Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-21-2001, 10:22 AM   #11
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

The sheer number of magical items just amazed me.

When I played PNP AD&D we might have called the BG milieu a giveaway show campaign, being used to a world where a +3 sword was really something to write home about, and a rare and unusual thing.

The BG world seems to have reaped the benefits of having 10,000 mages spending their entire careers enchanting everything they see. The world is awash in magic potions, items, weapons.

On the other hand, my characters die on a regular basis, and the party often takes hundreds of hp in damage from tough encounters, so perhaps you could say that the rewards and risks are balanced.

Its just my opinion, but I liked it better when magic was more rare and special.

It seems that I remember reading about tthe spell that an MU would need to cast to create a magic item, and it was a really long and complex spell.

[This message has been edited by Terence The Unspecial (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old 08-21-2001, 11:38 AM   #12
Redblueflare
Galvatron

The lamest thing i've found so far (Other than the defeat of dragons with meteor swarms and such.) is the fact that enemy mages always carry a vocalize spell. What use is power word silence if the enemy can always cast vocalize? I wouldn't care, but the fact is they aren't supposed to be able to do that! Once you're silenced you can't cast anything! So why can the enemy do it?

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:16 PM   #13
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

the spell vocalize itself does not require vocal components. But while the enemy is casting Vocalize, it isn't casting shadow door and therefore I can breach his/her protection from magical weapons and my barbarian can come and kick its ass. also, priests can't cast vocalize. (I think)
Old 08-21-2001, 03:26 PM   #14
LSRVIKING
The Magister

Not enough evil npcs that can join your party. You cant be all the interesting races like the Githyanki. Also any German, or other foreign version game sucks. The reason is that in Germany theres a law! No Blood and a lot of violence in games! In America theres no law like that! Remember the game Carmageddon. In the US version you run over pedestrians and senior citizens lol. In the UK version you run over zombies with green blood LAME. In the german version you run over robots with no blood at all ahahaha. The dirty politicians wanna make a law about it! We need blood and violence to suppress our needs.

[This message has been edited by LSRVIKING (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old 08-22-2001, 03:14 PM   #15
Starkiller
The Magister

Well, I think I can explain the hordes of magical items...BG2 is something of a crossover between 2nd and 3rd edition, and in 3rd it is MUCH easier to create magical stuff...hell, a first level mage can do it if they are willing to lose xp (to a certain extent). As for my biggest problems with the game:

1. I don't know about the others, but the mage stronghold BLOWS! Okay, fine, so you can't make magical items and golems and turn yourself into a lich and stuff, but a planar sphere should AT LEAST be able to...oh, I don't know...TRAVEL THE PLANES!! I mean come on...

2. I agree with trux that the dialougues often leave you sounding dumb...SPOILER...It would be so cool if you cloud say..."Well, I think I'l be leaving with her now...IRENICUS or something of the sort. I think ymost of you know what part I am talking about, don't want to spoil too much.

3. Similar to my second problem with the game, BG2 has a problem many games have which is that when you read a scroll, apparently you do not READ THE SCROLL. I really hope they learn to fix this soon in games, as it really ruins any feeling of connection with your character as in knowing what he knows, and trying to figure things out when you read a scroll that says something to the effect of "haha, I will hide inside this clown outfit and talk to Starkiller, once his guard is lowered I will trap him in another plane!!" You put the scroll in your bag, walk about ten steps and then...oh look, a clown! "Hello mr. clown, I...aaahhh..." I saw it coming, WHY DIDNT MY CHARACTER?

4.Why isn't there a more evil dialougue line with Irenicus. Why do you have to say "I will destroy you" I always found the hinted at power that Irenicus could have unlocked for you much more interesting, but there is no way to follow up on it, and finally

5.You are a child of Bhaal, shouldn't you have something special and cool about you. A CHILD OF A GOD should have something more than a couple inherent 2nd level priest spells. Maybe some specially taylored powers? Something? Someone? Come on, maybe?

Thank you for listening to my rant. Despite all this, I love the game.

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 08-22-2001, 03:29 PM   #16
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller:
?
(snip)

Thank you for listening to my rant. Despite all this, I love the game.

Well, its only the really good games that people get passionate about. You don't see a lot of emotional chat on the Go Fish or the Checkers message boards.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:31 PM   #17
fdirs
Dungeon Master

This may be going out on a limb but...
How about lack of horses you can ride. If the landscapes were bigger horses would be cool. More money to spend(barding, lances, saddle bags, etc.) And how about monster lairs? I get to what I think is a monster lair and there is only like 10 guys there, I remember on paper there would be close to 60 or 70, nearly impossible ya know. Hmm, I don't remember my guys being hungry at all, I have not once needed iron rations anyone else? I doubt it. Anybody find a keyring? that would be a great addition too. Having a house of my own would also help. I seem to run out of space in my inventory all the time. I know about the bag of holding but whatever. I think if Baldur's Gate and the Ultima 7's were combine somehow you could have an awesome game.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:43 PM   #18
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Too many magical items, it's just a hack 'n' slash game, and starting at high levels blow, 2nd level, yes, 3rd level, maybe, but 7th-8th level? No way, that's just too high, and being the child of a god is useless, I mean, the damn avatar just SUX! My mage is more powerful in close combat when wielding his Staff Of The Magi than as the slayer, too few evil NPCs, too few locations, too many bonusses given to "good" behaviour, I mean, discounts, rewards, and all that stuff, when you're evil, maybe you should be allowed to trade with the smugglers and slave traders and get special stuff there, also, NPCs almost NEVER react differently due to your alignment, there's ONE place in ToB where one NPC does, but no more than ONE place in SoA.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:53 PM   #19
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by debiler:
The speakers in the german version are pretty boring.

Lucky me living in sweden. The games that are being released here is only avaliable in english

Though, you darn germans, frensh and spains is screwing thing up for us
When Konami was producing the PAL-version of Metal Gear Solid they had to translate it to your languages... but we people knowing english well enough to play the game in that language had still to wait for the translated versions

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-22-2001, 03:56 PM   #20
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by fdirs:
Having a house of my own would also help. I seem to run out of space in my inventory all the time.

Do you know that you can get strongholds, wich = houses... though the magehold reaaally suck

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen