. Or the Upholder might take posessionof his body to give you wrong advice or attack at an unexpected time.
And if the big bad baddie can control people, maybe you could stage a fight in the main character's head (meaning some weird fantasy setting or something).

There's another thing: in movies the final enemy always waits with taking action until the main character is in his castle or whatever. But why shouldn't he attack the whole time? You'd need the aid of powerful NPC's to keep him off you, providing another reason to do the quests.

And Earthdog, I haven't read Eddings yet, but I'll make sure I do

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-01-2001, 09:27 AM   #114
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

The Eddings books are most excellent... everyone i know that read them loved all of them.

Also check out the Chroincles of Amber by Roger Zelazney----- awesome!!!!! some of the best ever written.

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 12:27 PM   #115
Link
Jack Burton

Will think about it Legolas, and... don't mind Earthdog whining about some stupid books.. He did it with me as well!!! No offence Earthie!!!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 06-01-2001, 03:11 PM   #116
Legolas the Elven Archer

Oh, but I don't mind at all. Always nice to know about fantasy books which exist but haven't been read by me yet. Especially if others like the books as well. But I have to say that this is not really the place to discuss books, but then again, neither is this discussion of what to include in a game. I don't mind.

Another thought, when (not if, though that might be more appropriate. I have faith!) you finish the game, ask the guys that are labouring so hard on the Ironworks site to put it there, so we can all enjoy your work

------------------

Old 06-03-2001, 04:43 AM   #117
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

WEll you really should read the Chronicles of Amber. Seriously some of the very best fantasy books ever written. You have GOT to read them. youll agree.

Just for you Link .......

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2001, 03:41 PM   #118
Link
Jack Burton

Earthdog: LOL!!! Yeah well, everybody should be happy, cos i figured out a new quest!!! It will involve a mirror..

"Thirteen years ago, the evil Archmage Reneval was dying, being pursued by an anonymous wizard hunter. Reneval, knowing his life was about to end, refused to believe he was about to leave the Plane of the Living. He then created a magical mirror, a reflection of the Halfworld, and transferred his soul into the artifact. This mirror, known as the Mirror of Reflection, has been guarded by the ascendents of the wizard hunter that pursuad Reneval.
They will guard it forever, letting no one but the Truthfull Ones(*) near. They fear that Reneval may be released, and that his evil spirit will once again walk the Earth. "

(*)
The Truthfull Ones are three of the remaining descendents of the wizard hunter. He left a certain ring, the Ring of Perfection. This ring will point out the Truthfullness of the person wearing it, and thus point out if he or she is capable of performing the task of guarding the mirror.

Of course all of you think it is a brilliant story, and so do I. I think it is a good opportunity for creating a new party member (one of the Truthfull Ones perhaps. I think I'll let one of them turn evil, and open the mirror, so Reneval will walk the Halfworld. That would resolve in a quest of course). Of course you will have to travel in the mirror, which will reveal the true
identity of Reneval.

Please note that the story is not yet complete, and needs a lot of things 'til perfection.

------------------
Old 06-04-2001, 06:04 AM   #119
Legolas the Elven Archer

I have to agree, it's a fine story
and here's some help perfecting it.
First of all, think about how you imagine the main character getting involved in the quest? Does he accidentaly stumble across the truthfull ones or is he led by something? Does the wizard posess a piece of the sword, or is it a stand-alone quest?
You should also think on wether the mage has just been released or is still in the mirror, and on how the PC is allowed to approach the mirror if the mage is still imprisoned.
Is the mage to be defeated right away, or will he escape to aid the Upholder?
(You already said it will be a long hunt, but what I mean is Will the mage be helping the Upholder. If he does, the big badguy may send him on a quest to retrieve an artifact that will make him practically unstoppable).

Next, you said (typed) something about finding a new party member. This is always a good idea, as long as the party isn't getting too big. You'll have to think about the member's motives, though, as you don't just join someone to kill a really powerful enemy for fun (unless you've been hit on the head once too often). I also thought, depending on the importance of this quest, it would be a good idea to have that partymember that you talked about earlier swich sides and release the mage while you were talking to the truthful ones.

And as for the mirror world, wouldn't it be a nice idea to change the controls so that left is right etc.? That would certainly make it mirror!

Well, that's about it for now. More questions than answers so far, but it should get you thinking on some of the details and the context of the quest

Oh, and Earthdog, I noticed you haven't even mentioned Ursula LeGuin. Don't tell me you've never read A wizard of Earthsea...

------------------

Old 06-04-2001, 10:21 AM   #120
Bleys
Dungeon Master

Good idea's there, you could even throw in the ultimate PC killer (A copy of the Hero) and that could lead to all sorts of interesting things especially if both of you left the mirror world. Also if you are allowing the player to play evil characters a weakened version of Reneval could join the party.

PS.
Earthdog nice to see another Amber fan.