Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-28-2001, 01:33 PM   #11
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

But still, They should make an AD&d Game (Never Winter is one of them I hope), that makes it more of a Chalange, IWD I bought Because I wanted a Dungeon Crawl a simple point A to Point B kill all monsters like Diablo. Bg2 Is a grayish area, limitations prevent form giving every options but it's a good game but you get to super high Levels to quickly and it takes something from it.

I know I say this all the time but They should make a game where it harder, (Not flood the game with 10000 Mindflayers or other mystical creatures, Thecnicly a aventure would have one chance in 10000 to meet a Dragon),

But let the maximum be Lv5 (The level of an average elite guard) and face creatures that are gonna be a chalange, (I would love it to be Ravenloft) Put it in a low magical world where a +1 sword is a rare. People are affraid an Ignorant of magic, minor stuff like Magic missile is not unheard of but Merchants and wizards cringe when you talk about Death Fog. A game where you realise your human six Humans againts a vampire while it's awake should bearly make it, if make it at all. Instead the player must investigate to find the vampire's lair and dispose of his minion (wich are beatable) during the day, If Night falls the vampire rises to defend his lair if the Player leaves the vampire increases his defences for the next visit.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:19 PM   #12
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

bump
Old 03-29-2001, 12:47 AM   #13
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I agree Mem.. 40th level is totally crazy. It's basically a god..

Ziroc
Well isn't that the whole point?
You are a god or at least a half-god, who knows who your mother was, that could be the etenal phoenix or something. But you are a half-god and thus you are very powerful, Now i agree that the levels you get are a bit outragious but i can see the point, what i can't see is that normal, non-god NPC's can get as powerful as you, The Half-God. Ofcourse it's more fair to divide the XP equaly amongt the whole party but It is You who should kill most of the enemy's and deal with most of the Quests

------------------

All Hail the Seventh house Sorcerer
Master Magician of Necromancy
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Shadowlord of the Silver Shield
Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-29-2001, 01:12 AM   #14
Dog of War
The Magister

I still like a message I left a while ago, by creating certain experinces a youth and thus by answering questiosn you progress a certain way. Now I agree I could sit through a game if I went on just wnadering around. But I still waiting for the multiple ending game.. and completely different routes... I also like developing skills by doing certain things more.. I would leanr a sword by using it or traiing with it, liek M&M... Or find a master of a certain spell, and not everyone finds the same thing.. cool huh?
Old 03-29-2001, 01:38 AM   #15
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, somewhere between all that i writtenth main core must be, that RPG is what YOU want to mke it. Like Larry_OHF said, tha there are The Rules and wrong rules.. bahambug. When we play the PnP nd espacially a couple og years ago we started out a campaig in Dragonlance universe, everybody wanted to be a Dragon Knight, so well since all wanted that, we made them and played with them. LVL 14 Fighters in the PNP game are very very good, nd riding on a dragon.. Yihaa.. well the thing is tha you still can balance it, gie you the escapisim, not in the umbers, well they´re not there for me, but the environment, the action the thrill.
In BG2 claiming to be a DnD 2:ed based game they had Kits, I liked that idea, aren´t in the rules?, so waht there are hundreds of books, fanzine, magzines and such for Adod gamees, and in the first book there are some sentances we usually forget: "Feel free to change any rules so that they suit your style of playing, the main idea of the game is to have fun!" Thoose weren´t the exact words, but more or less so.
I had fun playing BG2, just something nagging in my head about the quick leveling, well your main character ok, child og Baaal, godly powers. Anomen? A god? of what? Aerie, demigod of wailing? Hmm..

Well, this is interesting, but I think that CRPG´s will always lose to PnP games when it comes to suitability and (damn to hard to spell words comming up here) versality?? hmm.. doesn´even look right.. Well, though CRPG´s gives you the chance to play with friends from all over the world and to join up in clans and such.. (Yes I long for broadband connection and Neverwinter Nights! )...

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 03-29-2001, 07:28 AM   #16
Erekose
The Magister

Thanks for everyones feedback. If you want to go to level 1 to godhood in one game, fair enough but what is the point? The great advantage of the PnP version is that, in any campaign apart from a Monty-Hall one, going up levels is a struggle. The gold box games did this with great success, who else remembers battling kobolds and goblins for 2 weeks . For those who played Curse of Azure Bonds, remember the conflict with Dracondrus in the drow tower? The single drow guard on the stairs who beat the tar out of your whole party? Great fun. Durlag's Tower was the only example i can think of in the current series that was that challenging. I hope for the BG2 expansion they include something that entertaining.
Cheers
Old 03-29-2001, 08:07 AM   #17
Sir_Tainly

This is just the "soap opera mentality", whereby the events of a whole families lifetime can be compressed in a few ihr slotsa for TV. I mean to be totally realistic, chances are you are not going to be heroes, just farmers, carpenters etc. If a realm had so many heroes, who would do all the mundane stuff. I used to know a group of PnP guys that used to play as level 0 characters, just ordinary people flung in an adventure they were ill prepared for. Probably more rewarding, but when a goblin assumes godlike status, the whole heroic deed stuff becomes trivialised.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 03-29-2001, 08:27 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
This is just the "soap opera mentality", whereby the events of a whole families lifetime can be compressed in a few ihr slotsa for TV. I mean to be totally realistic, chances are you are not going to be heroes, just farmers, carpenters etc. If a realm had so many heroes, who would do all the mundane stuff. I used to know a group of PnP guys that used to play as level 0 characters, just ordinary people flung in an adventure they were ill prepared for. Probably more rewarding, but when a goblin assumes godlike status, the whole heroic deed stuff becomes trivialised.

I guess that's the concept behind Ultima Online - you can be totally normal if you want to. More about roleplaying as opposed to beating a game.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-29-2001, 08:31 AM   #19
Erekose
The Magister

Good point Memnoch. What is next for the D&D computer game, power armour with shoulder mounted rocket launchers?
Old 03-29-2001, 08:31 AM   #20
Sir_Tainly

Indeed Memnoch, that's what I was thinking about but didn't mention it as I know a lot of folks don't like UO (I've never played it), they complain about everything killing you when your a newbie, whether it is Pking or a deer when you're out wood cutting

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123